Ruger Pistol Forums banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts

Test is from 2004. Compared to EEZOX, Weaponshield is probably close, but not as good for rust prevention and should be a better lubricant.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I didn't want to hijack this thread but I have gone to SLP 2000 EWL as a lubricant. It is the product that turned my Walther PPS from a horrible, gritty trigger into one that is smooth as glass. I tried the grease ad found that even the grease does NOT attract dirt & gunk. It has a working pressure of something like 4000 PSI or greater. Almost all other products have a pressure rating of less than 800 PSI. My SIgs & Ar15s run far better with this product than any other. I got a sample at a gun show in Phoenix 12 years ago and haven't found anything better. I have a box full of so called "super gun lube" products that I now use as 3 in 1 oil for household lubricant tasks.

My gun oil products now are comprised by a can of Kroil (use as bore cleaner on my $5K sniper rifle). It also removes rust. I have a Sig P220 with a carbon steel folded slide that rusted 18 years ago when it got got soaked on a 2 week hunting trip & never pulled out of the holster for that time. Break Free CLP failed & the entire slide had a fine red rust cast to it. Sprayed on the Kroil & let it set 2 hours. Rust wiped right off with NO DAMAGE to the slides surface. It is a super penetrating oil that will lift anything from a metal surface. They call Kroil "the oil that creeps". That stuff IS magic!

Speaking of my German made Sig P220, I have over 30K rounds thru that pistol. There is NO frame wear on the gun what so ever, thanks to SLP products. Most aluminum alloy frames will show wear on the frame rails as the anodising begins to wear thru. Not this pistol. Check out Sig Forum site & look at the excessive wear on the newer pistols. I think these guys do not use grease or a poor lubricant like Rem-oil.

My findings ~ you mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
thanks for the info. I'm well on my way to having a box full of lubes, grease, that I don't like either.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
....M_E_, +2 on the Kroil. I don't know of a decent Brit car enthusiast/mechanic who doesn't have a can of Kroil in his bag of tricks to remove rust and grunge from parts. British metal is notorious for rusting and all of us who have been involved in a restoration swear by the stuff. I don't have a rusted gun, but will certainly use the product if I acquire one...thx for the reminder.

Tarheel

·
Registered
160 Posts
Tarheel, That TR avatar is really beautiful! I help a friend of mine out cranking on Triumphs. He SCCA road raced a TR6 for years! Then another friend turbo-ed a TR6 !! Looks like it was a factory job! But now we are building a Datsun F Production 1600 sports car! What a job that is.

Kroil is indispensable when working on old cars, even in Arizona.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
....thx, M_E_.

Then you know the fun things we encounter when working on the TR6 ;D. British engineering simply leaves one scratching the ole noggin at times. I've driven the Six with the Eaton M62 supercharger and it's a hoot. Not for me however, as the $4000 upgrade is steep and the real benefits questionable. The HP is increased by about 40%, but that only takes it up to the rating for the stock European TR5 with fuel injection (their version of the carbureted TR6). I am negotiating with a guy on a FI setup out of a wrecked TR5 located in Canada...we shall see.

Sorry to have run off thread topic. Thx for the pics, Fastlane. That is an interesting perspective. I currently use Break Free ELP4 and Slide-Glide from Midwest and am quite happy with the results on all my pistols. That Eezox is tempting, however.

Tarheel

61 - 66 of 66 Posts