Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is some potent .380 ammo. Put two mags through Elsie to make sure it cycles properly. No problems to report but lord those things feel like I'm shooting my 442 with +p ammo. I'm glad it wasn't pleasant to shoot because it forced me to only fire off two mags of that expensive ammo. I have complete confidence in them and definitely feel those on the receiving end of those rounds will be in a world of hurt. That goes for any of the modern .380 SD ammo but check these out if you can. Definitely notice the extra oomph with the underwood. Rapid shooting at 7 yards and I kept them all in the Coke bottle. Good Stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
DO NOT shoot that stuff through the LCP. It is quite probably well over standard pressure and is probably unsafe to shoot in the LCP. The LCP is a very tiny pistol and examples have been known to literally come apart in a shooter's hand because of shooting higher than standard pressure .380 ammo through them. This is no joke.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
DO NOT shoot that stuff through the LCP. It is quite probably well over standard pressure and is probably unsafe to shoot in the LCP. The LCP is a very tiny pistol and examples have been known to literally come apart in a shooter's hand because of shooting higher than standard pressure .380 ammo through them. This is no joke.
What about the Ruger ARX ammo? 58gr @1300fps? The Underwood +P Defender is 65gr @1400fps. Sounds pretty close to me. I wonder what powder and how much they pack in there to make those lightweight projectiles travel so fast? Just wondering. Denny

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just FYI, Lehigh's newest "spiral" bullet offering for 380, Xtreme Defense, is 65 grains and 1,150 fps. I asked them and they assured me this is within SAAMI specs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I am going to take everyone's advice and hold off for a bit. I want to contact underwood to see what they have to say. Why make a product that's limited to shoot in a small select number of guns that can handle the pressure.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I asked Underwood and they told me the Xtreme Penetrator that is not labeled plus p is within SAAMI specifications. I decided not to take the chance. I also don't want to make the LCP any harder to shoot accurately.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
The OP said he was shooting Underwood Extreme Penetrator. They claim the 90gr @1100fps and the +P 90gr @1200fps.
Our little LCP's have a cast barrel so I believe we should be cautious of the ammo we feed it.
I dug up some Sammi data from some ammo they tested and the velocity that would hit the max 21,500psi per their recommendation. http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/specifications/Velocity_Pressure_CfPR.pdf
65gr-1050fps
80gr-980fps
85gr-990fps
88-90gr-980fps
95gr-945to990fps
100-910fps
According to this data, some of the ammo we shoot is over pressure.
So who do we believe. The claims of new ammo makers who say their ammo is within Sammi specs? Ruger that is endorsing the ARX ammo that clearly exceeds the Sammi data?
Or should we even care what Sammi says? Their .380acp specs. are low to protect a weapon made in 1902, not a modern firearm.
I wish Sammi would get up to speed and ammo makers would publish their ammo test results (that's if they even have it tested).

Also as strange as this might sound, we can't always go by felt recoil to determine if a particular ammo is hot or not. I depends on what powder they use. I found this out reloading for competition. My power pistol loads kicked like a mule compared to my WSF powder loads. Both at the same velocity. My WSF loads feel like a 22. I load my 380 practice loads to recoil like my carry loads and the velocity is much slower using Power Pistol. Funny how that works. Den

·
Registered
20 Posts
65gr-1050fps
80gr-980fps
85gr-990fps
88-90gr-980fps
95gr-945to990fps
100-910fps
According to this data, some of the ammo we shoot is over pressure.
The LCP's short barrel ensures that self-defense rounds rarely meet SAAMI's velocity specifications. Wouldn't running hotter rounds bring the LCP closer to .380 specs?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
The LCP's short barrel ensures that self-defense rounds rarely meet SAAMI's velocity specifications. Wouldn't running hotter rounds bring the LCP closer to .380 specs?
The only way to know for sure is to test with a Chronograph. The short LCP barrel doesn't ensure anything for me. I looked in my log book and my .380 data is incomplete. I will try to fix that. You may find some LCP velocity data on google and you can compare it with the velocity published on the ammo box. Just be careful. A chrono costs about $100 and once I had one I wondered how I lived without it. I don't have any Hot .380 ammo to test through my LCP and post my results. Den

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Velocity is not the critical factor when considering limits for safety (of the shooter and the firearm). Chamber pressure is the critical limit for tiny pistols with very thin barrels like the LCP. Using "hotter rounds" to achieve higher velocities also creates higher (and potentially very dangerous) chamber pressures.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My LCP II works fine with The
Underwood Xtreme penetrator.380+P I shot two boxes to familiarize myself with them, I only load them for self-defense, not plinking, my LCP II .380 shows no signs of damage and works flawlessly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've gone to the Xtreme defender in 68gr. Shoots fine and I'm really impressed with the performance. It's my new carry load. There's a few YouTube videos on it in 380 short barrel pistols. Hope this helps

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
In my LCP Custom, I practice with S&B hardball. For SD, I load and carry the Underwood XP @ 1100 fps.
I talked with Underwood and Ruger on the phone about this load. They both told me it would be ok to shoot in the LCP.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts