Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's easy for us to talk about how we carry our weapons in our vehicle and how easy our access is to our weapons. I hope everyone has practiced but that's not what this discussion is meant to be about.

Right now I am wondering what would make me shoot someone from inside my vehicle. Basic anger is different for all of us. Training has helped me control that. What would be a reason to shoot someone if we are in a perfectly good vehicle? Someone jumping on your hood? Yelling at you and banging on your window? If the window breaks can you run over his/her friend that is blocking your car? You find yourself surrounded by drunks and they are scaring your family? I have studied my state laws and it still would be a tough call. Any comments? Denny

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Re: Forum members talking about car carry. Why would you shoot from inside your vehic

Remember that Range Rover attacked by motor cycle gang in NY. Might have been a good use of a gun from your car.

I think one of the first use of a concealed carry license in my state of TX, was a car jacking in Houston. Luckily my state of TX has extended the castle doctrine to your car/vehicle. There are lots of guns in vehicles in TX and many are not conceal carry. Anyone can have one in the vehicle in TX as conceal carry license not needed here. One might be a little cautious about confronting vehicles in TX.

Shooting from rom a vehicle is much different and needs lots of practice and planning. There are some good videos with suggestions on YouTube.

As as long as I'm in my car and no one trying to smash windows I'm ok and not in fear for my life. Assuming they are not shooting at me. If you try to enter or smash windows then you are much more likely to be looking at the business end of my weapon. If I have a way or room to escape by driving off, that is my preferred choice. If no where to go, things change. I never get so close to a vehicle in front of me that I can't drive around them, and always leave room. Make sure you can see under the car in front of you when you stop and that generally leaves plenty of room to move if possible. And never get out of your vehicle, that's a good way to get shot as you can be perceived as an aggressor. Always be the first to call 911. Relax and de-escalate are good ideas as well.

·
Registered
606 Posts
how about if somebody rams your vehicle with their vehicle? as in trying to run you off the road or maybe rear ends you? with all the police shootings of people in cars trying to "run them down", I think that makes a good case for self defense, even though you are in your own car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had my window bashed in with a baseball bat during a road rage incident where my family was in the back of the car and the assailant used his car with family inside to block my escape route. This event was what caused me to consider carrying a gun on my person at all times. This is one situation where I would consider the use of a gun inside a car to be warranted.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have had my window bashed in with a baseball bat during a road rage incident where my family was in the back of the car and the assailant used his car with family inside to block my escape route. This event was what caused me to consider carrying a gun on my person at all times. This is one situation where I would consider the use of a gun inside a car to be warranted.
Dont bring a bat to a gun fight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dont bring a bat to a gun fight.
Unfortunately, I brought a knife to a gun fight, and ended up paying for it with some pretty painful glass cuts and having to do some creative driving to not hit his family while keeping mine safe by driving away with him still swinging at the car. Needless to say, next time I'm in that situation, I know I'll be willing to shoot from the car and take the risk of hearing damage in order to protect me and mine.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great conversation. When I was younger things were different. I had zero control of my anger and I had that "your not going to get away with that" attitude. That led to a fight where I was wrong and a high speed freeway chase. I was so mad! Now I find joy controlling my anger and couldn't care less what anyone thinks as I escape a situation. Still there is a time when we have to fight. We have trained a lot shooting from vehicles and it's even part of higher level IDPA matches. If I were boxed in with no escape the shooting would start as a last resort. Stress training helps me have a clear head for decision making and my weapons run with little thought.

BeardAndBulletGuy said he brought a knife to a gunfight and may use a gun next time. It sounds like you kept your cool and found safety without a weapon...well done!

There is another product that I may train with for vehicle self protection. Pepper gel. This isn't like spray that will fog and get in your own face, it is a gel that will stay on the threat. Just an idea right now. I know the good product has harmless training cans that shoot like the real thing for practice.
The problem is that we can't leave it in our hot vehicle in the summer months, it might blow up.

Keep the ideas coming...Den

Reactions: Instymp

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Unfortunately, I brought a knife to a gun fight, and ended up paying for it with some pretty painful glass cuts and having to do some creative driving to not hit his family while keeping mine safe by driving away with him still swinging at the car. Needless to say, next time I'm in that situation, I know I'll be willing to shoot from the car and take the risk of hearing damage in order to protect me and mine.
You did the right thing in getting yourself and your family out of harm's way with no one getting seriously hurt. Even if you had had a gun, better to find a way of escape from danger if you can. Shooting should be a last resort as Denny pointed out above if you're boxed in with no escape.

Reactions: Bgoff689

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
It's easy for us to talk about how we carry our weapons in our vehicle and how easy our access is to our weapons. I hope everyone has practiced but that's not what this discussion is meant to be about.

Right now I am wondering what would make me shoot someone from inside my vehicle. Basic anger is different for all of us. Training has helped me control that. What would be a reason to shoot someone if we are in a perfectly good vehicle? Someone jumping on your hood? Yelling at you and banging on your window? If the window breaks can you run over his/her friend that is blocking your car? You find yourself surrounded by drunks and they are scaring your family? I have studied my state laws and it still would be a tough call. Any comments? Denny
As you pointed out above, if I had a perfectly good car in running order and had a way of escape, I would take it. Circumstances that may make me draw and shoot: Attempted carjacking or robbery with no means of escape, disabled or blocked-in vehicle with imminent danger to me or other persons in my car. The aftermath and consequences of shooting someone or shooting at someone will have a profound impact on one's life and I want to avoid it if I possibly can. Would I do so if I felt that shooting was a last resort? Absolutely.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Denny, google "columbus tx bank robbers shot" and read the story. a situation where a gun in vehicle most likely saved several lives. I've carried a Hammerli Virginian SAA .357 for nearly 35 years in my pickup and just traded far a Ruger GP100.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I know of at least one incident around here where a drivers display of a gun "cooled" the guy with the bat. No shots. You can't count on it of course, if you pull the gun you have to be prepared to shoot, but my guess is most times it won't be necessary.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Car highjacking attempt is what's most common here in St Louis. These gang members will not only steal your car, but shoot you as well, to add more points to their reputation score.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If your anger gets the best of you, time may fly and all be wasted. Less than a year ago I managed to piss off some kid when I merged into traffic. I waved and later said sorry. That wasn't good enough. He forced his way in front of me and hit his brakes and later got beside me and tried to force me over. When he was in front of me I called 911 with his plate number and simply said he is trying to hurt me and when he was trying to push me over to fight I told him he doesn't want to mess with me and the cops were on the way. He drove off cussing and all. This was a kid that let his temper get away from him. I had my SR9c handy and in this episode I had plenty of escape routes if needed.
My main point of this discussion is how cool is your temper? Unless it is tested, how do we know what will happen? I hope when an issue comes up it won't be the time we learn how cool we are or God forbid how we totally loose it. Some have said (me included) that stress shooting/training, will change tunnel vision to a wide angle view of a situation. Den

·
Registered
401 Posts
^^^ Excellent point. Can everyone honestly say their brain will override their emotions in that type of situation. Good to at least mentally rehearse these types of encounters.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I think it would take a lot for me to shoot someone from my window, though if I did I'm sure I'd be okay legally out here...

My life would seriously have to be threatened, life or death... if my car was blocked in by a bunch a thugs I think I'd have to escape and evade away from the vehicle because that to me would be a make shift coffin....,then if I could make it out safely all is well, otherwise I'm going out in a blaze...

·
Registered
1 Posts

There is only one valid reason to shoot someone from your car that you forgot to mention. Self Defense from a carjacking. If someone jumps in your car, or breaks your window and opens the door, or if someone points a gun at you and demands you open your car door, and attempts to get in your car, or enters your car, in some states, that’s grounds for self defense to shoot and kill them. it’s the same as a home invasion. Once someone violently or forcefully enters your vehicle, in an attempt to cause serious harm to take your car, by law you do not have to wait and see what their intent is, at that moment you can defend yourself and shoot them, and if they die, your are well with in your rights to have used deadly force in order to preserve your own life and lives of the occupants in your vehicle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts