Ruger Pistol Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Back in the 80's we were trained to open the door and engage an armed suspect from the crack of the door, now Leo's are trained to engage from the drivers seat utilizing the front of the car for cover. Same goes for a side attack although car doors offer no cover just concealment.
My thoughts are if you can't retreat, engage from a distance, don't let a perp get close on you where his chances of missing are reduced. If fired upon the perp might decide to retreat himself.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Here is a video of one stage of an IDPA night match. I was soaking wet with a big thick half soaked jacket. We shot from our range Chevy pickup. My shooting was accurate but very slow. A really fun and safe night! Denny

·
Registered
65 Posts
There are some good videos about using a car as cover. Some by Paul Harrell. The basic theme is that only the engine block, head, and transmission, provide any protection.

The cars I own were bought before the world went to hell. The need for an urban assault vehicle was not a consideration. All bought based on sporting potential. Very light weight. I'm reasonably sure 90+% of the sheet metal is 24 gauge or thinner (.020 inch), and single layer in most places. Interior panels are either 3/32 inch thick ABS plastic or formed mdf pressed particle board with fabric glued on, in the ones that have not been stripped for track. I have plates on and drive the race cars on the street. I am also painfully aware that none of the panels or glass are available if anyhting needs to be replaced, and the insurance company will total the car out of a bird crap lands anywhere on it.
If I am in my vehicle and I am attacked, my line is as soon as glass breaks, my car is totaled, and I'm going to engage my attacker through the metal and glass of my vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
PA’s Castle Doctrine applies to being in a vehicle. If someone attempts to invade your vehicle you can use deadly force as long as you are inside the vehicle. So you can shoot a carjacker trying to get in because of fear of death or severe bodily injury. However, if you are outside the vehicle, you may not use deadly force because it cannot be used (in PA) to prevent loss of property. You have to be in danger of death, etc. So I am going to stay in my car if someone is coming for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
PA’s Castle Doctrine applies to being in a vehicle. If someone attempts to invade your vehicle you can use deadly force as long as you are inside the vehicle. So you can shoot a carjacker trying to get in because of fear of death or severe bodily injury. However, if you are outside the vehicle, you may not use deadly force because it cannot be used (in PA) to prevent loss of property. You have to be in danger of death, etc. So I am going to stay in my car if someone is coming for me.
Lived in PA for 30 yrs. NEVER get out of the car. If you get out of the car you are considered the "aggressor", and will be treated accordingly!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts