Ruger Pistol Forums banner

Why do you or don't you reload/handload your ammo?

• What is the point? I can just buy ammo.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I reload to save money and shoot more

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • I just don't know where to start but I want to learn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I reload because it is a great hobby

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • I just can't make the time to reload

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • It is pure joy to create better ammo for my handguns and rifles than I can buy factory loaded

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • The tools and gear are too expensive

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I reload and lost interest, now I just buy ammo

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I compete with handguns and rifles and would go broke if I didn't reload!

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I'm on the fence and just don't know what to do

Votes: 1 3.3%
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
How are the guys reloading thousands of rounds finding the powder? I had put reloading on hold during the shortage. Able to pick up a can here and there, but I do not reload in bulk.
You have to plan ahead and be creative. Keep an eye online for Powder Valley and Grafs. My local powder source knows what powders I buy and calls me when they get any. A couple friends and I did a group buy and picked up 64 lbs of CSB-1 which works great for shotshell loading and several pistol calibers. I load and shoot a lot so I tend to only buy jugs of powder. Same thing with primers and bullets. Minimum primer purchase is 5000 and bullets is 2000.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I try and hit all the local gun shows. I can usually score from them and prices have not been bad. Plus no hazmat fee.
I've had up to 40 lbs of powder or 25000 primers shipped for 1 hazmat fee of $20. The savings of buying bulk vastly out weighs the hazmat fee. But, it only makes sense if you (and possibly friends) shoot enough to use that much. Before I started shooting competition, I bought small quantities at gun shows or even WalMart.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have a problem buying primers and powder at gun shows. For example how was the powder or primers stored? How long was the cap off the powder? It just bugs me not knowing for sure.
Part of the fun in this hobby for me is the research. So far I use everything that I have bought. Maybe just a couple tools were bought that I didn't need.
Around here all the components are back on the shelves. I usually join a group buy for expensive components like 223 75gr projectiles and rifle powder. Den

·
Registered
1 Posts
I reload my 308 & 30-06 ammo because I enjoy doing it. My intentions were to vary my loads and come up with my ideal load. The fact is they all worked fine and I just like a load that's kinda in the middle between the hottest and the lowest charge.
I probably ended up at about a factory load. But they work for me.
Did I save any money probably not.
Recently I got the dies for my 223/5.56 and my 44 mag but yet to load any yet.
There's a lot of winter left I'll get around to it after deer season!!!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I have a problem buying primers and powder at gun shows. For example how was the powder or primers stored? How long was the cap off the powder? It just bugs me not knowing for sure.
Part of the fun in this hobby for me is the research. So far I use everything that I have bought. Maybe just a couple tools were bought that I didn't need.
Around here all the components are back on the shelves. I usually join a group buy for expensive components like 223 75gr projectiles and rifle powder. Den
Never had a problem with the vendors I have chosen to supply powder or primers. All have reloaded well and shot just like any new. I do not know a lot about vendors across the country, but Virginia Gun shows run a clean, well organized events with reputable dealers. I have a hard time believing that one would tamper with powder and have old primers in today's world and had to pay the fees to get into the Virginia Beach Convention center to sell dangerous old crap just to make a buck. They could just go to a sloppy beer tavern or flea market and do that kind of business.

·
Registered
98 Posts
At 73 I have reloaded since 1969, still use a RCBS Rock Chucker (the newer version) I have loaded all my rifle calibers - 7mm mag, 308, 30/06, 6mm, 225, now just have and load 30/06 (my hunter), 6mm (wife's hunter), 5.56 (my fun shooter), and just started loading for my LC9s Pro. Still go slow but accuracy is more important for me than speed, what else is an old shooter that is retired to do? Reload, shoot, reload and shoot some more!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
At 73 I have reloaded since 1969, still use a RCBS Rock Chucker (the newer version) I have loaded all my rifle calibers - 7mm mag, 308, 30/06, 6mm, 225, now just have and load 30/06 (my hunter), 6mm (wife's hunter), 5.56 (my fun shooter), and just started loading for my LC9s Pro. Still go slow but accuracy is more important for me than speed, what else is an old shooter that is retired to do? Reload, shoot, reload and shoot some more!
I hear you Santareg. Slow and easy to make it fun. Like tying fishing fly's I would guess. One round at a time. At my age of 63, if it is not fun, why do it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
+1

As I said, it is a hobby all in its own.

Reactions: santareg

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
How are the guys reloading thousands of rounds finding the powder? I had put reloading on hold during the shortage. Able to pick up a can here and there, but I do not reload in bulk.
We don't need much powder. 1 $20 one pound container will be enough for over 1500 pistol rounds. Maybe 2000 .380 rounds. Den

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I was going to edit my pole but can't. I was going to change one line to say "I would reload but there are no more components on the planet!"
My stock is pretty good but I know several shooters that can't compete much anymore. Den

·
Registered
3 Posts
I gave up the cigs and cigars years ago. Now just Vape. Actually like it more. Really nice tobaccos and cigar flavors out there. More energy now, blood pressure dropped significantly and can enjoy a good cigar like flavor while reloading. Not trying to preach, but just a thought.
Hopefully, I'll pick up the last few things I need and start making some 9mm & .40 S&W rounds soon.

I guess I need to stockpile bullets and powder next.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts