Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else get their trigger finger pinched when releasing the trigger? I can only shoot a few mags before I need to give my finger a break. It's getting caught between the tip of the trigger and the trigger guard...and it hurts!

Anyone else? I guess I just need to try a little more to just use the tip of my finger on the trigger, but with a gun this small it is kinda hard to.

·
Registered
75 Posts
FarmerRick said:
Anyone else? I guess I just need to try a little more to just use the tip of my finger on the trigger, but with a gun this small it is kinda hard to.
Position of the finger on the trigger to exert smooth rearward pressure without torquing the gun, is important for accurate shot placement. Using the Tip of the finger is not typically a good solution. With the gun fully unloaded, check out the trigger closely for any mold seams or sharp points. If present smooth it with a little sanding, until it is comfortable. Take it slow - easy to remove, but can't put it back. The LCP design finger guard has been an improvement for me over the keltec P3AT in this regard, and I have not had that problem. it was not uncommon to remove (sand off) the pointed tip on the P3AT trigger to reduce pinching. Also look for any mold seams inside the finger guard. This can also be a problem that can be easily eliminated with a little sanding to remove a mold seam that is giving you problems.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I haven't noticed it, but everybody in my family that has shot the LCP or the p3AT has said ouch that thing hurts my finger. I'll have to look at mine to see if there is any place for improvement.

·
Registered
226 Posts
kensteele said:
hurts my finger as well, making shooting very unpleasant and not enjoyable. i switched ammo and now it is much better.
I'm curious how switching ammo makes the trigger finger feel better.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I brought this up once before but the number of folks on this forum has grow I thought I'd add it again. I wasn't having an issue with pinching so much as the width of the trigger was bothering me after a long shooting session. I had previously added a Kel-Tec trigger shoe to a Keltec sub 2000 rifle, it also stated it would fit the Kel-Tec pistols, I removed it from the sub 2000 and it fit the LCP just fine. It was very close at the bottom of the trigger guard so I did actually end up sanding some off to get a little more clearance.
As a side note: No it doesn't get caught on my holster when I insert it and no I haven't had any accidental discharges since installing it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
MNBud said:
. I had previously added a Kel-Tec trigger shoe to a Keltec sub 2000 rifle, it also stated it would fit the Kel-Tec pistols, I removed it from the sub 2000 and it fit the LCP just fine. It was very close at the bottom of the trigger guard so I did actually end up sanding some off to get a little more clearance.
As a side note: No it doesn't get caught on my holster when I insert it and No I haven't had any accidental discharges since installing it.
As a keltec owner I tried a trigger shoe on a P11 a few years back that I still own, but ended up removing it. I did not end up liking the feel and fit (too oversized), and removed it. I seem to recall also there were problems with the trigger shoe retention (screw), and many work loose or fall off. I would recommend close examination of the trigger and the trigger guard for any mold lines or sharp points that could be smoothed with a little sanding. Possibly some reshaping of the trigger face or inside the front of the trigger guard where contact takes place in cycling shots.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My trigger finger is about a 1/4 inch wider than the index finger on the other hand. When I got Elsie I noticed getting pinched both on the trigger guard and the top where the trigger enters the frame in front. My normal position on my finger is 3/4 of the way to the knuckle. With Elsie I have switched to 1/3 of the way to my Knuckle. Works fine, now I need to decide if that should be default with all my guns.
PS Oh ya, CT laser helped the bottom pinch

·
Registered
191 Posts
MNBud said:
kensteele said:
hurts my finger as well, making shooting very unpleasant and not enjoyable. i switched ammo and now it is much better.
my mistake. i'm experiencing a slightly different problem where my finger is getting banged up from heavy recoil and after a day at the shoot range, the top side and knuckle is left bruised from what i consider harsh recoil....i switched to ammo with much less recoil and it's much better now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
kensteele said:
MNBud said:
kensteele said:
my mistake. i'm experiencing a slightly different problem where my finger is getting banged up from heavy recoil and after a day at the shoot range, the top side and knuckle is left bruised from what i consider harsh recoil....i switched to ammo with much less recoil and it's much better now.
I got you now, I ran into that problem with a titanium 357 that my brother in law owns. It was, I believe the Smith 340 or something like that,kicked like a mule. He is also a reloader so I believe he set me up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
kensteele said:
MNBud said:
kensteele said:
Have not ever experienced that problem and I don't know that it is and issue if you keep the trigger pulled against the handle until you release it just enough to reset. Makes a heck of a big difference in follow up shot accuracy.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i'll try that. in the past, i have been shooting powrball and golden sabers and buffalo bore and it's been a nightmare, i can't even shoot my pps and g23 because my fingers are all banged up. i'll try something different going fwd but the hornady cd ammo has done well with reduced recoil and being less harsh....it means the lcp is a keeper for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This gun is a killer on my trigger finger too, I haven't really figured out why but I find if I use the first joint of my trigger finger instead of the finger pad it's fine, I'm sure I'll get some saying that's a "no no" but as the LCP is a defensive weapon and not a target gun I find it the way to go for me, still can keep all the shots on a piece of typing paper at 30yds, that's more than acceptable with this remedy

·
Registered
935 Posts
kensteele said:
i'll try that. in the past, i have been shooting powrball and golden sabers and buffalo bore and it's been a nightmare, i can't even shoot my pps and g23 because my fingers are all banged up. i'll try something different going fwd but the hornady cd ammo has done well with reduced recoil and being less harsh....it means the lcp is a keeper for me.
courious. When I do carry (& it's not all that often) I load BuffaloBore. I also load BB (in several calibers) when I'm in the backcountry. .380 "+P" BB goes for a back a round. .380 target ammo (Winchester White box) goes for 3-for-a-buck. By your post I infer that you shoot (somewhat) expensive ammo at the range (maybe I'm wrong). If you do, do you have a reason?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Elsie has bit my finger a few times too. When I let a friend and my girl try her out, he gave it back when the mag ran empty, she after three rounds. (she loves her LCR though) This gun is not a comfortable one to shoot. I only shoot enough to stay proficient. What it is comfortable doing is carrying Elsie all day every day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can't say I've had that problem. Since the first time I pulled the trigger everything has been great; no pinches or other discomfort. I do use the joint in between my distal and intermediate phalanges to pull the trigger instead of the pad of my finger, if that matters. My hands are too long to comfortable use the pad of my finger; I end up having to twist the gun in my grip to draw the trigger back all the way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.