Ruger Pistol Forums banner

Trade

5K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Mokanracer 
#1 ·
Not sure if posting this in right section, if not I apologize. I am curious, if wanted to trade a pistol lets say the LCP for a 9mm (cheaper ammo) how would one go about such a trade if it were not with someone from their own state? and what would be the likelihood of someone wanting to trade a higher caliber for a lower caliber, noting the LCP is a good carry sized pistol. Opinions appricieated.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
ColtsFan said:
I've been through this as well. There was a guy that I wanted to trade with that lived in Ohio, and it turns out the only legal way is shipping to FFL's. My suggestion is keep you LCP and get a 9mm too. A good one like, say the Glock 19 ;)
I may have to keep it, I do like it, just things a little tight now and looking for a cheaper ammo option, maybe I will hold out in hopes things turn around.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
kraigster414 said:
96GTS said:
kraigster414 said:
Indy, my pleasure. Keep in mind there are going to be dealer transfer fees involved ranging from $20-30 normally from the outbound and inbound FFL dealers. Additionally, it's important that both traders are onboard, e.g. they know what they are getting and agree to the conditions before shipping. Communication is key. You don't want your gun coming back.
Or nothing coming back :mad:
Yeah, that's true too.
Good points, thanks guys.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Mahstah said:
It might be a lot easier for you to sell the LCP, there are waiting lists in all the stores in my area for them. There were still 95 people in line behind me when I got mine a month or so ago, and I was on the list since April.
Thanks Mahstah for your reply, for now I am just pondering the idea but this is something definitely for me to think on, I like the LCP and only have 100 rounds through it, with out a hiccup but thinking if I could get a 9mm maybe I could shoot more often cause I can get 9mm ammo much cheaper. I kinda hate to part with it but I am looking at my options, unfortunately if nobama gets in he may make all of us stay home and not shoot are guns. ???

Discussion starter · #13 ·
ColtsFan said:
I agree about Obama! I know what you mean about $$ too, I just recently sold one of my 9mm's to put an LG-431 on my LCP and Trijicons on my Glock 19. I would love to get a Walther PPS but that won't be for a while, I need to slow down my spending on gun stuff.

If you are looking for a cheap 9mm, the Kel-Tec PF-9 is decent (despite what you might hear). I just sold mine, but it was a great little gun, and very inexpensive.
Thanks for the tip about the pf-9. I have seen them, what did you think about accuracy, recoil?

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Legionnaire said:
Lots of good info and ideas above. Just one misstatement that I caught:
For starters, your gun has to be mailed FFL to FFL
Federal law actually states that a non-licensee (non-FFL) may ship to a licencee (FFL) in any state. You don't have to have an FFL on the sender's end. However, more and more FFLs are choosing (it's not a requirement) to receive only from another FFL. You have to check the policy of the receiving FFL.

Complicating the matter, a non-FFL cannot ship a handgun through the U.S. Postal Service; must use a common carrier (FedEx, UPS, etc.). These latter, in their infinite wisdom, are now requiring (policy again, not law) that handguns be shipped next day air, which costs a ton for a heavy gun going a long way. Offset that by the fact that if you ship through an FFL on your end, you'll probably pay USPS costs plus whatever transfer fee your FFL charges.

Point is that organizational policies (e.g., "I'll only receive shipment from another FFL" or "You have to ship Next Day Air) are not laws. The only federal requirements here are (1) you have to ship to an FFL if shipping to another state; and (2) non-FFLs can't ship handguns through the U.S. Postal Service.

All that said, either hang onto your LCP, or try to sell it locally.
Good post!! and thank you for your advice Legionnaire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.