Ruger Pistol Forums banner

what do you think of this

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Black Rifle Reviews 
#1 · (Edited)
#13 ·
#14 ·
Some people fail to see the forensic study was of 154 attackers 144.76 were stopped by the .22 LR with a handgun pistol or revolver 9.24 were not stopped . still good odds for the .22 LR handgun .Of the 154 attackers shot in the Head Neck or Torso with just one shot 34% of 154 thats 52.36 attackers were fatal with one shot from a .22 handgun. 60% of the 154 attackers stopped with one shot was 92.4 with one shot from a .22 LR from a Handgun .The percentage in this case puts the .22lr handgun a contender in the self defense arena .Read the study its about Handguns not Rifles Some people will look at this data and say “He’s telling us all to carry .22s”. That’s not true. Although this study showed that the percentages of people stopped with one shot are similar between almost all handgun cartridges, there’s more to the story.

In Greg's conclusion of his study he says "The results I got from the study lead me to believe that there really isn’t that much difference between most defensive handgun rounds and calibers. None is a death ray, but most work adequately…even the lowly .22s. I’ve stopped worrying about trying to find the “ultimate” bullet. There isn’t one. And I’ve stopped feeling the need to strap on my .45 every time I leave the house out of fear that my 9mm doesn’t have enough “stopping power.” Folks, carry what you want. Caliber really isn’t all that important. Take a look at the data. I hope it helps you decide what weapon to carry. No matter which gun you choose, pick one that is reliable and train with it until you can get fast accurate hits. Nothing beyond that really matters! " I agree with Greg's study.

#16 ·
My concern is not recoil. I like the idea of a small concealable, comfortable firearm to carry. When I strap the LCP on, after a few minutes, I forget its there.
I use to deer hunt with a Ruger Red Hawk 44 magnum. I reloaded my own loads with hot charges and heavy LBT hard cast bullets. I hunted in bear country.

#15 ·
Boo
Some may be asking why anyone would ever want to use this caliber as a self-defense round. There are plenty of other rounds out there that are affordable, capable, and accessible for self-defense. The main reason someone would choose it is for the low recoil. While rare, many people lack the strength to effectively handle even a .380 ACP. Concealed carriers owe it to themselves to be as well-armed as physically possible and while most are able to carry a caliber more substantial than .22 LR, some simply can’t. Ammunition in this caliber is super cheap, so you can get in a lot of training for very little money - which is good because you'll need to be well-skilled if you're using it for self-defense. While you should practice proper shot placement with every caliber, with .22 LR, you already behind the power curve.
In addition, firearms chambered in this caliber have hardly any recoil. Even when fired from the smallest guns on the market, the .22 LR is seriously easy to control. Since this caliber is easy to handle, it also makes getting quick, accurate follow-up shots easier, too. Having a gun that's easy to shoot effectively can be a huge deal, especially for a new shooter. The most significant disadvantage of .22LR for self-defense is the rimfire system. Rimfire rounds tend to be less reliable than centerfire rounds. A round failing to ignite can be a significant issue. The second issue that most .22 LR fails to expand when they strike a soft target and can have penetration issues. You’ll need premium grade ammo for defensive purposes for your .22 LR. I strongly recommend the CCI Velocitor copper plated hollow point it's the fastest most accurate 40 grain hollow point on the market , It's velocity is 1435 fps it Hits hard penetrates deep and leaves a significant wound channel. I think 4 shots into the torso and 1 shot to the head or neck in close quarters would render an attacker totally incapacitated if it don't put more shots into the Head , Neck , Torso .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.