Ruger Pistol Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
yeah if you get a good shot like everyone else said, but tell your wife it has absolutely no chance at it at all of doing anything other than pissing it off so you get a new gun :)

or just get a slower friend

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
TRIGGER_1 said:
Some slaughter houses use .22...................... ;D ;D ;D
...but the domestic hog is restrained at the slaughter house. From the instruction manual for commercial hog slaughter:

"Correct positioning for this method is critical. The
shot should be directed at the midline of the
forehead 1 finger width above eye level.
The penetrating captive bolt should be placed very
firmly against the skull and directed upward
approximately 20o toward the brain. A charge large
enough to cause the bolt to penetrate the skull of a
sow or boar should be used (0.22 3gr Green
cartridge). The gunshot method requires that the
firearm to be held about 2 to 10 inches from the
skull at the same position described for penetrating
captive bolt."

.....or gamecock could just save a few bucks and use a baseball bat, another common low-tech farmer's method to take 'um out... ;D

Tarheel

...gc...get a bigger gun if it's a SD issue...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Bgoff689 said:
gamecock said:
Thanks for the good advice everyone. I would only be using my LCP on a hog if I was being charged and I was not able to get back to the truck safely. I would definitely not use it for hunting hogs. However, I don't want to take any chances, because hogs are very dangerous. Maybe it will be a good excuse to get another gun...can I tell the wife that you all recommended it? She surely can't argue about a legit safety issue, right?
Sounds like a real good excuse for you to buy another gun. Depending on what size they have running around your area, being prepared is probably a good idea, especially since they are on a hunting ground. I've got a real good S&W 4043 that with the right shot placement should do the job. Of course depending of the size of the boar. I've dropped a few domestic ones with a 38 or even a 22LR and it's that placement thing like the rest of the fellows keep pointing out. Think worse case scenario and go from there. Boars have small brains and heads, plus a thick skull and big teeth.

You got me thinking about this so I did a little reading. Here is a good read on Boars.
Where to Shoot a Wild Boar Hog, and How Much Gun to Use

http://hunting.about.com/od/deerbiggame/a/wheretoshoothog.htm

Good luck. I lived in North Dakota for 6 years and made a few trips out to some wilderness areas, the best all around pistol to carry there was a 44 Mag.
BG, the link you provided is good reading. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Gator,

Open carry isn't a problem on our land.

BG,

Great link. Thanks for posting that.

I don't want to take any chances, so it looks like it's time for a new gun!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Taking a 380 LCP to a hog fight is like taking a knife to a gun fight. A sling shot would also kill a hog if you are close, hit the hog in both eyes and are sitting in a tall tree. Good luck on your hog hunt!

·
Registered
935 Posts
gamecock said:
Gator,
Open carry isn't a problem on our land.
Good to know that gc.. It's been a while since I've been in SC, so I did a quick search on OC.org & found out that 'public' oc is a strict no-no (like it is here in FL when I'm here in FL). With cats & hogs about you need a heck of a lot more than miss Pea watching your six. You can PM me & I'll give you my phone # and tell you wife that directly ;)
I flat out LOVE my Win '94 Trapper carbine. Bottom of a Coke Can accurate w/ iron sights @ 100 yards, and with BuffaloBore 180 gr. hard cast, hard to see how you'd need much more punch unless you were in Grizz country. The Trapper works well in a scabbard (4-wheeler or horse), and it is a "true classic" (imvho).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Unfortunately I have recently discovered that I have a wild hog problem on my hunting land. I haven't seen any in person yet, but our game cameras have captured pictures of them. Accordingly, everyone that frequents the property has been advised to carry a weapon at all times in case they encounter a hog. Knowing that wild hogs are tough as nails, I am wondering if my LCP would kill one. Does anyone think that the LCP would do the job, or do I need to buy another bigger pistol for hog defense? (Of course, the pistol would be used only when I don't have my .30-06 or 12ga with me.)
I have never used the .380 are you accurate with your .380 LCP ? I know 9mm kills them I had a Small Boar charge me within 15 yards of me and I shot 4 times quickly 3 rounds hit in the chest and one between the eyes it stopped his charge my first Hog Kill with a micro compact 9mm Springfield Hell Cat . But I have killed several with a Ruger 10/22 .22 LR at 50 to 100 yards over a bait pile from a 25' Ladder Stand and I have used the Ruger PC 9 9mm carbine Rife on several occasions at night with night vision . But walking on the ground In a Boar Infested property I would carry a 12 Gauge loaded with OO Buck Shot .A Small Boar like the one below can injure or kill you.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Unfortunately I have recently discovered that I have a wild hog problem on my hunting land. I haven't seen any in person yet, but our game cameras have captured pictures of them. Accordingly, everyone that frequents the property has been advised to carry a weapon at all times in case they encounter a hog. Knowing that wild hogs are tough as nails, I am wondering if my LCP would kill one. Does anyone think that the LCP would do the job, or do I need to buy another bigger pistol for hog defense? (Of course, the pistol would be used only when I don't have my .30-06 or 12ga with me.)
I am a Professional Nuisance Wild Life Control Operator who specializes in the eradication Feral Hogs / Wild Boar & Coyotes. These are only a few Wild Boar I killed with a .22lr Ruger 10 /22 Rifle equipped with Night Vision .To Date since August 2020 on one contracted Property I have killed well over 400 Hogs & 45 Coyotes according to my game trail cameras there is no more left on the property past week going to give it a month before I declare VICTORY ,So now I am going to focus on the Coyotes until August 2021 .You don't need a large caliber to kill these beasts but if you are on the ground with them that's another story hi capacity 9mm will work fine remember distance & shot placement is what its all about not caliber .I am out in the field day and night doing my job .

I have donated 2,700 pounds of processed pork to the local food banks and church pantry's to feed the needy for free.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Probably would kill the poor thing if it was in a pen and the shooter has 10 full magazines of 8 rounds. Can't understand WHY anyone would brag about a fiasco like that though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Probably would kill the poor thing if it was in a pen and the shooter has 10 full magazines of 8 rounds. Can't understand WHY anyone would brag about a fiasco like that though.
I say It would only take one round to the head at a close distance of about 25 ' and these Wild Boar are not poor things they are large dangerous game if .380 is all he has it has the velocity to penetrate the Hogs Skull if a .22 caliber Benjamin prowler pellet rifle launching 14.3 grain pellet at about 750 FPS can bring one down the .380 ACP can bring one down..

Reactions: IndigoWolf

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had one a little less than 200 lbs in a trap and from less than 1 ft and directly on top of his head I can say for fact "IT WILL NOT" . Now I carry my rifle or 44 mag .

·
Registered
169 Posts
We had one a little less than 200 lbs in a trap and from less than 1 ft and directly on top of his head I can say for fact "IT WILL NOT" . Now I carry my rifle or 44 mag .
You can tell this guy has never shot a hog with anything but his mouth . A 22 short was often used the dispatch hogs in pens to slaughter them. the Fact the .380 acp has more penetration than a .22 Short or .22 LR is evident . These Wild Boar were shot once with a Night Vision Equipped Ruger 10 /22 Rifle at 50 yards over bait from a top a 25' Ladder Stand I am a Professional Nuisance Wild Life Control Operator who specializes in the Eradication of Hogs & Coyotes in the state of South Carolina and have killed Hogs with a .22 LR .one shot to the head . These are some of the Hogs I personally shot with a .22 You don't need a 44 Mag to dispatch a hog in a trap Most of the Hog Caught in my Boar Buster Coral Trap are dispatch with a ruger Wrangler .22 Revolver 4" barrel with a single head shot. I have used .22 LR , 9MM , .45 ACP , .223/5.56 , .224 Valkyrie , .300 Black Out , 6.5 Grendel , on the AR Platform, .38 /.357 , .260 aka 6.5 - 08 , 30-06 , .308 , 7mm-08 ,300 win mag , I never shot a hog with a .380 but I Know it has the penetration much greater than the .22 Short and I have used that in a pistol to dispatch hog in the past. At a distance of 1 ft . Heck I shot a Hog a 30 yards in the head with a .22 caliber Benjamin Prowler pellet rifle while trying to kill a rabbis infected racoon in a residential area and a small hog walked in front of my blind so I shot it in the head and killed it . So if a .22 Caliber 14.3 grain pellet will kill a Hog at 30 yards a .380 at less than 1 ft would surely kill a hog.

All of these Hogs were killed at 50 - 75 yards with a .22 LR 40 grain CCI VELOCITOR copper plated hollow point with a single shot to the head .

This Hog Below was shot at 25-30 yards with a .22 Caliber Pellet just once in the head with a 14.3 gran pellet and he says a .380 ACP at 1 Ft will not kill a hog ? Than isn't Right !

21 - 33 of 33 Posts