Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been contemplating a Ruger Standard 4 or 6" as a side arm for the woods (hunting), plinking or general field use. However, Ruger has not yet introduced a Standard Stainless Steel MkIV model. So, been eying used MkII's on GunBroker and other auction type sites. Wasn't sure if I should just go for a "used-unknown" 20-30 year old SS pistol, or get a new "Blued" MkIV? I owned a MkII SS Competition Slab-Sided for 3 years and found the disassembly\assembly easy, so my understanding and prior experience with the MkII operation posed no issues. I currently own a MkIV Hunter and 22\45 Lite...Certainly no issues there!! Well as it turned out, my wish for a "New" SS Standard came true!! :confused:

To my surprise and delight, the GB USED 1986 MkII 6" SS Standard I was awarded apparently was never fired! The exterior had a small scratch above the "MkII", but that's it. When I took the MkII down for it's initial cleaning, there was ZERO RF residue. Every moving part, all of the action components, every nook and cranny of the interior walls (upper and lower) were coated with a thick, somewhat dried Cosmoline Preservative (used by mnf. in the 1980's gun industry). Any possible wear signs were non-existent. The hammer face\sear engagement, the chamber ramp, the bolt\upper contact areas, the bore rifling and the magazine were All Perfect...Perfectly NEW! :eek:

I called the very kind gentleman who had this on auction. He explained this was part of an estate consignment sale and that the MkII had no paperwork or box, but the elderly owner was a gun collector, and he (the seller) was handling several of the firearm sales for the family. Due to the great condition and operation, he recognized this was a low use pistol and considered keeping it for himself but then, he already had more than he could shoot. He cleaned\polished up the exterior for me, but never disassembled to investigate the true condition of the action and components. I graciously thanked him for, "letting it go"! :D

Before cleaning the interior, the break was a clean and consistent 3.75# pull...not bad. After cleaning (using One-Shot aresoil), the break is still clean and crisp, but now at a consistent 2.75# pull weight...great for a side arm walk around plinker!! The PT is just 1\8", but the OT is close to 1\2". I have a VQ adjustable trigger coming to reduce the OT (keeping the OEM trigger intacted)! So far, ain't nothing wrong with a good old used MkII!! :thumbsup:

Will report back "how-it-shoots" in a range report later on!!

Oh, and the good news keeps coming, but this message is long enough...now for the mandatory Pics: :cool:

Ted

Attachments

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Nice find....your field stripping looks like a complete parts diagram and as clean as one, also.

Reactions: Theo98

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Now that's nice! Looking forward to a range report!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Ruger Mark 1 (9)NSN.jpg

Great buy and excellent choice. A few years back I managed to find a well preserved Mark II and added it to my small Mark Collection consisting of a Mark I and III. The Mark II was the better shooter of this trio. I later bought a new Mark IV. Love it.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, and the good news keeps coming...now for the mandatory Pics: :cool:

Ted

Between winning the MkII Standard bid and it arriving at my FFL, my oldest son, who took possession of my past MkII Slab-Sided Competition Target over 20 years ago, presented me with the original upper and Volthane grips to add to my newest MkII lower acquisition!! :D

Fifteen years ago, he replaced the Ruger upper with a Tac-Sol Tac-Lite threaded receiver. He never found a good holster to fit my installed VQ Volthane grips and just reinstalled the original Ruger thumb-rest wooden grips. He held onto the slab-sided upper and VQ grips, figuring one day I might want\need them!!

So, I now have that 1992 Comp. Target upper and hardly used Volthane grips. Pics display both upper and grips on my New 1986 MkII lower...Really Sweet!!! :cool: :D

Ted

Attachments

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Looks purty!!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Nice Ruger! I blew up the photo that shows the scratch and I bet you could buff it out. I do most of my gunsmithing but... for your scratch A pro should be sought out that can duplicate the original finish. You don't want to end up with a shinny spot. You have a beautiful pistol there! Denny

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great buy and excellent choice. A few years back I managed to find a well preserved Mark II and added it to my small Mark Collection consisting of a Mark I and III. The Mark II was the better shooter of this trio. I later bought a new Mark IV. Love it.
Thank you Bgoff689...the MkII's may just be the best in the Ruger Mark Series line up!

Recently obtained a couple of new MkIV's (Post 1 & 8) and yes, I also really love the new design! :thumbsup:

Ted

·
Super Moderator
4,588 Posts
GREAT fine.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Since we're talking Ruger Mark series thought I'd drag out my old plain Jane Mark l. Bought it back in '74. Taught 4 grandkids how to shoot with it so it has a lot of memories. She'll be my grandsons one day.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Since we're talking Ruger Mark series thought I'd drag out my old plain Jane Mark l. Bought it back in '74. Taught 4 grandkids how to shoot with it so it has a lot of memories. She'll be my grandsons one day.
Very Nice...Love the grips' contrast! Plain Jane Looks to be in Great Condition...what a wonderful "PaPa" heirloom and piece of history for the grandson!! :thumbsup:

Ted

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Before cleaning the interior, the break was a clean and consistent 3.75# pull...not bad. After cleaning (using One-Shot aresoil), the break is still clean and crisp, but now at a consistent 2.75# pull weight...great for a side arm walk around plinker!! The PT is just 1\8", but the OT is close to 1\2". I have a VQ adjustable trigger coming to reduce the OT (keeping the OEM trigger intacted)! So far, ain't nothing wrong with a good old used MkII!!
Just dropped in my MkII 6" Standard a VQ trigger...work's great! Trigger pull still at 2.75#, but now have just 3\32" of PT, a clean break and a 1\32" of OT (overall 1\8" pull). DC consistently resets in 3\32" and safety is working perfectly!

I find the VQ shoe curve a little less than the Ruger and more comfortable on the trigger finger. Looks great, works great and for plinking and as a hunting side arm, the pull is perfect for what I want...Accurization Complete!! :tears_of_joy:

Ted

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Obtained 4 more Ruger MkII 90046 mags and with the VQ Volthane grips and the VQ trigger, put 200 rounds through this new\old MkII on the weekend. Shot CCI 40gr RNCP Mini-mags...had Zero issues and with these non-adjustable iron sights at 25yds, was placing 10 shot groups in a 1" pattern...hand held!! :eek:

Additionally, in honor of Drew Brees's NFL record, this Fleur-De-Lis Altamont design was too much to "pass" up. They fit perfectly, the thumb swell feels great and obtained them for half of their original purchased value...Sweet! :excitement:

Ted

Attachments

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Man, I really love those grips!!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
A really good look'n set up.....and accurate to boot!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Mukwah and ETS,

I love the Altamont Fleur-De-Lis grips, but will probably keep the VQ Volthane grips on, as they give me greater control and accuracy (features thumb, fingers & heal palm rest all-in-one)! But for show and good looks, hard to beat the Altamont Rosewoods!! :tears_of_joy:

Ted

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Thanks Mukwah and ETS,

I love the Altamont Fleur-De-Lis grips, but will probably keep the VQ Volthane grips on, as they give me greater control and accuracy (features thumb, fingers & heal palm rest all-in-one)! But for show and good looks, hard to beat the Altamont Rosewoods!! :tears_of_joy:

Ted
Altamont makes beautiful grips for sure. I've shared pics of my SR1911 on here before but it has the Altamont fleur de lis grips also. They are special for us from Louisiana.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts