Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my post a few weeks ago I have put 170 more rounds through my LCP (270 total). Initially I had an issue with the slide. http://elsiepeaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=1636.0

Thanks to Jocko I that issue was resolved by racking the slide a few hundred times (simulating the gun firing). The second hundred rounds when smoothly except for one fail to eject on my second to last mag (probably from limp wristing)

Today I wanted to run some new ammo through it but had problems finding 380 ammo. I stopped by Cabelas and found some range and SD ammo. The cheap ammo worked flawlessly as well as the first 6 shots of the Buffalo Bore (BB) (just a little louder and a little more kick). With the 7th shot of the BB the magazine automatically ejected (using the Ruger mag with finger extension). I thought I may have sqeezed the grip too tightly and accidentally but that was not the case (similar to other magzine issues mentioned in the forum). The following 5 BB shots dropped the magazine each shot. Even my standard range ammo caused the mag to drop from this point on. I tried the second mag (no extension) and the magazine continued to drop out (standard ammo).

On the way home from the range I stopped at the gun store and had the LCP sent back for repairs (did not have a chance to diagnose the problem but hopefully Ruger will).

One positive note is that I am finally getting accostomed to the trigger and shots are actually hitting where I aim them.

ps. Gun it post recall with diamond stamp

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently received my LCP back from Ruger after recall. They sent a new magazine with finger extension and I wanted to try it at the range. The new magazine ejected after each shot. I put the old magazine in and it worked fine, so I took the finger extension off the "bad" magazine and put it on the old one. It works, but now I have only one functioning magazine again and I'm reluctant to buy another. What if that does the same thing?
I checked the dimensions of both magazines with a dial caliper and they appear to be identical. You seem to think the problem is in the gun (perhaps the magazine release) and not in the magazine. I was without my LCP for a few weeks already and don't like the idea of sending it in again.
Any suggestions out there?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
skyfox said:
You seem to think the problem is in the gun (perhaps the magazine release) and not in the magazine. I was without my LCP for a few weeks already and don't like the idea of sending it in again.
Any suggestions out there?
The finger extension on the magazine base plate lets you put pressure on the magazine relative to the mag release that is different without the extension. I think it is a good bet that the problem is in the mag release. Can you tell if the mag release in you LCP is plastic or metal? If it is plastic, I would recommend you have it upgrade. Mine is plastic, but I have had no problems with the mags popping out, so I'm leaving well enough alone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine has the same problem. With the occasional ftf. I emailed ruger and they insisted that i send it back. When I later talked with a tech to get the return label, she told me that they were replacing all the plastic magazine latches with metal ones. It must be a more common problem than we think. They have had it 1 week so far and no reply to me yet.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
DAVMAN13 said:
They have had it 1 week so far and no reply to me yet.
Unfortunately, if your LCP has already been through the recall, even though replacing the mag release is part of the recall process these days, yours probably went to the repair team. The repair team does not have the kind of turn-around the recall team does because every LCP problem is different and is hard to predict how long it will take to diagnose and fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was afraid of that...thanks for the info. It is a post recall model. This is my 1st experience with a Ruger. 3 weeks old, 2 shooting sessions , +/-75 rounds total, and it had to be sent back for repair. Can't say that they have impressed me.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It sucks to have problems with an item, but anything man made can have problems and can/will break. Ruger will take care of you just give them a chance.

RS

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I must just be me.

Last 3 firearms I've purchased new have had to go back to the factory for repair, nearly immediately. Kel-Tec PF9 made it probably only a dozen rounds before a frame pin walked and sheared. Gone for 6 weeks. Mossberg 464 lever gun broke two extractors before even firing once. Factory had it for 5 weeks. I asked them to send out the 2nd extractor and I would replace it myself. I did not want it to be gone 5 weeks again.

My LCP couldn't make it through a magazine without losing its magazine. Total of 12 rounds fired, and it's been at Ruger for nearly 4 weeks now.

I need to quit buying 'new' firearms.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Take your magazines apart. Inside you will find a piece of black plastic on top of the spring. This is called a follower. On the plastic follower the part of it where it passes the open slot where the magazine catch engages the magazine take and sand or file some of the plastic material off that area the entire length of the plastic follower. This will make a noticeable difference when you get your LCP back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I too experienced the dreaded post recall magazine drop. I called Ruger a few weekends ago after a trip to the range,and told them of the mag drops. The nice women on the phone said "Oh, you must have the plastic magazine release." Long story short, They sent me the part, I fooled with it, I sent them the gun On 6/15/09.
I got a call Last night from another nice women at Ruger, she apologized for all the hassles and told me how the smith that worked on my gun was a real perfectionist. I guess this gentleman polished the feed ramp, replaced the ejector, replaced the recoil springs and the mag release. I guess he put 25 rounds of the Black hills ammo they use through it too, with 5 different magazines and no drops! (fingers crossed) The women from Ruger gave me a tracking number and said look for it Thurs. 6/24/09.
Hope this will be the last trip to Prescott! :-\

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.