Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article by a wellknown gun man who stated he carried in his 9mm all aluminum cased ammo for it was alot lighter than brass cased ammo and his statement was less is best.

has anyone thrown on a scale 6 9mm 115 grain brass cased round and then 6 9mm aluminum cased 115 grain rounds to get the actual difference.

also how aobut the same comparison in 380, brass over aluminum, same bullet weight.

Just curious.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My bet is you'd never feel the difference certainly after carrying for more than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybejim said:
My bet is you'd never feel the difference certainly after carrying for more than 5 minutes.
probably right, I certainly would not change over as not much offered in good quality defense ammo in aluminum cases. but was just insterested..

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've never put it on the scale, but the weight diff. between an aluminum case and brass case is miniscule (esp. in small-common automatic pistol chamberings). I think the only way you would find any reasonable weight savings would be if you are carrying in the hundreds or rounds ballpark. Not to mention, who loads aluminum cased ammunition? Blazer? Yeah, I'll shoot it at the range if the price is oustanding (otherwise, I want the brass- for reloading), but no thanks for carry.

DOD is researching alternative materials for casings for all kinds of cased ammunition; aluminum isn't even on the radar. It's below the dismal prospects of case-less ammunition. The weight savings isn't worth the cost to impliment the change.

When you start talking about smaller caliber pistol ammunition, weight reduction in any form other than less bullet weight isn't going to add up to much over the course of 20-30rds.

BUT, I would be curious to see some actual figures; I've been wrong before

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HowardCohodas said:
Besides, what SD ammo comes with an aluminum case?
I think I stated that also. I was just asking what I thought was a simple question to see if the writer was as full of shi- as I thought he was. I don't have powder scales or I could have done it myself. There is certainly a differene in weight in 6 rounds of 9mm. how much I cannot say.Would you notice it, probalby not either..

·
Registered
53 Posts
My friends have had terrible feed problems with Blazer Aluminum, mostly in Glock 17's. I have stayed away from it in general because of that. Lite is nice especially when its something you imagine.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Every aluminum cased shell I've ever shot has been junk. The only ones I'm aware of is from CCI called "Blazer". They are totally unreliable in auto's but seem to work "fairly" well in revolvers. I don't care how much lighter they are, they are not reliable. Don't waste your time weighing them against brass cased shellS! They are not trustworthy in a SD gun!

·
Registered
452 Posts
The only possible difference I could see might be if he is carrying a double stacked magazine in his 9mm. There very well could be a noticeable difference in the weight of say 14 or 15 rounds. But I have to agree that after 5 minutes of carry it would be unnoticeable.

Just IMO,
Nick :-\

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.