Ruger Pistol Forums banner

Weapon Shield - Cleaner - Lubricant - Preservative

22K views 65 replies 38 participants last post by  Tarheel 
#1 ·
#32 ·
gcwimmer said:
I use MILITEC-1 oil on all metal parts and with first treatment heat treat with a hair dryer and use MILITEC-1 grease on slide.
+1...

Militec is possibly the best metal treatment on the market. Unlike typical oils or CLP, this is an actual metal treatment. The molecules infuse with the metal and provide lubrication through those infused molecules as opposed to a liquid sitting on top of the metal. It should be noted that Militec needs to be wiped off so that there is no liquid left, just a light sheen. In cold weather if you leave any liquid, it will pretty much turn into a goo which will lock your weapon up in a heart beat. I've personally seen this happen with a machine gun during a firefight in sub-freezing temps. So removing the liquid is VERY important.

Anyhow... onto CLP... I firmly believe that it's highly over-rated. It's falling out of favor with the military simply because there are far, far better products available. It's amazing how fast Militec has replaced CLP as the lubricant for weapons in the military. Problem is, with most things that attempt to do everything... they do nothing great, but everything marginal (if even that). CLP doesn't do that good of a job cleaning, especially carbon build-up. As a result, you could have the weapon spotless when you're done cleaning it, put a light coating of CLP on it (to protect/lube it) and come back in a month, you'll have a black coating. That is the CLP still pulling the carbon out of the pores in the metal. Sounds good right? It's still cleaning!!! Uh... no... use a good powder solvent and there won't be any carbon left on the surface or in the pores. The issue is, the firearm wasn't truly clean in the first place. Just one of the many examples of why CLP really is inferior. Use separate products for cleaning and lubricating/protecting.

Check out shooter's choice... they make some good cleaning products; powder, lead and copper solvents, liquids, sprays... you name it.

#35 ·
Well Gang, I don't use grease anymore. I used to. Now it's oil only for my LCP. I was using white lithium on the parts recommended and found that it slowed down slide movement when chambering a round. With oil only, slide movement has noticeably increased in speed.
Crazylegs

G
#38 ·
I don't mean to hijack the thread but why isn't a good gun oil sufficient lubrication? My LCP instruction manual says, under Care and Cleaning, "Note: Only a light application of oil is needed to provide adequate lubrication of moving part and to prevent rust."

I have pistols, revolvers and rifles and have never used anything but good quality powder solvent and gun oil for cleaning and maintenance. Am I missing something?

#39 ·
cosgun said:
I don't mean to hijack the thread but why isn't a good gun oil sufficient lubrication? My LCP instruction manual says, under Care and Cleaning, "Note: Only a light application of oil is needed to provide adequate lubrication of moving part and to prevent rust."

I have pistols, revolvers and rifles and have never used anything but good quality powder solvent and gun oil for cleaning and maintenance. Am I missing something?
We find the spec 308 G-lube (oil) and the G-lube gold grease made for Glock slides works great on the LCP also, seems to stay where it is put. It states on the bottles, The lubricant that bonds with the metalat a molecular level for superior lubrication.

#40 ·
HowardCohodas said:
Anyone have any experience for CLP products in general or Weapon Shield in particular?

http://www.weaponshield.com/
Howard,
I've used CLP for many years in many of my guns.
Always have good performance from them.
I never heard of the Weapon Shield before. I just sent them an Email for a brochure.

#42 ·
Id have to disagree with a few of the above posts. I have used NOTHING but weaponshield for two years on my Ruger SR9.

Never had a problem, gun looks brand new. Used this from day one and due to the qualities of this lubricant the gun is EASY to clean after firing.
Stuff just doesnt stick when oiled/cleaned with this stuff.

This stuff is GREAT!

It was started by George Fennell the inventor of FP-10 and former Tech Director of MPC. Its been tested to be better than break free.

Heck to prove how good it is he was giving it away in 1oz bottles a year or so ago.

Some good testimonies from Military Personal in Iraq

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/47155-weaponshield-iraq-afganistan.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=george+fennell+and+weaponshield&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

#44 ·
I'm brand new here. I actually just finally ordered an LCP after lurking here for quite a while for info.
I was glad to see a topic of something here I'm familiar with. I've used nothing but Weapon Shield for over two years now (except for Sweets that I use for heavy copper fouling). It's great stuff. Everything runs smoother, triggers are lighter and smoother and is much easier to clean. It supposedly bonds to the metal and it must because each time I would take one out shooting and then clean, the cleaning went easier each time through about 4 cycles. Protects the blued finishes better than wiping with a silicon cloth. Non-toxic, no strong smell. I can even clean my guns in the kitchen now without the exhaust fan on and my wife doesn't even complain.
No, I really don't sell the stuff. I just like it so well I tell every gun owner I meet about it. I want to see them do well so I can always get it.

#45 ·
For years I've used Mobile one (bought a quart and am now on last 2 oz....) Amsoil post reminded me of this...

Use miltec as well now...

Kraigster, I assume you mean to polish the (feed ramp) + chamber entrance and chamber...or the lead in edges to the chamber...

As I understand it, the throat is the forward end of the chamber where the slug enters the rifled part of the barrel erosion here is often a cause for reduced accuracy...I think that polishing here would cause the same thing.....

Thoughts....?

#47 ·
gcwimmer said:
I use MILITEC-1 oil on all metal parts and with first treatment heat treat with a hair dryer and use MILITEC-1 grease on slide.
Same here! I also use Gibbs lubricant to clean the gun, then Militec-1.

#48 ·
This my sound like an odd question. But, I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the needle applicator on the free sample that weaponshield sends you. I like the product but each time I use it the next time I can get nothing to come out the applicator. It is like it becomes stopped up. Even brought another pin oiler just get the needle applicator to use. It the same thing to me today.

#49 ·
This my sound like an odd question. But, I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the needle applicator on the free sample that weaponshield sends you. I like the product but each time I use it the next time I can get nothing to come out the applicator. It is like it becomes stopped up. Even brought another pin oiler just get the needle applicator to use. It the same thing to me today.

RougeLCP - No problem with my oiler, works great. I am testing it on all my firearms and so far I love the product and the oiler! ;D

#51 ·
Weapon Shield is good stuff, as is FP-10, which the guy who developed WS developed first. WS goes a little farther than FP-10 though, as the latter is more a lube, whereas WS is a lube and protectant.

I've begun using Gunzilla CLP in the last year or so. Great stuff that dries and leaves a lubricating film. The film stays around, and when you wet it with CLP at the next cleaning, the crud comes right off with it. I use it on everything from my LCP to my AR-15.

-- Sam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.