Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to the range with the new LCP yesterday. The slide is very tight going into battery- the last 1/8" or so. Also, when drawing the slide back about 1/4", (with a round chambered) it will not return. Did a complete fluff 'n buff- it seems like the extractor is too tight on the cartrideg case. Fired about 170 rounds total. Had 5 jams in the first 120, the last 50 were OK. The jams were fail to extract issues. Any ideas? I'd prefer to not return it to the factory.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I also noticed the reluctance of the barrel to lock. I do a lot of dry fire with snap caps, IE pull the slide back 1/8" to cock it. After a couple of hundred times it slides home reel nice. But when you jack in a new shell it is a bit of a hassle to get the slide home. It looks like the extractor is the culprit. It may have a strong spring or not be smooth enough. I reload and have noticed that the extractor does mark the brass a bit. I may pull the extractor out and smooth the edges and make sure the spring is free.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've noticed the same thing when drawing the slide back to load the first round. I just push it a bit and it and it locks home.

Doesn't do it when firing, but one time out of 50 rounds it slightly hesitated at that point before a full return.

I am hoping it goes away as the pistol wears in . . .

·
Registered
211 Posts
I too have experienced it to a slight degree. Mine is running much better after 300 Rounds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:
Fired another 100 rounds Saturday. Had 1 fail to extract. Close examination and comparison to my GFs LCP shows what I believe to be a bad extractor. Sent it back to Ruger.
Thanks to all who helped!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Smaller pistols having smaller slide mass requires better engineering, better fit, better lubrication, more functioning for everything to fit properly. In my experience smaller pistols is better for concealment but most I have owned have had some malfunctions to deal with. But all being said, I do like and enjoy my lcp. I am sure the Ruger engineering staff have learned alot about producing smaller pistols.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
davekp said:
Update:
Fired another 100 rounds Saturday. Had 1 fail to extract. Close examination and comparison to my GFs LCP shows what I believe to be a bad extractor. Sent it back to Ruger.
Thanks to all who helped!
I would think if you indeed had a bad extractor that you would have had more that one FTE out of 100 rounds. Don't fly off the handle here please but it could have been a limpwrist issue for that one round also. If an extractor is bad, it should operate badly all the time. FWIW IMO

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
RedPepper2 said:
Smaller pistols having smaller slide mass requires better engineering, better fit, better lubrication, more functioning for everything to fit properly. In my experience smaller pistols is better for concealment but most I have owned have had some malfunctions to deal with. But all being said, I do like and enjoy my lcp. I am sure the Ruger engineering staff have learned alot about producing smaller pistols.
what ur saying may well be true, but when one buys such a small handgun and expects it to work as good as a 28 ounce handgun, then issues that are not the guns fault will appear. In all of these little guns proper grip technique is a must. I know it is often an over used term but limpwristing with these little gun is very common.

I would think before I sent any gun back be it an lcp or kt or taurus or kahr, I would let someone else who is to your knowledge also an accomplished shooter, shoot your gun. If he has the same issues as you then indeed you might have a gun issue. If not then indeed it is a shooter issue. Once you mind feels confident that it is not the guns issue, then you can work on your techniques and it is solveable very easily.

I can remember reading numerous times on the kt website where the kt technician would report that a vast amout of their kt's returned for fte/FTF issues would not produce the same results when test fired. I know many don't want to hear that either ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think it's a limpwrist issue. I'm a bullseye shooter and I don't have any problems there. The nose of the extractor was sheared off at an angle. This resulted in a point, rather than line contact with the cartridge case undercut. Hard to explain. Also, the extractor under cut had an additional step in it. It's my understanding that in a blowback operated weapon the extractor doesn't do much extracting, it mostly just holds the cartridge case in place. My issues were the extractor wasn't holding the fired cartridge case and was leaving the empty partially in the chamber. I think the failure to go into battery might have been from the incorrect extractor point digging into the cartridge case. Anyway, it was only by comparing it to a correct extractor that I could see the difference. I hope Ruger gets it right. Kind of annoyed at blowing $45 worth of ammo. though.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
davekp said:
I don't think it's a limpwrist issue. I'm a bullseye shooter and I don't have any problems there. The nose of the extractor was sheared off at an angle. This resulted in a point, rather than line contact with the cartridge case undercut. Hard to explain. Also, the extractor under cut had an additional step in it. It's my understanding that in a blowback operated weapon the extractor doesn't do much extracting, it mostly just holds the cartridge case in place. My issues were the extractor wasn't holding the fired cartridge case and was leaving the empty partially in the chamber. I think the failure to go into battery might have been from the incorrect extractor point digging into the cartridge case. Anyway, it was only by comparing it to a correct extractor that I could see the difference. I hope Ruger gets it right. Kind of annoyed at blowing $45 worth of ammo. though.
I'm assuming u know the lcp is not blowback and was maybe making reference to another brand.. I just have to re question the one time incident in shooting so many round.s If the extractor is bad as you describe, it should be doing it a heh of alot more than one time.

have you given it any thought to callibng ruger to see if they would send you a new extractor and installing it yourself. Would take maybe 5 minutes tops..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It did it more than just once. It was just once in the last 100 rounds I had one failure. Anyway, the extractor looked substantially different than one in a correctly functioning LCP. Looking at the extractor in the slide from the front end you should see a sort of rectangular shape. Mine was triangular- like half was sheared off diagionally.

___
l l
l l
l__ l

vs.
___
l /
l /
l/

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
davekp said:
It did it more than just once. It was just once in the last 100 rounds I had one failure. Anyway, the extractor looked substantially different than one in a correctly functioning LCP. Looking at the extractor in the slide from the front end you should see a sort of rectangular shape. Mine was triangular- like half was sheared off diagionally.

___
l l
l l
l__ l

vs.
___
l /
l /
l/
Update:
Got the gun back- they replaced the extractor and "repaired" the barrel. Looks like they shorteded the "hood" ever so slightly. They also replaced the guide rod, mag catch, and mag spring. The slide feels much smoother now.
Fired 100 rounds of W-W white box (flat nose) and Mag-tech round nose and all is well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.