Ruger Pistol Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well all of you old time gunners will most likely laugh your butt's off at a humble beginner like me, but I use AMSOIL on my Guns and have for several years. It is slick and keeps my guns running smooth. The Gun Butter on the rails is also what I use. Yes AMSOIL is an automotive product, but it is synthetic and does not break down with heat and is very moisture resistant. Once cleaned, reoiling with Synthetic will protect against wear. It works for me.........

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been using Weapon Shield for a while now and have to say I really, really like it. I have used plenty of others, and still have other products in my safe but the Weapon Shield get used every time now days!

I have been using on 4-5 firearms exclusively and have had no issues and so far love it to death. I need to order more actually, I have been needing to for a while now but the stuff keeps lasting me. It really is time to get more now though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i just contacted them today about a sample, they said there will be a sample on the way. I can't wait to try this stuff. If it's as good as everybody is saying it is, i'll be making an order for it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
picketeer said:
If I didn't already have every thing known to man (almost) as far as gun cleaning goes, I would try some of the water based degreaser.........It really sounds great!

I recommend it! :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
velvalco said:
i just contacted them today about a sample, they said there will be a sample on the way. I can't wait to try this stuff. If it's as good as everybody is saying it is, i'll be making an order for it.
Go ahead and make your order! ;D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Got my free sample with the needle applicator in the mail today! Thanks to Gary!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Gary is sending out a sample for me too. So far, great service.

·
Registered
101 Posts
small syringe of oil just arrived at my doorstep, got here extremely fast, looking forward to trying it out ;)

Nietz

·
Registered
28 Posts
cohoskip said:
I asked for a sample when they were being offered and they sent a needle oiler like the one Howard pictured. It will last me quite a while... ;D
Same with me. I've been using Weapon Shield on my SR9 with good results. Still no sign of LCP at LGS.

·
Registered
487 Posts
gcwimmer said:
I use MILITEC-1 oil on all metal parts and with first treatment heat treat with a hair dryer and use MILITEC-1 grease on slide.
+1...

Militec is possibly the best metal treatment on the market. Unlike typical oils or CLP, this is an actual metal treatment. The molecules infuse with the metal and provide lubrication through those infused molecules as opposed to a liquid sitting on top of the metal. It should be noted that Militec needs to be wiped off so that there is no liquid left, just a light sheen. In cold weather if you leave any liquid, it will pretty much turn into a goo which will lock your weapon up in a heart beat. I've personally seen this happen with a machine gun during a firefight in sub-freezing temps. So removing the liquid is VERY important.

Anyhow... onto CLP... I firmly believe that it's highly over-rated. It's falling out of favor with the military simply because there are far, far better products available. It's amazing how fast Militec has replaced CLP as the lubricant for weapons in the military. Problem is, with most things that attempt to do everything... they do nothing great, but everything marginal (if even that). CLP doesn't do that good of a job cleaning, especially carbon build-up. As a result, you could have the weapon spotless when you're done cleaning it, put a light coating of CLP on it (to protect/lube it) and come back in a month, you'll have a black coating. That is the CLP still pulling the carbon out of the pores in the metal. Sounds good right? It's still cleaning!!! Uh... no... use a good powder solvent and there won't be any carbon left on the surface or in the pores. The issue is, the firearm wasn't truly clean in the first place. Just one of the many examples of why CLP really is inferior. Use separate products for cleaning and lubricating/protecting.

Check out shooter's choice... they make some good cleaning products; powder, lead and copper solvents, liquids, sprays... you name it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
picketeer said:
Got my free sample with the needle applicator in the mail today! Thanks to Gary!

I received the weapon shield with the needle applicator today (11-8-2008) thanks to Gary, and also to you folks for bringing this up on the forum :). Have a nice day everyone.

·
Registered
53 Posts
CLP for cleaning, Shooter's Choice red grease for lubrication.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well Gang, I don't use grease anymore. I used to. Now it's oil only for my LCP. I was using white lithium on the parts recommended and found that it slowed down slide movement when chambering a round. With oil only, slide movement has noticeably increased in speed.
Crazylegs

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
You have got to use the right grease and in the right amount. Slide Glide Lite is all I use on my LCP. It stays put, low visosity and is intended strictly for carrry weapons. I buy directly from Brain Enos' site.

·
Registered
36 Posts
kraigster414 said:
You have got to use the right grease and in the right amount. Slide Glide Lite is all I use on my LCP. It stays put, low visosity and is intended strictly for carrry weapons. I buy directly from Brain Enos' site.
Thanks for the tip Kraig, I'll check it out.
Crazylegs

G

·
I don't mean to hijack the thread but why isn't a good gun oil sufficient lubrication? My LCP instruction manual says, under Care and Cleaning, "Note: Only a light application of oil is needed to provide adequate lubrication of moving part and to prevent rust."

I have pistols, revolvers and rifles and have never used anything but good quality powder solvent and gun oil for cleaning and maintenance. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
86 Posts
cosgun said:
I don't mean to hijack the thread but why isn't a good gun oil sufficient lubrication? My LCP instruction manual says, under Care and Cleaning, "Note: Only a light application of oil is needed to provide adequate lubrication of moving part and to prevent rust."

I have pistols, revolvers and rifles and have never used anything but good quality powder solvent and gun oil for cleaning and maintenance. Am I missing something?
We find the spec 308 G-lube (oil) and the G-lube gold grease made for Glock slides works great on the LCP also, seems to stay where it is put. It states on the bottles, The lubricant that bonds with the metalat a molecular level for superior lubrication.

·
Registered
119 Posts
HowardCohodas said:
Anyone have any experience for CLP products in general or Weapon Shield in particular?

http://www.weaponshield.com/
Howard,
I've used CLP for many years in many of my guns.
Always have good performance from them.
I never heard of the Weapon Shield before. I just sent them an Email for a brochure.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts