Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't try and change sights unless you really know what you are doing and have all the right equipment. Tried to remove the front sight from a new pistol a couple days ago and could not get it all the way off using a general purpose one size fits all sight pusher. Made the mistake of putting it in a vise and even though I had it padded and thought I had everything under control ended up cracking the lower left portion of the slide. The story continues as I took it to a gunsmith and had the sight removed and the new one put on as I did not realize at the time that I'd already cracked the slide. So as a result of wanting to be an amateur gunsmith to save a few bucks the cost of the attempted savings is $40.00 to put the new sight on and $350 for a new slide with night sights. A costly folly on my part that taught me a good lesson. Let the professionals do it.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
camper said:
Don't try and change sights unless you really know what you are doing and have all the right equipment. Tried to remove the front sight from a new pistol a couple days ago and could not get it all the way off using a general purpose one size fits all sight pusher. Made the mistake of putting it in a vise and even though I had it padded and thought I had everything under control ended up cracking the lower left portion of the slide. The story continues as I took it to a gunsmith and had the sight removed and the new one put on as I did not realize at the time that I'd already cracked the slide. So as a result of wanting to be an amateur gunsmith to save a few bucks the cost of the attempted savings is $40.00 to put the new sight on and $350 for a new slide with night sights. A costly folly on my part that taught me a good lesson. Let the professionals do it.
Oops! I have to give you credit, camper. I think there are alot of us out there that would not have the kahunas to admit a mistake like that. I guess the main thing is you learned a lesson, and with you sharing that with us, hopefully we have also....thank you!
Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
camper said:
not sure what kind of site tool u were using. but I have the P500 universal sight tool sold by brownells for $130.00. a vice is not needed with it, no way you can damage the slide. One of the best site tools for the money. I can move front and rear site with ease and if you expect to be doing this with different gun, indeed get a good tool It took me years to finally buy the damn tool but my sites don't look like they have been through a war either and I have been able to install new sites myself without the help of a smity. a great tool and for every shooter, probably a tool that should be on ur want list.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jocko, I was using a P500, but the sight did not want to go more than halfway and could not get a good position even using shims inside the base of the tool for the slide. That's when i took it out and put it in a small very padded vise to use a dowel to tap the sight with. This was when I cracked it. Have returned the P500 as I don't plan to go back into the sight pushing business. They are sending the old slide assembly back to me so I'll have some spare parts for this pistol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been debating on getting some adjustable sights on my Smith & Wesson Sigma .40. After reading this post I think I will just wait and try a few more different types of rounds before I try to correct my sights. So far I have used about a half a dozen brands and they all seem to go just left of center. I don't think its the brands because they all seem to do the same thing to the left which is why I was thinking about an adjustable sight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know what you mean, bunko. Tried to take my new Mark III Hunter apart, ended up creating a stainless steel burr, took it to gunsmith, he can't put it together, picking it up tomorrow to send off to Ruger. No way I will take that gun apart again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
2gnt97gs said:
I have been debating on getting some adjustable sights on my Smith & Wesson Sigma .40. After reading this post I think I will just wait and try a few more different types of rounds before I try to correct my sights. So far I have used about a half a dozen brands and they all seem to go just left of center. I don't think its the brands because they all seem to do the same thing to the left which is why I was thinking about an adjustable sight.
You might want to correcting your finger/grip:

Left at 9:00=Too little trigger finger.
Left at 8:00=Tightening fingers.
Left at 10:00/11:00=Pushing (anticipating recoil) or no follow-through.

·
Registered
116 Posts
drs1457 said:
I know what you mean, bunko. Tried to take my new Mark III Hunter apart, ended up creating a stainless steel burr, took it to gunsmith, he can't put it together, picking it up tomorrow to send off to Ruger. No way I will take that gun apart again.
Ruger Mark I & II are a pain to put back together.

·
Registered
220 Posts
it takes me forever to put my markII back togeather also ,it doesnt seem to get easier for me, even after all the times ive done it . now the LCP and SR9 are easy, i have a hard time with the mini 14 to, but ive only done that once

·
Registered
29 Posts
can someone please share some insight in removing the front site from a brand new ruger mark III 22/45

it appears that for the front site i just need to undo the single screw holding it on and then replace in with the hi-viz site that came with its own mounting hardware (hex head thank got)

the problem is the old site has a medium/small screw (NOT phillips) and even using exactly the right sized screwdriver i'm afraid i'm going to strip it!

am i missing something stupid?

the directions go into great detail regarding the rear site replacement but mention not a word about the rear site...

matthew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.