Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am struggling to decide if I "need" to send my LCP back in. I like the way it shoots don't see a reason to exchange the mechanism out. Can anyone provide a clear reason to send it in beyond the free mag? Admittidly I do not know the reasons for the recall (waited 5 weeks for it and within 24 hours the recall was posted) beyond it failed the CA drop test and would really love to know what the new mechanisms are that are going in if sent back. Will study other postings now.

Also, would like to find a leather pocket holster with room for C trace laser just like C trace has on it site but with a mag portion attached to it preferably to back at flat heel end inside pocket side. Anyone seem one like this.

thanks,
Const, WA

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey Const.
I had the same thoughts.... didn't need the extra mag, didn't need the hat.... but the hammer block, metal mag. release and any other mods that they performed are worth the trip to Prescott for your Elsie.....

SK

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks all, good points though can't see myself without one ( i.e. if sold buy another - which would be like a sent in one). Please do continue to pass along these points as they are all valid. not 100% convinced. say
50%, need to know what they are doing to it. can't seem to find a post documenting it all.

still looking for a soft brown leather pocket holster with attached mag slot rear inside just like C trace one to fit the laser

Const.
WA

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, safety. El Monte P.D. (Ca.) officers bought 30 of them for back up guns. Since they didn't have a manual safety, their range master required them to pass a drop test. They dropped 3 guns, and all 3 fired a blank on the first drop.
Knowing this, I'd hate to drop one at the range or anywhere else and have a round go off. No matter how careful you are, accidents will happen. Ruger is doing this safety improvement for free, actually paying you (in goods) to do it. You owe it to yourself and those around you to do it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
+1 to what all have said above. My reason is why not? You just wont have it for like a week.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Maybe a legal reason, you know about the recall for the drop safety, if you chose to ignore it and worst case it gets dropped and discharges and hits somebody it would be easier to convict you of something because you decided not to have the recall work done. I could be wrong on this but in today's world I could see it happening.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Bishop said:
Well, safety. El Monte P.D. (Ca.) officers bought 30 of them for back up guns. Since they didn't have a manual safety, their range master required them to pass a drop test. They dropped 3 guns, and all 3 fired a blank on the first drop.
GOOD INFO!!! I hadn't really heard any of the details on what prompted the recall. A few isolated anecdotes about guys dropping theirs and having them go off is one thing. But, having a PD do some systematic tests and getting consistent results makes a lot of sense as to why Ruger would decide to remanufacture > 60,000 guns. I have gotten the impression that one of the larger segments of the Kel Tec market was as BUGs for LEOs. If Ruger got a bad reputation among the police for reliability that would hurt one of their largest potential markets.

·
Registered
335 Posts
constitution said:
ok, slept on it and it going back in. Hope it operates the same as it does now?
thanks for the advice. Who's going to loan me theirs for 2 weeks?

Const
WA
I am glad to hear you are sending her back, I think it is best there is a known problem, and they are fixing it. Mine was fine before I sent her in and she is fine now. I think the mag drop issue is just a few guns not all of them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
FYI - they did not do the metal mag realease when i did mine the week before Christmas.

Its going back in today (enroute) so make sure you talk to someone, attach a note - not sure if this is done as part of the recall now.

My LCP drops the mag after a shot after the recall work was done, did not before.

·
Registered
150 Posts
halfmoonclip said:
I knew there was a reason I kept my P3AT...it makes a backup 'till Elsie comes home... ;D
Moon
I hope this doesn't break your heart, but the Kel-Tec had the same issue with their P-3AT. Unlike the responsible action taken by Ruger (At great expense to them), Kel-Tec quietly changed their assembly method to accommodate the fix. All the untold thousands of P-3AT owners before the change were S.O.L. since Kel-Tec isn’t offering to fix any of the guns already on the street . Now there's customer service for ya'.

It is strange how the company that does the right thing is the one that gets the black eye.

·
Registered
150 Posts
kensteele said:
^are you saying if you have a problem with your k-t and send it in, they won't fix it and will leave you hold the bag with a broken k-t?
I have no first hand knowledge of Kel-Tec's policy for repairing individual P-3ATs. Or, if they are admitting to the flaw publicly. I am only saying that they did not go to the extreme expense of a full-scale recall the way Ruger did. This tells me everything I need to know about each company and which one I will spend my money with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.