Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see on their website.
  • Slide Material Alloy Steel

How much if any rust resistance does that give?

I'm wondering if I should cerakote mine due to the fact most non stainless guns I own, if they're not cerakoted, they tend to start rusting. I think my sweat or skin oil is just corrosive more so than the average person. Some guns with good finishes like the Glock don't need to be stainless or cerakoted and I've never had rust on them. So does anyone have any experience with how rust resistant or not the .22lr LCP is?

And can anyone explain what the alloy steel is? Googling it, there's like dozens of different types of alloy steels, some are more rust resistant, some are just designed to be lighter weight, or stronger and so on.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I usually pocket carry. but. when I carry against skin I have noticed a little corrosion that wipes right off.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Isn't 'alloy steel' sometimes a euphemism for Zamak? Not saying that the slide is made of Zamak, just saying that 'alloy steel' can be a catchphrase for Zamak.

·
Registered
658 Posts
'alloy steel' is code for 'steel or something like it because I can get a magnet to stick to it'
Probably it's a blend of iron and oatmeal.
LOL

·
Registered
351 Posts
If stainless steel were to be absent of any chrome molybdenum steel, it would be extremely hard and not easy to machine. That's why a magnet will stick to most stainless steel guns, and if the magnet sticks, it will rust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isn't 'alloy steel' sometimes a euphemism for Zamak? Not saying that the slide is made of Zamak, just saying that 'alloy steel' can be a catchphrase for Zamak.
That would be great if it is. Apparently it is pretty rust resistant. Idk how much compared to say Glocks Tenifer treatment but if it's more so than blued that would be great.
I've never had rust on my glock, or any stainless guns. Only guns that just have regular steel and basic blueing.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Basic hot, or cold bluing, in and of itself, is a rusting (oxidizing) process. Care needs to be taken for rust protection with a product such as EEZOX, which is a well known rust preventative, especially for nicely blued firearms.
Glock's Tenifer coating is indeed applied to help prevent rust, but plastic and composite holsters have been known to rub the Tenifer finish off the slide. It happened with my Glock 23, so, I then had a better finish applied by Robar:

A better, leather holster, also helps immensely to prevent slide finish wear.

·
Registered
205 Posts
A little off topic (I'll shut up after this.) Zamak doesn't rust, it corrodes. And I don't think you can 'blue' Zamak per se. I think you can just paint it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little off topic (I'll shut up after this.) Zamak doesn't rust, it corrodes. And I don't think you can 'blue' Zamak per se. I think you can just paint it.
How would you find out if the LCP slide is made of Zamak? You think if I just call up Ruger they will tell me or is it some sort of trade secret?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Zamak is an alloy of mostly zinc, plus varying amounts of aluminum, magnesium, copper and some other stuff. No steel in the mix.

OP, I have an LCP and LC9s that are both speced as alloy steel slides. I have carried both a lot and had no rust issues. I do regularly (weekly) wipe them down with an oily cloth when carried.

·
Registered
205 Posts
How would you find out if the LCP slide is made of Zamak? You think if I just call up Ruger they will tell me or is it some sort of trade secret?
Put a magnet next to it. See post #4. Zamak is not ferromagnetic.

·
Registered
351 Posts
True Grit is correct concerning the chemical make-up of ZAMAK:

"Oct 6, 2019 — Composition. Zamak consists of >96% zinc, <4% aluminium, with other metals like magnesium or copper being added. The most common zamak ..."

While a nice Cera-Coat or Duracoat finish will offer protection, the anodize process will permeate into the metal a bit as well as build up on the surface. So that's just one more option to consider.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's magnetic, very strongly so I might add.
Interesting. Then, most likely, there is a goodly amount of chrome molybdenum involved with the slides composition.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Carbon steel, like chrome molybdenum, is added to stainless steel to make it more machinable. If too much chromium is involved in the chemical makeup of stainless steel, it becomes much harder to machine with normal cutting tools.
Chrome-moly was, and has been a common metal used in barrel making.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Carbon steel, like chrome molybdenum, is added to stainless steel to make it more machinable. If too much chromium is involved in the chemical makeup of stainless steel, it becomes much harder to machine with normal cutting tools.
Chrome-moly was, and has been a common metal used in barrel making.
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying the slide is made of chrome molybdenum or the barrel?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I see on their website.
  • Slide Material Alloy Steel

How much if any rust resistance does that give?

I'm wondering if I should cerakote mine due to the fact most non stainless guns I own, if they're not cerakoted, they tend to start rusting. I think my sweat or skin oil is just corrosive more so than the average person. Some guns with good finishes like the Glock don't need to be stainless or cerakoted and I've never had rust on them. So does anyone have any experience with how rust resistant or not the .22lr LCP is?

And can anyone explain what the alloy steel is? Googling it, there's like dozens of different types of alloy steels, some are more rust resistant, some are just designed to be lighter weight, or stronger and so on.
The Ruger LCP II .22LR caliber Lite Rack sports a Hardened Blue Steel Slide it will rust so you should wipe it down with Lucas Extreme Duty CLP It contains high grade additives that dissolve powder residue, old lubrication and other contaminates. It penetrates deep into rust to help clean neglected firearms and free rusted parts and actions. Extreme Duty CLP’s superior anti-wear additives reduce friction and wear while the unique waterproof, super slick film resists blow out and extends firearm life and run time.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying the slide is made of chrome molybdenum or the barrel?
Most likely both, but they will most likely have slightly different chemical composition. Like one may be machined from SAE 4330 and the other from SAE 4350 chrome moly. Both are easier to blue rather than stainless steel.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
There is not much machining on an LCP. Every part is cast. I'll post the process when I get home. Den

1 - 20 of 20 Posts