Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For many years i carried the old aluminum S&W Bodyguard with a shrouded hammer in my front pocket. Here is how i did it - I removed the grip and wrapped tape around the handle, first placing little plastic shields to protect the spring. This makes the handle part of the gun very flat and much more comfortable and concealable. You can't do that with the LCR because the handle is just a little stub.

And 2. For some reason the LCR - which was advertised as a gun that tames recoil - hurts my hand when shooting one handed worse than any other gun I've ever shot. I just compared shooting it - with its original big handle - with my S&W model 638 aluminum and stainless steel .38 with a shrouded hammer (same as my old aluminum Bodyguard). I found shooting the 638 with tape and no grip to be far more comfortable than shooting the LCR with the big original grip, and the LCR grip is MUCH bulkier in my pocket.

If anyone is interested in an almost new LCR .38 with only about 35 rounds shot - and I'll throw in the extra boot grip i bought - I'll sell it for original price i paid - and i got a 5% military discount - minus say $150. I'm in southern AZ.

I just took apart a couple of S&W's to disable the hillary-lock. That's why i was out testing them today in 108 degrees.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
For many years i carried the old aluminum S&W Bodyguard with a shrouded hammer in my front pocket. Here is how i did it - I removed the grip and wrapped tape around the handle, first placing little plastic shields to protect the spring. This makes the handle part of the gun very flat and much more comfortable and concealable. You can't do that with the LCR because the handle is just a little stub.

And 2. For some reason the LCR - which was advertised as a gun that tames recoil - hurts my hand when shooting one handed worse than any other gun I've ever shot. I just compared shooting it - with its original big handle - with my S&W model 638 aluminum and stainless steel .38 with a shrouded hammer (same as my old aluminum Bodyguard). I found shooting the 638 with tape and no grip to be far more comfortable than shooting the LCR with the big original grip, and the LCR grip is MUCH bulkier in my pocket.

If anyone is interested in an almost new LCR .38 with only about 35 rounds shot - and I'll throw in the extra boot grip i bought - I'll sell it for original price i paid - and i got a 5% military discount - minus say $150. I'm in southern AZ.

I just took apart a couple of S&W's to disable the hillary-lock. That's why i was out testing them today in 108 degrees.
W, really sorry to hear that your LCR did not work out for you. Your unfortunate loss, will be a gain for another shooter for sure. Sounds like opportunity knocking if someone has been on the fence in owning on of this fine revolvers. I wish you a lot of success and enjoyable shooting in your next CCW.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I rented the LCR once but I've been shooting the J frame for so many years I did not feel like I could make the change. Fine gun otherwise, no complaints at all.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
W, really sorry to hear that your LCR did not work out for you. Your unfortunate loss, will be a gain for another shooter for sure. Sounds like opportunity knocking if someone has been on the fence in owning on of this fine revolvers. I wish you a lot of success and enjoyable shooting in your next CCW.

Thank you, brother. No big deal. Just like switching screwdrivers. Guns are just another tool to me. The 638 has another important advantage, the ability to shoot single action. A very flat grip on the LCR would make it more attractive to me, and might even work better in my hand, but I haven't been able to find anything like that, tho i did see a picture of an lcr with what appeared to be a flattened out handle online once, but no info or markings visible. Ever hear of anything like that? If i were to find a grip like that i might keep the lcr but I wouldn't practice with it. I hate the way it feels. I see people complaining about the kick on the little lcp but that doesn't bother me a bit, but the lcr, ouch my thumbs still hurt! I used to shoot the little s&w scandium with just tape no grip, my style (i was always in plain clothes on the job), with .357 mag and that was a handful but it didn't bother me, nor did the lcp when i stupidly shot souped up buffalo bore .380's in it, .357 sigs, etc. None of them bothered me, but there's something about the lcr. I'll put up a for sale sign at the shooting range when i pass by. What do you think i should ask for it so it sells fast? I forgot what it cost me. I'll dig up the papers and find out. OK I just looked it up on Buds - $439 is their cash price for a new one. I'll put $300. It's almost new plus the spare grip. The warranty on Rugers goes over to the new owner doesn't it, or does it?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Response to my little for sale sign at the gun club was not exactly overwhelming. Like nobody ever called. I lowered the price to $300. When i put the sign up a few months ago i also asked the local gun shop that sells used guns on consignment about it. The man told me he'll give me $250 for it. He said there was very little demand for that gun. I guess the novelty of it wore off quickly. If no one calls @ 300 I'll change the sign to 250 or sell it to him if he still wants it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zero bites. I just lowered the price on my little sign at the gun club to $250. At this rate I'm going to have to pay some junk dealer to haul it away. Maybe I'll stop by the consignment gun store next week.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Zero bites. I just lowered the price on my little sign at the gun club to $250. At this rate I'm going to have to pay some junk dealer to haul it away. Maybe I'll stop by the consignment gun store next week.
What will they give you if you trade it in on something ?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Cabellas gave me $180 for my worn out LCP with 1 mag. I just took it out of my pocket, unloaded the mag and handed it to the man. They didn't have a Custom so I drove over to Impact Guns and picked one up. You might be surprised at what they will give you for your weapon. Den

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What will they give you if you trade it in on something ?

I'll ask, but I don't think they'll give me anything on a trade in, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. They don't exactly buy used guns but they take them and put them on display and then keep a percentage of what they sell it for and give me what's left if and when they sell it, so that's a hassle too, and they might not even be able to sell it either. I never see many customers in there.

I've posted other guns for sale at that gun club and sold them the very first day, some of them I regret selling too, like the S&W .22 317 kit gun with the 3 or 4 inch or whatever it was barrel (I still have the 317 with the 1 7/8" barrel).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cabellas gave me $180 for my worn out LCP with 1 mag. I just took it out of my pocket, unloaded the mag and handed it to the man. They didn't have a Custom so I drove over to Impact Guns and picked one up. You might be surprised at what they will give you for your weapon. Den

Wow I'm surprised they gave you so much! I didn't know that Cabelas buys used guns. Do all of them do that? There's one up north in the Phoenix area.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Wow I'm surprised they gave you so much! I didn't know that Cabelas buys used guns. Do all of them do that? There's one up north in the Phoenix area.
I believe they all buy used guns. I bet you could call them a get an idea of what they would give you. Den

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK I'll try but they'll probably say they need to see it. I don't know why they gave you so much for your worn out LCP, because I saw new ones going for less than 200 a while back, which is I think the best buy in guns I've ever heard of. Maybe you're a charming salesman. If it was me they'd probably offer me a $10 store coupon.

I have an idea. Mabe I can turn on my charm, such s it is, and ask my friend to trade me his little s&w .22 semi for my lcr. I forgot the model, 3217 or something. They only made it for a very limited time and the barrel is down low instead of on top like most guns, similar to the Chiappa Rhino .357 mag they are selling now, but it's a little semi auto .22lr. it shoots very very nice, and maybe the Rhino does too.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just looked at Gunsamerica. They are selling used Ruger LCR .38s from $390 to ,$470 on the front page where I looked, and mine was hardly used and comes with the spare boot grip. I must be advertising in the wrong places.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Go to a LGS and see what they offer you towards something else . Prices are down across the board .

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah, I guess I'll try, tho there's nothing I can think of that I want. No calls on the $250 sign either, so I took it down.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes, according to Dealers in my area the gun market is "soft" these days.
People are looking for steals on guns, and often get them.

Like you, I'm better off keeping my .357 and looking for a used 9mm LCR
to shoot and carry.

A 9mm version would be cheaper for me to shoot.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I never was able to sell it, and then i made a modification, and now it is my favorite pocket gun. I removed the grip and taped up the handle instead. It now fits in my pocket better than anything else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts