Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about ordering the Voltquartsen Accurizing Kit for my MK IV to make it shoot as well as my MK II.

I know the kit will not make the gun more accurate but the trigger on the IV is not as smooth as the II. I have around 1500 rounds fired through the IV and 10,000 plus on the II. I'm sure the IV will smooth up with more rounds but I want to speed up the process.

I've watched the videos but I have questions for those who have installed the kits.

How hard is the kit to install? I am relatively handy but never took a gun apart.

How big is the improvement? Noticeable? Worth $140?

Anybody have a gunsmith work over a MK to smooth trigger action? Who did the work? Cost? Results?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check E-Bay. Every once in a while you will find the kit from under $100. It's well worth it.

My trigger pull, from the factory, was over 6 pounds and felt like I was drawing through the safety on each shot. After installing the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit my trigger pull got down to a totally reliable 1.7 pounds tested on my Lyman Digital Scale.

My first attempt took me 90 minute to complete. After that I had to send it back to Ruger for their recall. I had to take out the VQ kit or Ruger would change the parts, not give me back the VQ kit and charge me for the new parts

I sent the old OEM parts back with the frame in a plastic bag. They did not charge for reassembling it. I then had to reinstall the VQ kit and it only took me 1/2 hour. Trick is to use a vise or forceps during the install. I now have forceps.

It's well worth the investment even if you pay full price for the kit. Once you've done it a few times you can do it in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Check E-Bay. Every once in a while you will find the kit from under $100. It's well worth it.

My trigger pull, from the factory, was over 6 pounds and felt like I was drawing through the safety on each shot. After installing the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit my trigger pull got down to a totally reliable 1.7 pounds tested on my Lyman Digital Scale.

My first attempt took me 90 minute to complete. After that I had to send it back to Ruger for their recall. I had to take out the VQ kit or Ruger would change the parts, not give me back the VQ kit and charge me for the new parts

I sent the old OEM parts back with the frame in a plastic bag. They did not charge for reassembling it. I then had to reinstall the VQ kit and it only took me 1/2 hour. Trick is to use a vise or forceps during the install. I now have forceps.

It's well worth the investment even if you pay full price for the kit. Once you've done it a few times you can do it in 10 minutes.
Thanks for your report

I'm starting to lean towards having a Gunsmith polish and tune the MK IV. It would be ideal to have a local Gunsmith polish and tune the MK IV but I have not been able to locate a Gunsmith that specializes in the MKs near me.

One of the other guys on the forum sent his MK IV to SGW Gunsmith, who is on this forum a lot, for a tuning, polishing service for $77. I'm going to wait for him to get his gun back and provide a write up of the tuning service before I decide on which way to proceed. I'm also a little hesitant shipping a $400 gun to someone outside my state.

Did the V kit make the trigger pull smoother, in addition to less resistance and shorter trigger stroke?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thanks for your report

I'm starting to lean towards having a Gunsmith polish and tune the MK IV. It would be ideal to have a local Gunsmith polish and tune the MK IV but I have not been able to locate a Gunsmith that specializes in the MKs near me.

One of the other guys on the forum sent his MK IV to SGW Gunsmith, who is on this forum a lot, for a tuning, polishing service for $77. I'm going to wait for him to get his gun back and provide a write up of the tuning service before I decide on which way to proceed. I'm also a little hesitant shipping a $400 gun to someone outside my state.

Did the V kit make the trigger pull smoother, in addition to less resistance and shorter trigger stroke?
I have indeed received a Ruger Mark IV to receive some attention, but the pistol received is NEW from the factory and has,not as yet, been fired. It's hard for me to understand how anyone can draw a conclusion between a new "never fired pistol" and then a pistol that has been worked over.
Smoothing any Ruger Mark pistol will ONLY do just that, smooth up the internal parts from sharp edges and burrs, it will not improve the trigger pull weight or make it into a Ruger Mark II. That's impossible,as the internals involved with each pistol are much different from one another, so they need to be treated accordingly 🤥 .
By the way, I have never read any evidence that installing, ANY kit, where that installation has made the pistol any more accurate. The kits, in most all cases, do make "performance" quite a bit better, but not anymore accurate. If there is any proof of accuracy improvement, please post some before and after targets.
Shipping a firearm through Priority Mail, UPS or Fed Ex, one can always insure that package for several times the worth of what's inside, so I guess I don't understand the reluctance to ship anywhere in the USA.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have indeed received a Ruger Mark IV to receive some attention, but the pistol received is NEW from the factory and has,not as yet, been fired. It's hard for me to understand how anyone can draw a conclusion between a new "never fired pistol" and then a pistol that has been worked over.
Smoothing any Ruger Mark pistol will ONLY do just that, smooth up the internal parts from sharp edges and burrs, it will not improve the trigger pull weight or make it into a Ruger Mark II. That's impossible,as the internals involved with each pistol are much different from one another, so they need to be treated accordingly 🤥 .
By the way, I have never read any evidence that installing, ANY kit, where that installation has made the pistol any more accurate. The kits, in most all cases, do make "performance" quite a bit better, but not anymore accurate. If there is any proof of accuracy improvement, please post some before and after targets.
Shipping a firearm through Priority Mail, UPS or Fed Ex, one can always insure that package for several times the worth of what's inside, so I guess I don't understand the reluctance to ship anywhere in the USA.

I'm am not reluctant about USPS, UPS, FEDEX. I'm reluctant to ship my gun to an online business that I know nothing about and being in another state, I would have no recourse if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Yah, don't do it then, you'll never be able to sleep at night wondering who you can trust, or can't. You can always do things yourself.
I, for one, would never take in any work from someone who feels the way you do.

·
Registered
826 Posts

When I spoke with the Ruger Customer Service Manager, on several occasions, we discussed the above statement ( in red ). I was told by him, that it's nothing more than a nasty rumor and NOT true. What Ruger does do, according to Joe, when aftermarket parts are indeed found inside a returned firearm, it is to bag those parts up, charge the customer for replacement "factory parts", and then return the bagged parts along with the firearm. That's a completely FAIR was to operate. Keeping someone else's parts is nothing short of thievery.
It's a real shame that this rumor concerning Ruger keeping aftermarket parts, is not only being dishonest, but some keep on pushing it along as being true. Consider. Why would Ruger want those parts? Think about what Ruger's liability would be if they re-installed another companies parts, and then that part failed and someone was injured or killed.
No, Ruger is a very reputable and hones company that doesn't deserve postings like that above.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yah, don't do it then, you'll never be able to sleep at night wondering who you can trust, or can't. You can always do things yourself.

After your negative comment about syjos, a current customer of yours, in post #4 - "I have indeed received a Ruger Mark IV to receive some attention, but the pistol received is NEW from the factory and has,not as yet, been fired. It's hard for me to understand how anyone can draw a conclusion between a new "never fired pistol" and then a pistol that has been worked over." - and your above post, I will not be sending my pistol to you.

There are many instances of unhappy situations dealing with online vendors.

·
Registered
826 Posts
That's great! I get the feeling that no matter what was to be done to improve your Mark IV, you would never be satisfied anyway. Try getting things done yourself, as that's a magnificent way to learn your pistol. Best of luck in your endeavors.

BTW, nothing negative was mentioned toward my customer, who you referred to, his pistol grip frame arrived so clean that it looked like it was never fired. We communicated and I was told he did indeed have 200 rounds through his pistol, :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm thinking about ordering the Voltquartsen Accurizing Kit for my MK IV to make it shoot as well as my MK II.

I know the kit will not make the gun more accurate but the trigger on the IV is not as smooth as the II. I have around 1500 rounds fired through the IV and 10,000 plus on the II. I'm sure the IV will smooth up with more rounds but I want to speed up the process.

I've watched the videos but I have questions for those who have installed the kits.

How hard is the kit to install? I am relatively handy but never took a gun apart.

How big is the improvement? Noticeable? Worth $140?

Anybody have a gunsmith work over a MK to smooth trigger action? Who did the work? Cost? Results?
Calling the Volquartsen kit an accurizing kit is kinda a misnomer. The kit does not affect the inherent accuracy of the gun. The kit does give you a lighter weight trigger pull typically around 2 lbs. Most people shoot better with a lighter trigger pull. Learning to shoot with a gun that has a heavy trigger pull takes a lot more practice and self discipline to be an accurate shooter.

If you are not afraid to tackle the job you should be able to do it with help from several videos on youtube and maybe take a couple pictures with your cell phone to help. Is it a big improvement over the stock trigger pull? Yes it is. Going from a 5 or 6 lb trigger pull to around 2 lbs is a major improvement.

Is it worth $140 probably not in my opinion but it is what it is. Depends on how bad you want a better trigger in your gun. If you look around on Amazon or some of the other sites you probably can find the kit for around $100.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Calling the Volquartsen kit an accurizing kit is kinda a misnomer. The kit does not affect the inherent accuracy of the gun. The kit does give you a lighter weight trigger pull typically around 2 lbs. Most people shoot better with a lighter trigger pull. Learning to shoot with a gun that has a heavy trigger pull takes a lot more practice and self discipline to be an accurate shooter.

If you are not afraid to tackle the job you should be able to do it with help from several videos on youtube and maybe take a couple pictures with your cell phone to help. Is it a big improvement over the stock trigger pull? Yes it is. Going from a 5 or 6 lb trigger pull to around 2 lbs is a major improvement.

Is it worth $140 probably not in my opinion but it is what it is. Depends on how bad you want a better trigger in your gun. If you look around on Amazon or some of the other sites you probably can find the kit for around $100.
I agree. Most of the kits that are available contain some parts not really needed. I've asked several folks if they would target their Mark IV pistols before the kit installation and then after it's in place, just to see how accuracy has improved. So far, no takers.
So, what exactly does the kit do? It certainly does improve the trigger pull by reducing the pull rate from around 7 pounds down to around 4 pounds. I have never seen one get down to less than 3½ pounds after the kit installation has been done. That takes some other efforts conducted in a safe manner.
The other thing is, the kit will remove the magazine disconnect feature, which many folks don't care for in the first place.

·
Registered
826 Posts
There are many instances of unhappy situations dealing with online vendors.
If you're having that many bad experiences. that's really too bad, and even more evidence that you should learn to do the work yourself. It can be quite rewarding to know that you can do it. Just get yourself some of the tools you'll need, and practice, practice and then, practice some more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree. Most of the kits that are available contain some parts not really needed. I've asked several folks if they would target their Mark IV pistols before the kit installation and then after it's in place, just to see how accuracy has improved. So far, no takers.
So, what exactly does the kit do? It certainly does improve the trigger pull by reducing the pull rate from around 7 pounds down to around 4 pounds. I have never seen one get down to less than 3½ pounds after the kit installation has been done. That takes some other efforts conducted in a safe manner.
The other thing is, the kit will remove the magazine disconnect feature, which many folks don't care for in the first place.
After I had my MK IV for a while I drank the Vilquartsen Kool Aid and bought one and installed it in mine. The trigger
pull with the kit was better than a stock trigger but not as nice as I wanted. One thing I noticed was the trigger reset was pretty pathetic with the Voquartsen trigger return spring.

I ended up polishing the sear and hammer and everything else that moved, using a lighter sear spring and putting a stronger trigger return spring in. Ended up with a trigger pull weight of 2 lbs on a Wheeler digital gage and a trigger reset that you could feel. I like a flat trigger so I put a Tandemkross trigger in it too. Happy with my set up now.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I know of what you mention. The Volquartsen disconnector, which some call a "trigger bar" , is the heaviest of all and more than those Ruger ever sold, and then, all of the aftermarket disconnectors that others have sold except for one. The disconnector that Volquartsen sold at one time was made from titanium and is the lightest of all produced:

When we consider that the disconnector is lifted from only the front end, all the weight going backward, needs to be overcome by the trigger plunger spring. VC provides a much lighter spring than the factory plunger spring so the factory spring is a better choice unless you use an S.G.W. LLC "custom" spring that's even more stronger and lifts the VC disconnector much easier, without adding to the trigger pull weight with any concern:

Seems like you got that all figured out though. 👍

·
Registered
17 Posts
It can be quite rewarding to know that you can do it.
Most people shoot better with a lighter trigger pull
Agree with both statements. I have installed 2 VQ kits in Mark lls and assisted a friend with a Mark lll. The first time is a good sense of accomplishment, and the friend was happy to have an experienced guide. However, the VQ directions are great and easy to follow.
I now think nothing of pulling a disconnector out, which I had to do after one developed a burr. In that case, I've been known to leave the punch in place to hold the other pieces together after pushing the pin out, to make reassembly easier.
My Mark lls run around 2.5-3 #.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Agree with both statements. I have installed 2 VQ kits in Mark lls and assisted a friend with a Mark lll. The first time is a good sense of accomplishment, and the friend was happy to have an experienced guide. However, the VQ directions are great and easy to follow.
I now think nothing of pulling a disconnector out, which I had to do after one developed a burr. In that case, I've been known to leave the punch in place to hold the other pieces together after pushing the pin out, to make reassembly easier.
My Mark lls run around 2.5-3 #.
I like my range toys to have around a 3lb or less trigger pull wouldn't go that light on my EDC though. I have a G19 with a 3.5 lb trigger and a Canik TP9SFx with a 2 lb trigger. The Canik has the best striker fired trigger that I have shot. It is one of my favorite range toys.

·
Registered
826 Posts
My experience with all of the iterations involving the Ruger Mark pistol genre over time has been developed over 50+ years of working on, and smoothing these pistols to ALL customers expectations. Funny thing, every one of those customers got their parts back in a proper and satisfactory manner. In many cases it has been beyond what they expected, and they've sent me later versions to get the same operation from their new purchases.
90% of all the internal work I do here, to improve Ruger Mark pistols has never been mentioned by others who work on these pistols, because they don't understand the pistols complete capabilities.
I've seen and received many Ruger internal parts that owners who have tried doing some of their own internal work, with varying results:

I guess they feel they can do just as good of a job themselves rather then to send parts off to someone who has the correct equipment to do the job safely and correctly. This fixture is designed to smooth Ruger Mark pistol sears and hammers, properly and safely, but fixtures as such don't come in the mail for only a postage stamp:

·
Registered
826 Posts

Hmmm. In another post on this very same forum, you wrote that you FIRST got your trigger down to 3.4 pounds and THEN, to get it even lower, you THEN installed the Volquartsen kit to get the pull weigh down to 1.5 pounds.
Which is it? You're providing an impression that it's a simple and safe task to get the trigger pull weight down to that poundage. Please explain HOW you did that.

·
Registered
826 Posts

The statement highlighted above, and underlined is NOT true, and is a terrible disservice as to how Ruger handles non Ruger parts found installed in Ruger Mark pistols when returned for any reason.
I spoke on the phone with Ruger's Customer Service Manager in Prescott, AZ about this "false" accusation some time ago. It's NOT true, Ruger does not keep aftermarket parts when found. It is true that they will replace those aftermarket parts with Ruger OEM parts, but that's a perfectly understandable position on their part. Ruger can not assume the liability for someone else's parts in one of their firearms, who in their right mind would think that's proper? I was told that Ruger sends whatever aftermarket parts found, back to the owner along with the firearm, sent in for repair. That's what the Customer Service Manager told me on the phone. It's a dang SHAME that some, like the poster in #2 entry, would actually pass that "myth" along as if it were true. Tells me quite a bit about that person's character.
When I read crap like what was in Post #2, I make it a habit to print that post out and store it, only because of, in the event that the post happens to disappear, I will have a hard copy saved with the date and name of the original poster for proof.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Steven,

What about your accusations involving Ruger keeping non-factory parts when found in a returned Ruger Mark pistol as posted in the #2 post above?
That is absolutely NOT true, yet you fail to retract that false statement. Don't you feel you need to apologize to Ruger for making that blatantly false statement in an open forum such as this? To leave it go without correcting your falsehood, is just not the right thing to do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts