Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taurus: supposably has introduced an 8.5 ounce 380 at the shot show. That is all the info that I have at this time.

and the 380 pot just keeps getting bigger..It is a direct kel-tec clone AGAIN. also they are bringing out a ultra compact single stack 9mm, another kt clone. Will it ever end...

alittle more info gathered. the 380 weighs 8.5 ounces and will have a titanium slide.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Taurus TCP - The TCP, or Taurus Compact Pistol, is the latest .380 ACP pocket gun to hit the market. Kel Tec had this market cornered until Ruger launched the LCP last year. Now everyone is looking to get in on it.

The TCP is a very small, very thin, very light polymer pocket gun. The sights are almost non-existant, but I guess this was meant as a last ditch “get off me” kind of gun. The TCP does have a slide lock.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2009/01/15/new-taurus-guns-at-the-2009-shot-show/

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
devicemanager said:
Taurus TCP - The TCP, or Taurus Compact Pistol, is the latest .380 ACP pocket gun to hit the market. Kel Tec had this market cornered until Ruger launched the LCP last year. Now everyone is looking to get in on it.

The TCP is a very small, very thin, very light polymer pocket gun. The sights are almost non-existant, but I guess this was meant as a last ditch “get off me” kind of gun. The TCP does have a slide lock.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2009/01/15/new-taurus-guns-at-the-2009-shot-show/
sites???u mean kel-tec and Ruger's have sites???? No price shown for the titanium tcp. the 9mm is still 5 ounces heavier than my kahr PM9. My bet neither is striker fired???

still a nice entry into the compact world, IMO just moves kel tec a notch further back..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ruger improves the Keltec design and makes lots of money. Taurus gets upset because Ruger used thier business model, they decide to teach Ruger how to do it right and copy the design and the name.

Anyone see the sig p238? 380 kind 1911ish

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Mth96a said:
Ruger improves the Keltec design and makes lots of money. Taurus gets upset because Ruger used thier business model, they decide to teach Ruger how to do it right and copy the design and the name.

Who the heck knows :) but as far as the average shooter is concerned, they have little interest in who is copying who and who stole what. All they care about is price point, reputation for quality and customer service, size/weight and shootability. Let the manufacturers fight it out behind closed doors unless you happen to own stock in any of these companies.

Ruger, Taurus, Sig, Kahr....you are going to see even more companies enter the pocket .380 fray. The probable loser will be Keltec unless they can correct a reputation for spotty reliability (albeit the P3AT today is a better gun than the original design) and a rough looking/feeling P3AT exterior. Competition is the best thing that can occur as it forces companies to build a better mouse trap and causes consumers to be less accepting.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kraigster414 said:
Mth96a said:

Who the heck knows :) but as far as the average shooter is concerned, they have little interest in who is copying who and who stole what. All they care about is price point, reputation for quality and customer service, size/weight and shootability. Let the manufacturers fight it out behind closed doors unless you happen to own stock in any of these companies.

Ruger, Taurus, Sig, Kahr....you are going to see even more companies enter the pocket .380 fray. The probable loser will be Keltec unless they can correct a reputation for spotty reliability (albeit the P3AT today is a better gun than the original design) and a rough looking exterior. Competition is the best thing that can occur as it forces companies to build a better mouse trap and causes consumers to be less accepting.
another hnce thing about the taurus 380 is that they are also offering a 2 round extended magazine quite similar to what kt used to offer for ther 32 only. They never offered one in the 380 and many requested it . Ruger lcp should have had one IMO in the offering to. sure makes a nice range magazine, alittle more grip to control and certainly 2 more rounds of firepower.

I did notice on a close up photo o fthe taurus 380 that there is no rear frame pin , only the front pin by the trigger and the hammer block pin. I have no clue as to whether it is striker fired or not. there 9 mm entry into the ultra compact world is certainly a sweet looking gun also. at 17 ounces with the titanium slide, this gun should sell. Slide lock on the 380, have no idea if it is manual or auto. If I had to bet--naw I better not ???

going to be alot of 380 choices out there in 09 and some damn good 9mm pocket rockets to. I agree with kraigster, kt will be the looser IMO. BIG TIME...

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kraigster414 said:
When is the Taurus 380 due out? I have a feeling it may be here before the Kahr 380 :).
no argument there ol friend. actually I don't think taurus has announced a time date either, so who knows. The kahrs are shipping , just not alot out there yet. I have called all over Indiana and no one knows jack sh-t about delivery. They all say, we have them on order, for what that is worth.

I hate it when they introuduce a product and then a year later they still aren't shipping, kinda takes the fuzz off the peach for me even.

Ruer says March on the lcr, that is liveable for sure. Now if only taurus would say the same thing, ...Kahr didn't miss the deadline to far, =---- about a damn year....

Oh well I waited 6 months on my porsche when I special ordered it. ..

·
Registered
2,499 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kraigster414 said:
I know zero about Taurus. Never owned one and the reviews appear mixed. If their .380 makes an appearance before the Kahr 380 and it looks good, I may not wait on the Kahr. Then again, it sure does look like the LCP doesn't it? On second thought....

You go too light with these guns and you are really gong to feel it when shooting.

http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=4763.0

http://testdrive.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Story_C/2009+New+Handguns?packedargs=pagenum%3D5
two of those threads you posted , posted contradicting info. One state single action/double action. and the other states double action only, My bet it is double action only.

one states besides the glock style safety trigger an addtional safety on the 9mm, I can't see it and what looks like it could be a safety is probably the slide lock release. I do like the ambi mag release feature. alittle confusing but the price quote of around $300 for the standard TCP380 and $400 for the titanium version at msrp sounds about right. Sure will give Ruger and that other company some stiff competition IMO. I notice also they will be offering an extended round magazine even for the 9mm. really cool IMO.

More and more infor will be comingout this next week. but I think Taurus has a dual winner.

read more on the Model #709 ultra slim 9mm. no glock style safety trigger, no external safety, pull the trigger goes bang, long trigger pull priced MSRP $399 blued, $499 titanium version. extra capacity magazine will be available. Non dovetails sites, no indicationof nite site availability either.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kensteele said:
all i can say is buy up all your 380 ammo now before all these pocket guns hit the market. 380 ammo is already expensive and unavailable, might as well stock up now!

probably got that right..

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kensteele said:
all i can say is buy up all your 380 ammo now before all these pocket guns hit the market. 380 ammo is already expensive and unavailable, might as well stock up now!
same thing with wal-mart 9mm 100 pak of wwb ammo, can't find it either.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
fangus said:
i've been waiting 6 months to see the taurus 709 slim noyhing yet, they do have the 745 45cal but no 709 yet,just talk
I was under the impression they just introduced the 709 at the shot show??? Is that wrong or right???

·
Registered
220 Posts
just saw a photo of the revised and actual taurus709 on gunblast .com doesn't look like what originally was being offered but is interesting

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.