Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am becoming more aware of events around me and am about to take a conceal carry class here in N.C. I know if I decide to get a permit the gun I choose will have to be light weight and comfortable or I will not carry it. I have an inner war deciding between the LCP and Bodyguard. The Smith has sights, safety and holds open. Three features I like. The laser I am on the fence about. I love the LCP's weight and smoothness. It's price with a side mount laser is comparable with the Smith. I have many questions about the Elsie and would appreciate some input from you folks that carry these.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I chose the LCP over the Bodygaurd hands down. Features? I want a SD pistol not a range gun. I don't want the slide to stay open letting the BG know I am out of rounds, plus no sharp edges or sites to get caught on clothing when drawing, no safety to slow me down. If SHTF I am pulling that weapon, pointing and shooting. If you have time to aim you may want to think twice about pulling the trigger. I know that depends on the situation but I think in the majority of scenarios I am correct. I don't want features I just want it to go bang. Although I do have the Crimson Laser on mine. It adds to an SD pistol plus good for practice. Thats just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Welcome from Oregon. Can't go wrong with the LCP. Can't speak to the Bodyguard, but love the light weight of Elsie. For me, why spend $$$ on a Laser when this is an "Up Close & Personal" type of SD weapon. Good luck on your Permit Class. Enjoy the forum! Yogi :cool:

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
There is another thread on here all about these two guns. Personally, I am with Yogi. By a bare bones LCP, shoot 50 or so rounds through her 4 or 5 times, put her in a good pocket holster and roll on. I never carried a gun consistently until I got the LCP. If she still looks perfect after you have owned her for a year, you are not carrying her and there will be plenty of buyers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't own an LCP yet, but I will as soon as I can. Many of my friends and my son in law have the LCP and I have heard absolutely no complaints, only praise. I mistakenly purchased another brand about a year or so ago, simply because I thought I had to have the stainless slide. It's just OK, but not reliable all the time. I have heard of no reliability issues with the LCP.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I looked at the Bodyguard and LCP for some time before deciding on the LCP. I do not believe in lasers for SD weapons. I have had lasers before and they are just not for me. I know some folks like them and that is OK. The added features on the Bodyguard, IMHO will only get in the way in an emergency. And, after over fifty years of owning and shooting all kinds of firearms, you cannot beat Ruger's quality and price balance.

·
Registered
123 Posts
As far as comfortable carry, I don't think it gets better than the LCP. The light weight and rounded edges are so comfortable you almost forget you have it. It's especially nice in this warmer weather with minimal clothes.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
It's a Ruger Pistol Forum, so what do you expect? And, there must be a reason for over 10,000 members here. You won't get a "balanced" perspective of those two guns because all of us here prefer the Ruger. I'd say, just go buy one, get a good collection of holsters, carry it always, practice for self defense proficiency and enjoy life.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is there a S&W Bodyguard forum? I say find a buddy who has one, ask to borrow it and try it out. No LCP's available? Try local ranges and see if they have one to shoot. None at the range? Buy one used/new. They don't really lose value and I don't see it being an issue trying to sell it (legally). Good luck. I say get one, mod it to your taste, and love her like all of us do.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I honestly spent more time researching the holsters than I did deciding to buy the LCP. The LCP is only as comfortable as the holster it rides in and I have a few holsters. The laser button on the Bodyguard is difficult to operate. I had to have both hands on the BG to operate the laser button...not user friendly to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts