Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A company called techna clip has an LCP specific belt clip and was wondering if anyone has tried them out. I know I will hear from the folks that are on the belief that you have to use a pocket holster and I agree it is probably to safest and cleanest way to pocket carry your LCP. I am just wondering if anyone has tried it out yet. Thanks!!

G

·
Welcome Target! I think that product would be unsafe, and allow a lot of lint,etc. into the gun that you don't want. These clips were around for the Kel-Tec .380. I wouldn't do it. Like Ram and Rogue said, a pocket holster (and there are a lot of good ones) is the way to go. I don't think too many members would be for it. Safety is first and foremost on the forum! Sorry for the rant, I guess you just wanted to know if anyone tried it out! ;)
Ray

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses, kind of what I thought I would get. I guess I can understand the theory of it staying cleaner and less lint and so forth, however a friend of mine took his pocket pistol out of his pocket holster and racked the slide back and lint fell out it. Go figure huh. I guess to each his own. Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
463 Posts
There's a youtube video on the clip. Had one on my Kel-Tec and it worked fine. Kept the pistol higher in my right side pocket than using a pocket holster. It never was a problem when I pocket carried with lint because even with my LCP and nemesis holster I always turn out my pants pockets before going into the wash and always before putting the holster in my pocket. The downside of the clip is when drawing the pistol you don't get as good a grip on the pistol as you do with a nemesis-type holster. Another minor problem with the clip for me was the pistol tilting in my pocket. Might be what the doctor ordered for some people, but I prefer a pocket holster.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
OnTarget said:
Thanks for the responses, kind of what I thought I would get. I guess I can understand the theory of it staying cleaner and less lint and so forth, however a friend of mine took his pocket pistol out of his pocket holster and racked the slide back and lint fell out it. Go figure huh. I guess to each his own. Thanks again for your input.
It's not about lint. It's about an exposed trigger. You'll get lint with or without a holster. Your buddy didn't clean his carry weapon often enough. Once a week for a carry gun. I thought it was common sense.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've never used a clip on a LCP but I've used one on a 1911 .45 pistol. I use it for inside the waist band carry so it does not gather much lint. Works OK. If They don't cost too much I'd try it and see if it works for me.

Trapper

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Yes, but a 1911 pistol has a thumb safety and a grip safety. No such thing on a LCP. Inadvertantly pulling the trigger on a draw (or if it gets caught on something) is a serious issue on a gun with no external safeties, like the LCP.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Guns are dangerous weapons. We are responsible for handling them with the utmost safety, not only for ourselves but also for those around us. To carry a loaded gun with even a remote possibility of negligently activating the trigger IS NOT SAFE AND SHOULD NEVER BE DONE OR CONDONED. In my opinion, the people selling these clips should take them off the market and bury them in a landfill.

Mayo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mayo just playing devils advocate here, but there is always the remote possibility of a negliegent discharge no matter how good your holster is for any kind of gun and any amount of practice. I totally understand the exposed trigger worry (even though the pull is all day on it) (and if you carry anything else in your pocket carry, holster or not, is stupid) but isn't just as risky trying to get it out of your pocket with some of these holsters that don't come out of your pocket very easy. Trigger covered or not when you reach for it you are just as much at risk with it exposed. Not trying to argue just good conversation.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I would contend that the chance of a ND is more likely when you go to clip that uncovered trigger into your garment. When you pull the gun out, you are pulling the gun away from the clothing and in the opposite direction the trigger would be pulled. Additionally, an uncovered trigger could present issues unforseen, such as the possibility of getting snagged on something and the trigger being pulled that way. Wouldn't happen with a covered trigger in a good holster.

Lastly, and this is a training issue. When you draw a gun from a holster, your trigger finger MUST be indexed along the frame of the gun and should not be placed anywhere near the trigger until you are up on target and are ready to shoot. I have trained this way my entire shooting life and I would say that the chance of a ND from a pocket holster, or any good holster for that matter, is almost non-existent. Again, your training and competence determines your personal safety. For my money, I'm keeping my finger away from the trigger at all times when the gun is pointed anywhere near my body (holstering, unholstering, low ready, etc). In fact, even if you are pointing a gun at a bad guy, your finger really should be off the trigger unless you are actually shooting.

·
Super Moderator
4,634 Posts
I will stick with a holster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ram, never said anything about putting your finger on the trigger to pull your gun out. Thought that was commen sense right? That is gun handling 101. However, not everyone will do that every time so that is why is could happen with the best holster in the world. Bottom line is whatever method you choose, practice, practice, practice! Speed draws are a must over and over with a empty gun even. Anyway, on a side note just let everyone know going to a machine gun shoot this weekend! OFASTS down in Wyondotte, Oklahoma. It is a blasts!!!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
OnTarget said:
However, not everyone will do that every time so that is why is could happen with the best holster in the world.
That is why it is a training issue. You cannot fault a good quality holster for someone's stupidity. The issue I'm driving at is the fact that the completely exposed trigger could be yanked or pulled or pushed either during the time where you clip it into a garment, or at any time when you are out and about, moving around and so forth. Some of us are extremely active and do a lot more than just standing, sitting, walking, etc. I do everything from yard work, hiking, backpacking, snowcaving, camping, atv riding, climbing, running, etc with my LCP. With such high levels of activity, and very diverse extremes in environments, I would never depend on the gun behaving properly with nothing more than a clip to hold it in my pocket or in my waistband. Life's way too precious to put trust your life to a thin metal clip. A good quality, full holster, that covers the trigger, is the only way to safely carry a double action pistol with no external safeties. I'm not saying it's the only way to carry - it's the only SAFE way to carry. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts