Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not many folks realise, or even know about, Ruger's attempt at testing a couple of Ruger Mark III prototype pistols chambered in the Mach 2 .17 caliber rimfire cartridge:

Now, if you viewers have a sharp eye, you'll be able to discern that the cartridges in the above photo are actually .17 HMR rounds. Those were used only because the Mach 2 rounds from Hornady were not ready yet for the publishing deadline, so the bigger brother rounds were thrown out on the table instead.
The .17 Mach 2 uses a CCI Stinger case necked to .17 caliber with a tiny bullet that screams along at a pretty quick pace. The Ruger Mark III pistol with its 8-inch fluted barrel, was especially assembled just for the trials intended. Testing quickly proved that there was just too much "recoil impulse energy" involved with the FPS in the test cartridges and the bolt was severely blown backward and into the bolt stop pin at the top of the mainspring housing assembly. The project was scrapped due to what was found in the testing procedure and the damage inflicted on the bolt stop pin.
Once I found out about these trials, I did fire a letter off to the "CEO would like to know" method that's on the Ruger.com site and suggested that the test pistol would be a GREAT addition to the Mark III line, if it were done in .22 rimfire caliber. I did get a note back that they would consider that, but I think maybe my suggestion found its way into the "circular file" right next to his desk, or maybe his "spam bucket".

Reactions: ammodotcom

·
Premium Member
My favorite firearm will always be my Ruger Standard with sights painted white by my grandfather
33 Posts
Very interesting little article – but I'm sure the good people at Ruger framed your letter and hung it in the lobby, and didn't so callously toss it into the filing can like you say!

Reactions: Black Rifle Reviews
1 - 2 of 2 Posts