Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About five months ago I posted here wondering why I was so resistant to Ruger's .22 firearms. Since then, I've read a lot of good stuff about the Wrangler, and its predecessor, the Single Six. I like the idea of the interchangeable cylinders on the Single Six, and it seems like the Wrangler is basically a corner-cutting version. There are some Single Sixes on GunBroker and while they are pricier than the Wrangler, they don't seem out of the ball park.

So, if I want to get a SAA plinking range gun, should I just forget about the Single Six and just pull in a Wranger?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I took the plunge and got a Wrangler. Turned out to be a good purchase. A good way to get back into SA shooting and for the price you can not go wrong. The Single Six is a very good SA and very reliable. Right now prices are crazy but if you find a Single Six and it fits you get one.
*My Wrangler turned out be a great way to spend time shooting and I do NOT regret going with this one. We have some older Single Sixes that are still great but if you decide to try the Wrangler I think you will find it will do the job. SA is not for everyone so try both and see for yourself. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
The single six is a very different gun. It is higher end with adjustable sights.
That's a great point. I think the wrangler sights would be Bush bean can accurate and a perfect plinker. I see them for sale in my neck of the woods for as low as $169 to $200. Den

·
Registered
341 Posts
Two different firearms, if you want a well fitted handgun with no finish blemishes go with the Six, if you can live with some slight imperfections then go Wrangler ... I have both and enjoy both but the Six shoots much nicer than the Wrangler ...

·
Registered
205 Posts
The Wrangler is Ruger's response to the Heritage Rough Rider with a little higher quality. Ruger saw that Heritage sells piles of Rough Riders and understandably wanted in on the action.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I handled one just the other day. It was tight as a drum. This one was black and the Cerakote finish was nice and smooth. Although I didn't let the hammer fall the trigger felt very usable. It is a small weapon but I should have expected that. The price was $199 and they had all the colors. I might pick one up. Den

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've bid on a couple of Single Sixes on GunBroker, but I refuse to go crazy and have been outbid every time. I looked at the Heritage Rough Rider, and from what I've heard the Wrangler is the better firearm. I may just get a Wrangler (I really like the 'convertible' feature of the Single Six, though -- I have a NAA that shoots .22WMR, so it would be nice to have a couple of different round types to shoot.

Reactions: SGW Gunsmith

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've got a Wrangler and a Rough Rider. I wouldn't say the Wrangler is really any better. I'm going to get a 22 magnum cylinder for my RR and basically just use it as a magnum. You can get both and still have less money than in a Single Six. Like others have said, it is in a totally different league from the Wrangler or RR.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've bid on a couple of Single Sixes on GunBroker, but I refuse to go crazy and have been outbid every time. I looked at the Heritage Rough Rider, and from what I've heard the Wrangler is the better firearm. I may just get a Wrangler (I really like the 'convertible' feature of the Single Six, though -- I have a NAA that shoots .22WMR, so it would be nice to have a couple of different round types to shoot.
The gun prices, even for "used guns", on Gunbroker for almost the last year have gone berserk.
I would vote for the Ruger Single Six also, for the adjustable sight especially, 'cause of the extra cylinder involved and the myriad of .22 Long Rifle ammunition, that were once available, back in the "good 'ol days".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts