Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I will try to polish the internals again. The pull is marginally better, but no where near the 2 1/2 to 3 pound pull I am looking for. I do not have a gauge but would like to come closer to my Browning buckmark pull.
I think this will also require removing material from the hammer to reduce the ledge that the sear sets in. I hope this will reduce the length of the pull. And a better job of polishing that area will reduce the weight.
Any thoughts from members more experienced than me? Next step will be to just be satisfied or order from volquartsen. The iv is more reliable than the Camper but I am more accurate by far with the camper over the iv. I want to make it a real “shooter”.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Welcome to the forum 101st! I found that having a trigger pull gauge enhances the hobby gunsmithing experience greatly. When I was a kid my first gauge was made from Dad's fish scale. I believe my digital gauge cost me about $30. It will store hi and low and average I think 8 pulls. Den

Reactions: SGW Gunsmith

·
Registered
19 Posts
Invest in a Lyman Digital Scale. If you do a lot of trigger work it's well worth the price.

I tried doing my own trigger job on my Mark IV 22/45 Lite and got it down form a horrible 6 + pounds to 3.4. It still wasn't what I wanted so I bought the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit and my trigger went down to 1.5 pounds. Since I shoot competition with it it was well worth the money.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Looks like I will try to polish the internals again. The pull is marginally better, but no where near the 2 1/2 to 3 pound pull I am looking for. I do not have a gauge but would like to come closer to my Browning buckmark pull.
I think this will also require removing material from the hammer to reduce the ledge that the sear sets in. I hope this will reduce the length of the pull. And a better job of polishing that area will reduce the weight.
Any thoughts from members more experienced than me? Next step will be to just be satisfied or order from volquartsen. The iv is more reliable than the Camper but I am more accurate by far with the camper over the iv. I want to make it a real “shooter”.
You will indeed need to use a "trigger pull gauge" to see just what your trigger pull weight is now, and then during your progress as you go along.
Working on the hammer notch for the sear, without the proper set-up, things can go terribly wrong in a heart-beat. Reducing the length of that notch will reduce "creep", or, the amount of contact between the sear face and the hammer notch, but consider, the length of engagement from the factory runs from 0.018 to around 0.022 thousandths of an inch, which is not easy to measure without powerful magnification:

How are you currently maintaining flatness and perpendicularity of the sear face to the hammer notch? I've reworked a ton of Ruger Mark sears and hammers over the years, and I don't see how that can be done safely and properly without this fixture keeping things in alignment:

Some claim they can do it, but I've also had many sent in to be redone.
Good luck with your endeavors. hope it all goes well.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Welcome to the forum 101st! I found that having a trigger pull gauge enhances the hobby gunsmithing experience greatly. When I was a kid my first gauge was made from Dad's fish scale. I believe my digital gauge cost me about $30. It will store hi and low and average I think 8 pulls. Den
My Lyman digital gauge is the best one I've owned so far, over the years. It uses an internal "load cell" that works like a strain gauge to record trigger pull weight. Much better and more accurate than the Ohaus and other spring operated pull gauges I still have around here somewhere.
It's nice to be able to get the average of 10 readings with just the push of a button. Mine is as handy as I can get it on my bench to check and record firearm trigger pull weight, which is sorta handy for me as I don't have a calibrated trigger finger.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you are looking for the real shooter you mentioned, I'd spend for the accurizing kit. The better engagement surfaces plus the ability to set pre and over travel on the trigger should give you what you are looking for. I have zero experience with Mk IV though so all above is in reference to Volquartsen Mk II and Mk III kits/parts I've installed over the last 20 years. By the time Mk IV came out, I was too deep into full Scorpion pistols to bother switching back to Ruger.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just joined.

Recently purchased a MK IV 22/45, shot several hundred rounds through it and found the pistol accurate with an average trigger.

I was getting ready to purchase an "Accurazing Kit" to smooth the trigger but spending $130 to $150 for the kit and discarding perfectly good parts after purchasing the pistol is a bit much. The only items in the kit that seem worthwhile to me is the sear and adjustable trigger. Discarding the magazine disconnect was a bonus but something easily done without the kit.

Smoothing, polishing and tuning existing parts is the way guns were refined and improved in the past before "drop in kits" were marketed. I was going to polish internals myself until I saw SGW's threads and posts regarding the kits and found the Tuning and Smoothing Service for $77.50 on the SGW Gunsmith website. The price seemed reasonable and having an actual gunsmith tuning it would be a huge improvement over my amateur attempt. Dennis' responses to my questions were honest and competent. He actually advised waiting until he had examined the pistol before adding any of my requested parts to it. I sent the MK IV to SGW yesterday for tuning.

I don't know what the trigger pull weight of my MK IV was when I sent it to Dennis but the action was not smooth. I'm not as concerned about the pull weight - a smooth, short, predictable trigger pull is more desirable. And if the trigger pull weight is reduced by the tuning - a bonus!

The last pistol I had tuned by a gunsmith resulted in a trigger that was very smmoth. It was a 1911 that have inherent smooth, light triggers but the improvement was noticeable. I think a custom pistol tune will outperform a generic drop in kit on my MK IV.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just joined.

I was going to polish internals myself until I saw SGW's threads and posts regarding the kits and found the Tuning and Smoothing Service for $77.50 on the SGW Gunsmith website. The price seemed reasonable and having an actual gunsmith tuning it would be a huge improvement over my amateur attempt. Dennis' responses to my questions were honest and competent. He actually advised waiting until he had examined the pistol before adding any of my requested parts to it. I sent the MK IV to SGW yesterday for tuning.

How much of an improvement to the trigger after the tuning and smoothing of your MK IV?

I have a MK IV that needs a smoother trigger. Compared to my MK II, the IV has a rough trigger action. I was thinking about ordering the accurizing kit from Voltquartsen and joined this forum to ask for opinions about the kits and how hard it is to put in.

Is the $77 total cost or did you end up paying for additional parts? Did you send the whole gun or just the frame? Did you have to use a FFL to send the gun to the gunsmith? How long did it take to get the gun back? Are you happy with the result?

Sorry about all the questions. Thanks for your reply in advance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How much of an improvement to the trigger after the tuning and smoothing of your MK IV?

I have a MK IV that needs a smoother trigger. Compared to my MK II, the IV has a rough trigger action. I was thinking about ordering the accurizing kit from Voltquartsen and joined this forum to ask for opinions about the kits and how hard it is to put in.

Is the $77 total cost or did you end up paying for additional parts? Did you send the whole gun or just the frame? Did you have to use a FFL to send the gun to the gunsmith? How long did it take to get the gun back? Are you happy with the result?

I haven't gotten the MK IV back yet. I sent it to SGW Gunsmith last week and he received it last Saturday. I'm waiting to hear from him as to his recommendations.

He told me about a 4 day turnaround time when I was email conversing with him but he is probably a one man operation and got busy.

I sent him the lower frame, bolt and two magazines. He polishes the magazines and does whatever magic to the bolt and frame. Apparently there are firing pin stop issues that I wanted addressed by SGW.

MK IVs have the serial number on the barrel. Everything else, according to the local Poastmaster, is OK for me to ship without a FFL. I made sure it was OK by having the Poastmaster look at my pistol in the shipping box before I actually sent it. She said that as long as a serial number was not on it, it was OK to ship myself.

I think it will cost more than $77.50 since I want SGW to put in a target sear and a couple other items not included in the polishing service.

I'll report on the improvement as soon as the pistol is returned to me. I might start a new thread so I don't hijack this one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have you heard back from SGW about your MK IV? I tried messaging him here on RPF but he has

e emailed early this week that he had mine On the bench.

Hoping to hear from him soon as to his recommendations for my pistol.
Have you heard back from SGW about your MK IV? I tried messaging him here on RPF but he has not replied.
Dennis emailed that he had two MK IVs ahead of mine that he finished and he had mine on the bench.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Dennis emailed that he had two MK IVs ahead of mine that he finished and he had mine on the bench.

Communication, between the customer and myself, on this sort of thing is BETTER done off this site. That's the only way I do things, whether some like it, or not.

·
Registered
21 Posts

SYJOS

Did you get your MK IV back from SGW Gunsmith? Its been over a month.

How is the trigger after he tuned it?

I will not send my gun to him but curious how a gunsmith tuned trigger compares to a Volquartsen kit.

·
Registered
826 Posts
^^^^^GEEEZ! Go back and read Post #11, will yah? I can just imagine how wonderful it would be to deal with YOU. 😝
I think I'd rather kiss a moose.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Invest in a Lyman Digital Scale. If you do a lot of trigger work it's well worth the price.

I tried doing my own trigger job on my Mark IV 22/45 Lite and got it down form a horrible 6 + pounds to 3.4. It still wasn't what I wanted so I bought the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit and my trigger went down to 1.5 pounds. Since I shoot competition with it it was well worth the money.
I find the above post very interesting. Almost the same post was done on RFC using a different screen name, but the very same Avatar, and the end result of trigger pull was posted as 1.7 pounds. A Lyman electronic pull gage was used on both?
Please explain how you got your trigger pull weight down to 3.4 pounds to begin with, and then, how in the world did a "kit" bring the pull weight down even further.
I'm gonna refer any and all my customers who want their trigger pull weight to go under 2 pounds to YOU, only because you must have some secret method by which you can get that accomplished.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts