Ruger Pistol Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
The UTube I reviewed was good....now I remember why I took to my gunsmith!
What's a few spare parts when you are finished?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ya, that's what I was thinking.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I thought about doing the magazine disconnect disable to mine but I just ain’t never got around to doin’ it. Guess I just still haven’t really come up with a good enough reason to disable it. Haven’t really heard any pros or cons for why you’d want to or not want to but I guess in my opinion, if somebody was able to wrestle my gun away from me in a struggle and if I was successful at ejecting the magazine before he gained complete control, at least he wouldn’t be able to shoot me with own gun....lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Also, if doing dry firing, it can be a real pain to locate the orange "fake" magazine.

·
Registered
499 Posts
It's been a coupla-3 years now and the LC9s is still listed on Ruger's web-site:

Some make the claim (falsely?) that the MAX 9 will replace the LC9s. They must NOT have priced the extra magazines for the MAX. 😲

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's been a coupla-3 years now and the LC9s is still listed on Ruger's web-site:

Some make the claim (falsely?) that the MAX 9 will replace the LC9s. They must NOT have priced the extra magazines for the MAX. 😲
I am a fan of the LC9s, enough so that I scrounged up some parts kits to keep one going for many years to come, and I keep having this strong desire to make some frame inserts so that I can reassemble the parts kits. And top it all off, I have shopped for 3d scanners with the idea of scanning the grip frame of a LC9s, and a Max-9, and make some grip frames to accept the 10 and 12 round Max-9 magazines. I don't like the high profile sights and less-sleek slide of the Max-9, and it's hard enough to hide a LC9s with a laser. I can not imagine trying to keister a Max-9 with a red dot sight for EDC.

All that said, there has been some chicanery in how Ruger has sold the LC9s.

There are a bunch of firearm journalism stories dating between December 2019 and April 2020, announcing the LC9s was discontinued and the EC9s was being offered in its place. These would have been instigated by a press release from Ruger. There is not a lot of effort put into firearms journalism. Most of what is printed is regurgitation of a manufacturer's press release. Look at the coverage of the Max-9 introduction. 90+% of the written articles are nearly straight reprints of the press release from Ruger. Most of the actual product reviews, where someone got their hands on one and shared their opinion, are in the form of Youtube videos. There are only a few actual written reviews that go beyond the press release. Laziness. So we know that a little over a year ago, Ruger announced that they were discontinuing the LC9s, and those stories, mostly titled "LC9s; Gone Too Soon", were standard regurgitation of that press release.

Now look at the history of the LC9s product page on the Ruger website using the archive.org wayback machine.
Go back to March of 2018, and they had 14 different variations of the LC9s listed on that page. Purple, tan, pink camo, gray, teal, yellow, scrimshaw style engraved slides. Showing exclusive distributor models from Gallery of Guns, Sports South, Bill Hicks, Bangers, and Talo.
2019 and 2020, four variations. Engraved slide, nickle plated slide, teal, and yellow. All from Talo only.
Around November of 2020, all the variations are gone. Black only. No distributor indicated. And no Pro model. From that point to now, it is shown available only as the standard black with the thumb safety.
When they trim down all the upgrades and limited editions, it's a good indication that they are not pushing the product.

This thread shows that there was at least one previous "discontinued" scare dating to July of 2018.

There is a very effective marketing technique of making the appearance that a product will no longer be available. Because all those people who have been putting off a purchase, suddenly jump up and want to grab the item before they can no longer get it.

There is also the possibility that the powers within Ruger have fought back and forth on ending and keeping the model.

By the way, as I mentioned previously, in the summer of 2020, the availability dropped and the market price went up to $50 over what retail was at that time, based on it being "discontinued". But there appeared to be an unending supply. And in the fall of 2020, they raised the suggested retail price by $50.

Again, I like them. I hope they continue to be offered. I'd love a grip frame that would hold the 10 or 12 round magazine. But the best way to characterize the life of the model is that it has previously been discontinued (more than once), and has been brought back. And that makes future availability a big question.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts