Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this article on the CCI Web Sight written by Brad Fitzpatrick and wanted to share it . its a good read .

Starting Pistols

Reactions: Quietone

·
Registered
516 Posts
I came across this article on the CCI Web Sight written by Brad Fitzpatrick and wanted to share it . its a good read .

Starting Pistols
Great article. I also recommend a good 22Lr as a first gun, rifle or handgun. I've run into so many people who dismiss this notion.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
In my view training is learning something you don't know. One should learn with your primary carry weapon. I wouldn't run drills under pressure and adrenaline dump with a little 22 unless a 22 is my carry gun. I see guy's and gal's practicing what they have learned in training with a from tine to time with a 22.
If I had showed up at Gunsite Academy years ago with a 22 they would have sent me home. Den

Reactions: SGW Gunsmith

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great article. I also recommend a good 22Lr as a first gun, rifle or handgun. I've run into so many people who dismiss this notion.
I am glad you enjoyed it , I agree the 22 LR Handgun & Rifle is a must have !

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
In my view training is learning something you don't know. One should learn with your primary carry weapon. I wouldn't run drills under pressure and adrenaline dump with a little 22 unless a 22 is my carry gun. I see guy's and gal's practicing what they have learned in training with a from tine to time with a 22.
If I had showed up at Gunsite Academy years ago with a 22 they would have sent me home. Den
Now that Jeff Cooper is gone I see the Gunsite Academy for the most part as bunch of wannabe warriors with big egos and blowhards who never had to defend themselves in combat !

·
Registered
113 Posts

Starting Pistols
Great article and thanks. I totally believe in training with 22.cal. I especially love the LCR22, my favorite Trainer/practice/Plinker of all time. And shooting with a 22.cal especially a short barrel has been a blessing honing my skills.Most especially POINT AND SHOOT SKILLS. I love to place shotgun clays on the outdoor bern and rapid fire. For fun, when we are finished we take the clays and put on the 50 yd bern and just have a grand old time. Thanks for posting. I hope others can understand the value of this training. Sounds like Gun Site is doing a great job!

·
Registered
625 Posts
In my view training is learning something you don't know. One should learn wit your primary carry weapon. I wouldn't run drills under pressure and adrenaline dump with a little 22 unless a 22 is my carry gun. I see guy's and gal's practicing what they have learned in training with a from tine to time with a 22.
My training and practice regimen pretty much emulates yours. My maintenance training and serious practice involves the handguns I carry for protection. My .22 rimfire firearms are for hunting small game for the skillet and fun shooting like bowling pins and plates at the local gun club's skirmishes, and will never be involved with a hard adrenalin pumping situation.
These .22 rimfire shoots are fun events and still need practice to not lose that "perishable' skill set", though.
Guess I'm just not much of a believer in the efforts, and time involved, with shooting a "fun" cartridge, over a more serious, possibly life saving caliber, will carry over, one from the other. Too many variables involved, so that's why I keep the two disciplines separate.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I belong to a small group of friends, a small club of shooters that have been dedicated to shooting the Pocket guns since the Ruger first came out. All of us have shot thousands of rounds each year out of a variety of Pocket guns and we have informal competition. And I can tell you emphatically that some of these members are outstanding shooters with these small barrel firearms. Fast, drawing, rapid fire head shots at 15 yds is quite common. And guess what, we all train with small 22.cals and for a fact it has been a tremendous benefit in honing skills. And if you shoot these small 380's with frequency, you find them very easy to shoot, and recoil is a non issue. In fact, I find the recoil now to be about like a 22.cal magnum. And to transition from a 22.cal to a 380 is NOT that much of a change. This is not a argument that will be won by any of our members. They have too much experience with these guns, you would just be wasting your time. Point and shoot skills take a lot of time and money. You are training your eyes and your mind and mechanics of the hand and fingers to react fast. For gosh sake, how much 380 ammo can you go through compared to the cost of a 22.cal?
And if someone says they are training often and still shooting the Ruger LCP then I know they are not training very often at all. Why? Because these guns go down very quick. They are NOT built to last for any heavy duty shooting like better quality 380's.And I know this for a personal fact.
Personally Ruger could have done much better in the quality department than just make a wider grip and a few more rounds.And get back to the smooth DAO of the GEN 2. Smooth, controlled and deliberate. The LCll trigger is something that I cannot stand. And most especially a pocket gun. These are not target guns.
And for sure there is nothing wrong with a "FUN" gun. All that means is you want and desire to hit the range more often and shoot more. And guess what. I find the Pocket Gun and the Snub nose revolver the most FUN I have ever had shooting. I love shooting the 380 small guns. And if life was perfect, I would be able to shoot them all day long. Seldom did I ever take less than 200 rds per session. And always wanted to shoot more.And I go to the range many times per month.
At what about now? You mean to tell me you are hitting the range and Training, practicing etc. with a 380 shortage? As Sleepy Joe would say. C'mon Man!

Go through the many drills with a 380 and they can be done with a 22.cal. And shoot these guns enough, and you understand that a Pocket gun has many advantages over a larger gun. My main EDC is a small 380. And I do not want a fatter grip. Keep it slim.

·
Registered
625 Posts
My carry pistols involve an LC9s in the summer (9mm) and a Glock Model 23 when clothing that conceals it better is the norm. I don't and won't ever own a .380 of any sort, it's just not appealing to me. I took in a Walther PPK-S in that caliber several years ago as a trade-in on a larger caliber CCW pistol. Always thought they were a very nice adequate caliber. After shooting it a few times, I changed my mind, as I just wasn't impressed with it's performance. But, that's what choices are for.
I don't need to "get to a range". All I need to do is open the back door of my shop and there it is:

Pretty darn handy, except for the winter months.
Everyone, I'm sure, has their own time, and and regimen, as to when they feel the need to practice their shooting skills. I have mine, others have theirs, and I sure will never be dissuaded as to how often, or when, I need practice, I just know.
My Glock 23 has held up quite well over the decade that I've been shooting that pistol, while and during practice sessions, at least it hasn't worn out as yet, nor has my Ruger LC9s, but if either does get warn out to the point where they just won't work anymore, I'll get another of the same kind. Seems like a very reasonable thing to do.

·
Registered
113 Posts
For me it Is not when I "Need": to practice skills. I go often simply because I LOVE shooting. As far as winter. I have a Outdoor Range where my club meets. Winter is the best time for me. I look at the calender and look for the worst days, rain etc(withing reason). Those are the days when I have the range almost to myself.You are blessed to have your own outdoor range. That also would be a Air Gunners Paradise. I shoot airguns just like 22'cals. And ammo even cheaper. My back yard and garage actually get a lot of workouts.
I have at least two of all my carry guns. One for range and one for carry. And I keep spare parts available as a "Just in case".

·
Registered
625 Posts
I recently bought a 2 X 2 foot square ½-ich thick steel plate for a bullet trap I'm making for in my shop during rainy days and the cold months so I can shoot inside my shop to test function of .22 pistols and revolvers after work done, rather than get all bundled up to go outside. Might even come in handy to get some 50 foot shooting done while I'm at it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts