Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I asked Ruger customer service if LCP MAX is California compliant. At first the CS rep said yes if with the 10 round mag only. Then I said it's not on the CA list. She left and came back saying no, not legal.

Does anyone know if Ruger has or will submit this or the other LCPs for approval? The only one on the list is LC380. Does the entire LCP series lack something CA wants, meaning they will not be approved (until CA is forced to end the restrictions)?

·
Registered
86 Posts
California supreme court upheld the state microstamping requirement for bullet and casing (both must be marked in the act of firing a round through the firearm), for any newly introduced model of firearm, sold in the state.

Not gonna be any new firearm models available in California.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don’t think the LCP Max is considered newly introduced. It was designed before th CA law went into effect. I believe that the LCP Max does not have a manual safety, which, as I recall, is required in CA along with a magazine safety.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So a pistol with no manual safety, like a Kel-Tec P32, is legal to own and carry in CA because it's been around for 15 or 20 years?

California Rifle & Pistol Association filed suit two weeks ago to invalidate the handgun roster here. It's Boland v. Bonta (Bonta is our Attorney General). CRPA has several suits going against the state: standard capacity mags, "assault" rifles, gun selliing (aka gun shows) at state-owned fairgrounds, and more. I hope CRPA doesn't run out of money!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So a pistol with no manual safety, like a Kel-Tec P32, is legal to own and carry in CA because it's been around for 15 or 20 years?

California Rifle & Pistol Association filed suit two weeks ago to invalidate the handgun roster here. It's Boland v. Bonta (Bonta is our Attorney General). CRPA has several suits going against the state: standard capacity mags, "assault" rifles, gun selliing (aka gun shows) at state-owned fairgrounds, and more. I hope CRPA doesn't run out of money!
Pretty sure the only Ruger pistol that is kosher to sell in CA now is the LC380. Not talking about the revolvers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Law was passed and signed in 2020.
Went into effect January 1, 2021.
Court challenge failed a month or two ago.

Law states that any gun to be added to the list, must have all of the requirements. So any gun not on the list has to have every requirement to be added to the list.

I expected to look and see no new additions since 2020.
According to this story from this year:
"No new handguns have been added to the roster since its implementation in 2013."

By the way, the last line in the column of the list on the state page indicates the expiration date. And every gun on the approved list has an expiration date of 01/01/23:

California phased out firearms just like they set a date that no new gasoline powered cars may be imported or sold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Law was passed and signed in 2020.
Went into effect January 1, 2021.
Court challenge failed a month or two ago.

Law states that any gun to be added to the list, must have all of the requirements. So any gun not on the list has to have every requirement to be added to the list.

I expected to look and see no new additions since 2020.
According to this story from this year:
"No new handguns have been added to the roster since its implementation in 2013."

By the way, the last line in the column of the list on the state page indicates the expiration date. And every gun on the approved list has an expiration date of 01/01/23:

California phased out firearms just like they set a date that no new gasoline powered cars may be imported or sold.
Thanks, informative article. The state is pushing the envelope so far it will turn around and bite them in the courts. For this issue it will be a combination of 2nd and 14th Amendments that do them in. I feel disenfranchised because I can't buy a LCP MAX. Some in Sacramento say they want to push these laws to make the other side react or not. An anti-gun orgy movie with Gov. Newsome the director.

·
Registered
86 Posts
One correction:
All the guns on the list have an expiration date of 01/01/23, because that is when they come up for renewal.

Another brilliantly crafted scam from the state of California. Described here:

The manufacturer has to pay to renew each listing every year, and submit an exact model of every gun to match each line item in the approved list.Ruger has 81 lines of approved guns, so they pay 81 renewal fees and submits another 81 guns to the state of California, to test and examine... ...and keep.

So, there won't be any new guns added to that list.
The manufacturers are being bled to keep the models they got approved 15 years ago, on that list.
Any manufacturer who wants to continue forking over money, has an incentive to continue making the models on the list, so they have something to sell in California.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One correction:
All the guns on the list have an expiration date of 01/01/23, because that is when they come up for renewal.

Another brilliantly crafted scam from the state of California. Described here:

The manufacturer has to pay to renew each listing every year, and submit an exact model of every gun to match each line item in the approved list.Ruger has 81 lines of approved guns, so they pay 81 renewal fees and submits another 81 guns to the state of California, to test and examine... ...and keep.

So, there won't be any new guns added to that list.
The manufacturers are being bled to keep the models they got approved 15 years ago, on that list.
Any manufacturer who wants to continue forking over money, has an incentive to continue making the models on the list, so they have something to sell in California.
It's much like what the California Air Resources Board does to regulate non-stock engine-related equipment. An aftermarket manufacturer that makes a part - for performance improvement or just cosmetic - has to submit it to CARB for approval which might include testing. Fees can be quite large. For example, I know a manufacturer who sells a dual fuel injection pump kit for diesel pickups. It raises the flow potential but does nothing to negatively affect emissions (which is what CARB is supposed to be looking for). Every time this company adds a model year truck to his marketing materials for that part number, even if the engine, his parts, and the part number do not change, he has to pay $10,000. This is one reason the CA legislature and the governor has a budget surplus of nearly $100 billion. I won't go into what they do with that money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts