Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope everyone can help. Im by no means a marksman. That being said I have several firearms of various types and brands. I can hit the target.
Recently added a lcp 380 to the mix.
If you can believe this. From SIX feet away I can’t seem to land a round on a 2ft x 4ft piece of cardboard!!

At this distance how is that even possible. All things considered I should at least be in center mass.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If it's just the LCP and not the LCP ll, then it is a double action only and it is very
hard to control. the LCP ll is a striker fired gun an has a really nice trigger. You
can learn to control the LCP, but it takes a lot of practice.
leadhead

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
The LCPII is not a striker fire weapon, It is a hammer fire weapon with a light hair trigger and no safety . Just like a 1911 cocked and unlocked. Good luck drawing the LCPII safely from your pocket under stress. Den

·
Registered
189 Posts
The LCPII is not a striker fire weapon, It is a hammer fire weapon with a light hair trigger and no safety . Just like a 1911 cocked and unlocked. Good luck drawing the LCPII safely from your pocket under stress. Den
^ This is correct. The LCPII is a hammer fired pistol but it has an internal covered hammer. That is why some LCPII owners paint the rear of the hammer red so as to see whether it is in a cocked or non-cocked state. It does not have a safety. I summer carry my LCPII Condition 1 but with a Garrison Grip Trigger Stop such as this https://www.amazon.com/Garrison-Grip-Micro-Trigger-Holster/dp/B085HZNT79 so as to render it safe for Condition 1 carry. Some folks are not comfortable with this put it works for me and I've never had an issue with it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
There are LCP's, LCP2's, and LCPII's. I believe all are hammer fired guns. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Den.... You are correct..I was thinking of the LC9s. I had a LCP but gave it to my daughter.
I bought the LCP ll and found it to be a much better gun.
leadhead

·
Registered
47 Posts
...From SIX feet away I can’t seem to land a round on a 2ft x 4ft piece of cardboard!! At this distance how is that even possible...
I'm going to assume it's a LCP Gen 2 (not LCPII) as that is what I have. That said, the recoil out of the box is a bit harsh, and I found myself subconsciously dipping the barrel before each shot. I started at 12 feet, but like you could not land a shot on target. I invested in a grip sleeve, a 13lb recoil spring, and a trigger spring kit, and now the combination of reduced perceived recoil, and a 4lb trigger has really fixed my issues (I can make 4" groups at 12 feet). I would start with an inexpensive rubber grip sleeve and put several magazines through it to get use to the recoil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to assume it's a LCP Gen 2 (not LCPII) as that is what I have. That said, the recoil out of the box is a bit harsh, and I found myself subconsciously dipping the barrel before each shot. I started at 12 feet, but like you could not land a shot on target. I invested in a grip sleeve, a 13lb recoil spring, and a trigger spring kit, and now the combination of reduced perceived recoil, and a 4lb trigger has really fixed my issues (I can make 4" groups at 12 feet). I would start with an inexpensive rubber grip sleeve and put several magazines through it to get use to the recoil.
sounds like it’s time for a different firearm lol

·
Registered
944 Posts
It all cmes down to Grip and hand control

Have you seen the attached img001.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
sounds like it’s time for a different firearm lol
The sleeve was $8, The Spring $10, and the Trigger Kit (arguably not needed) was $19.99. I personally don't think $18 to $38 dollars is much of an investment to get the most out of your firearm. I spent more than that on a good pocket holster. Regardless, even without the accessories, I was able to get a few shots on target at 12 feet, so I never thought it was a problem with the pistol. Best of luck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's a very small gun, with a fairly heavy long trigger pull, followed by some pretty stiff recoil when she goes "bang".
So, it is not the easiest gun in the world to shoot. It is definitely not a gun for beginners.
If after some practice you can't hit a 2x4 target then yes, you should probably find something else. How much practice you should give it before you call it, is up to you.
Let us know, someone may want to buy it if you decide to sell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hope everyone can help. Im by no means a marksman. That being said I have several firearms of various types and brands. I can hit the target.
Recently added a lcp 380 to the mix.
If you can believe this. From SIX feet away I can’t seem to land a round on a 2ft x 4ft piece of cardboard!!

At this distance how is that even possible. All things considered I should at least be in center mass.
Recently I went through what I think you are going through. I got a S&W 442 which is a 5 shot revolver with the hammer internal. It is Double Action which means you have to pull the trigger hard to get the hammer back and the shot off. It was my first Double Action gun and I did not like it. Hitting the target was hard. I had bought it for pocket carry, but I could see this would be a good situation if I ever had to draw it. I took a loss on the sale of it but am quite happy with the Taurus G3C I got which is good for pocket carry. Hope this solves your problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's not rocket science. I have the early LCP as well and had trouble at 1st. I just kept moving closer till I was hitting the target. 6 ft seems extreme to be missing, but it sounds like you're knowledgeable and still not hitting. OK, move closer until you DO hit it. 3 ft ?? Fine, so what ?? It's a starting point. Then start backing up and see where the pattern walks to. Mine shoots low and to the right, about 6" at 7 yds. No practical way to change it, so I keep in mind to shoot high and left.

The comments about recoil, etc., can all be valid, but maybe not, too, depending on your grip, flinch tendencies, experience, knowledge level, etc. Flinch is prob'ly the biggest thing. The little bugger really does kick hard, for only a .380. Worse than my 9mm. (It's basically a featherweight 9mm short, after all) Hold it steady, concentrate on form and go for it. I've got big hands and the tiny LCP was awkward for me to make the 1st shot, then I had fits trying to get it back on target for a follow up. The awful trigger was (and still is) a PIA, but you learn to live with it.

Now, when the stars line up, I hold my tongue just right and don't bite too hard on it, I can shoot 6" groups at 7 yds with it.....and I'm not really a marksman. Someone in my room in the middle of the night would get a nasty surprise, tho'. I "would" hit him.

I'm very handy and have a nice shop, so got a piece of steel out and cut me a new, slightly re-shaped transfer bar for the LCP to try and get rid of some of the insane travel. Don't do it. When done, mine had a much better trigger pull and felt much better overall, but when I started to put it down into my pocket, I felt something move. I stopped instantly and started feeling around. Hah....! ! !....the trigger had caught on a tab of fabric and was being pulled. Nearly shot myself down the leg. I put the original transfer bar back in and it's still there....and will be. No more fussing with it.

The biggest changes that helped me were the Hogue rubber grip and the magazine extension that lets me get 3 fingers (crowded) on the grip. They aren't noticeable and It's much more stable in my hand. At the range, the long trigger pull blends in and becomes a non-issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
however no one is answering the question lol.
I noticed this also purplepatriot, and my own two cents is that someone touched on it earlier, but that comment was in the middle of the various single and double action discussions.
My two cents is that you are not accustomed to the rather long and heavy double action pull. Same thing happened to me with my double action pistols, and I have been shooting regularly since before I got my first deer back in 1960.
Like someone else said, you can probably cure this problem with practice. I was able to improve my double action shooting that way, but it never got to the level of my single action accuracy.
One thing I do regularly, that might help, is dry fire practice with what ever CC pistol I am using at the time. I keep the pistol near my tv chair and practice while watching documentaries.
Some good discussions of the value of dry fire and be found on Chris Sajnog' youtube channel and in his books. Chris is a retired Navy Seal Sniper, and he found value in dry fire training even though the Seal's have an unlimited budget. And if you have the time and interest, he has many more good ideas (I follow him on both youtube and facebook)
Good luck

·
Registered
370 Posts

That's why I happily stick with the original LCP's. I have 2 of them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It's not rocket science. I have the early LCP as well and had trouble at 1st. I just kept moving closer till I was hitting the target. 6 ft seems extreme to be missing, but it sounds like you're knowledgeable and still not hitting. OK, move closer until you DO hit it. 3 ft ??...

One foot? One inch? How about the broad side of a barn?

Ha ha sorry if I'm being rude, but if you know how to aim and shoot a gun and u come on a forum asking why you can't hit a 2x4 foot target from 6 feet I suspect you're kidding us. Can u post a video please? Or even still pictures. Where r yr bullets going? Left side, right side, in the ground, in the sky? R they coming out of the front of the gun? Did u remember to put bullets in the gun?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts