Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About five months ago I posted here wondering why I was so resistant to Ruger's .22 firearms. Since then, I've read a lot of good stuff about the Wrangler, and its predecessor, the Single Six. I like the idea of the interchangeable cylinders on the Single Six, and it seems like the Wrangler is basically a corner-cutting version. There are some Single Sixes on GunBroker and while they are pricier than the Wrangler, they don't seem out of the ball park.

So, if I want to get a SAA plinking range gun, should I just forget about the Single Six and just pull in a Wranger?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I took the plunge and got a Wrangler. Turned out to be a good purchase. A good way to get back into SA shooting and for the price you can not go wrong. The Single Six is a very good SA and very reliable. Right now prices are crazy but if you find a Single Six and it fits you get one.
*My Wrangler turned out be a great way to spend time shooting and I do NOT regret going with this one. We have some older Single Sixes that are still great but if you decide to try the Wrangler I think you will find it will do the job. SA is not for everyone so try both and see for yourself. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The single six is a very different gun. It is higher end with adjustable sights.
That's a great point. I think the wrangler sights would be Bush bean can accurate and a perfect plinker. I see them for sale in my neck of the woods for as low as $169 to $200. Den

·
Registered
333 Posts
Two different firearms, if you want a well fitted handgun with no finish blemishes go with the Six, if you can live with some slight imperfections then go Wrangler ... I have both and enjoy both but the Six shoots much nicer than the Wrangler ...

·
Registered
176 Posts
The Wrangler is Ruger's response to the Heritage Rough Rider with a little higher quality. Ruger saw that Heritage sells piles of Rough Riders and understandably wanted in on the action.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I handled one just the other day. It was tight as a drum. This one was black and the Cerakote finish was nice and smooth. Although I didn't let the hammer fall the trigger felt very usable. It is a small weapon but I should have expected that. The price was $199 and they had all the colors. I might pick one up. Den

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've bid on a couple of Single Sixes on GunBroker, but I refuse to go crazy and have been outbid every time. I looked at the Heritage Rough Rider, and from what I've heard the Wrangler is the better firearm. I may just get a Wrangler (I really like the 'convertible' feature of the Single Six, though -- I have a NAA that shoots .22WMR, so it would be nice to have a couple of different round types to shoot.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've got a Wrangler and a Rough Rider. I wouldn't say the Wrangler is really any better. I'm going to get a 22 magnum cylinder for my RR and basically just use it as a magnum. You can get both and still have less money than in a Single Six. Like others have said, it is in a totally different league from the Wrangler or RR.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts