Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I have recently discovered that I have a wild hog problem on my hunting land. I haven't seen any in person yet, but our game cameras have captured pictures of them. Accordingly, everyone that frequents the property has been advised to carry a weapon at all times in case they encounter a hog. Knowing that wild hogs are tough as nails, I am wondering if my LCP would kill one. Does anyone think that the LCP would do the job, or do I need to buy another bigger pistol for hog defense? (Of course, the pistol would be used only when I don't have my .30-06 or 12ga with me.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would say absolutely. Especially if you load with self-defense rounds. If you don't get a clean kill shot on the first try it will slow, stun or cripple the hog and give you enough time for a second shot. I carry elsie on my land. We have coyotes and the occasional big cat.

·
Registered
128 Posts
How close we the hog have to be ?? Or do they pop out of the brush and are pretty close right off ??

That would be my concern ... hitting the damn thing in the first place with a small pistol.

In N IL, we don't have hogs, but we have packs of dogs occasionally. The guy that hunts in my woods saw a pack of about 5 dogs chasing several deer right past his stand. He carried a 9mm for awhile. I don't know if they would attack or are just pets running around, but I carry my FN, or my GP100 when out walking in the woods.

John

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
....gc, I personally would go for a larger caliber pistol for feral pigs...like .357 minimum. Many states set that (or equivalent) as minimum for feral hunting with handguns. Many states set a minimum barrel length as well...usually 4". That is done to protect the hunter and the game. I prefer a known kill shot handgun and certainly don't want an irritated wounded pig on my hands at close quarters. Yes, you could take down a piglet with the LCP...perhaps larger with well placed shots. However, it may be more prudent to use a handgun with massive stopping power and be on the safe side of what comes out of the bushes. JMHO.

You need to check the rules for your Wildlife Management Area, as they differ in many areas of SC. Example: Game Zone 1 - it is unlawful to have in possession any firearm loaded with buckshot or larger shot or a rifle or ammunition greater than .22 rimfire except during deer and bear season (50-11-380). That's from your DNR website:

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/huntingregs.html

Tarheel

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know we all like our LCP's but they are NOT a field gun or good for hunting. Using the LCP for wild hogs might work but it also may cause needless suffering and or get you a nicely gashed up leg from said wild hog.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I believe it could kill the hog and at minimum severely wound it. If like the others have said, you put a good sd load in it and if you can actually hit that suck at full charge. Personally i would prefer a longer barreled hand gun, for improved accuracy. Sounds like a good excuse to buy another gun, if nothing else. ;D

·
Registered
935 Posts
.357M w/ BuffaloBore 19A - 180gr. Hardcast - preferably out of a 16" Barrel. Back in the 60's we used to use 12 ga. slugs. A "SD" (i.e JHP) round is the LAST thing you want to try to shoot a hog with.

·
Registered
489 Posts
MountainGator said:
.357M w/ BuffaloBore 19A - 180gr. Hardcast - preferably out of a 16" Barrel. Back in the 60's we used to use 12 ga. slugs. A "SD" (i.e JHP) round is the LAST thing you want to try to shoot a hog with.
Aye, no penetration through the thick hide and fur. I'd feel about as undergunned with my 22LR pistol compared to the 380, but would have a better chance to hit it in the head compared to the LCP. If you expect to cross paths with a hog, arm yourself with a .357, 45, 44, 12ga. ....

·
Registered
162 Posts
We hunt hogs with dogs at night all the time. We shoot them in the head with a 22lr and they die really fast. I have shot two hogs and a deer with a 40 s&w very quick kills even though "everyone" says it isn't sutable for hunting. I have shot a dead pig with a 380 ,hydroshocks, and it preformed well.

·
Registered
632 Posts
My brother-in-law shot a wild hog with a 12 gauge (buckshot) at very close range and dropped it. I have seen pictures of this hog and with 380 or 9mm it would have to be perfect shot placement to kill it. He is an LEO and pistol instructor and he said the last weapon he would take hog hunting would be a handgun.

·
Registered
632 Posts
mustang125 said:
We hunt hogs with dogs at night all the time. We shoot them in the head with a 22lr and they die really fast. I have shot two hogs and a deer with a 40 s&w very quick kills even though "everyone" says it isn't sutable for hunting. I have shot a dead pig with a 380 ,hydroshocks, and it preformed well.
The key is shot placement. I knew a guy who shot a Kodiak Bear with a 454 Casull handgun and he told me that right before he pulled the trigger he was having second thoughts about his weapon of choice. Luckily he survived-the bear didn't.

·
Registered
935 Posts
jjmc2001 said:
The key is shot placement. I knew a guy who shot a Kodiak Bear with a 454 Casull handgun and he told me that right before he pulled the trigger he was having second thoughts about his weapon of choice. Luckily he survived-the bear didn't.
Exactly! I've told this story before but, a few years back a gal in Red Lodge brought down a Grizz (that was harassing her place) with a .22 LR (rifle). S H O T P L A C E M E N T.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I wouldn't depend on a .380 caliber handgun to take care of a wild hog. It's a mouse gun...it would be great if a bull mouse charged you. ;D But a wild hog..I would recommend, at a minimum, a .357 mag. I carry my GP100 in the woods. And did you say there are big cats too. A .357 mag works for those too. Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If I was hiking around enjoying the woods and stumbled upon a hog a.380 is better then throwing rocks and cussing!

Would it be my first choice? Nope... but it would be there if needed.

If i was deliberately hunting pigs, I would choose different.

They are a invasive species here and I think there are no rules.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the good advice everyone. I would only be using my LCP on a hog if I was being charged and I was not able to get back to the truck safely. I would definitely not use it for hunting hogs. However, I don't want to take any chances, because hogs are very dangerous. Maybe it will be a good excuse to get another gun...can I tell the wife that you all recommended it? She surely can't argue about a legit safety issue, right?

·
Registered
935 Posts
gc,
Is ther any issue w/ OC on your hunting land? I assume not but...
When I'm in the backcountry (not Grizz country) I always have a .357M with me - usually a Ruger Blackhawk, and my Winchester '94 Trapper is usually not far away. But then I's in areas where Open Carry is not an issue.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Some slaughter houses use .22...................... ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
gamecock said:
Thanks for the good advice everyone. I would only be using my LCP on a hog if I was being charged and I was not able to get back to the truck safely. I would definitely not use it for hunting hogs. However, I don't want to take any chances, because hogs are very dangerous. Maybe it will be a good excuse to get another gun...can I tell the wife that you all recommended it? She surely can't argue about a legit safety issue, right?
Sounds like a real good excuse for you to buy another gun. Depending on what size they have running around your area, being prepared is probably a good idea, especially since they are on a hunting ground. I've got a real good S&W 4043 that with the right shot placement should do the job. Of course depending of the size of the boar. I've dropped a few domestic ones with a 38 or even a 22LR and it's that placement thing like the rest of the fellows keep pointing out. Think worse case scenario and go from there. Boars have small brains and heads, plus a thick skull and big teeth.

You got me thinking about this so I did a little reading. Here is a good read on Boars.
Where to Shoot a Wild Boar Hog, and How Much Gun to Use

http://hunting.about.com/od/deerbiggame/a/wheretoshoothog.htm

Good luck. I lived in North Dakota for 6 years and made a few trips out to some wilderness areas, the best all around pistol to carry there was a 44 Mag.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts