Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie here, so sorry if this has been asked repeatedly.

What is the best tool for takedown pin removal. I don't want to end up with the equivalent of an 'idiot scratch' on a 1911. I tried my thumbnail, but it didn't work.

G

·
There are earlier threads in which some folks can use the thumbnail, but I can't either. I've found a plastic fast-food knife works well.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
....for a buck you can get a screwdriver kit for eyeglasses repair...I picked up one with a small magnifying glass and all were in a plastic pouch 1-1/2" X 3". Add a couple of bore patches to place between the screwdriver and slide when inserting beneath the pin. Works quite well, completely consolidated and easily carried.

Tarheel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Use the rim of a cartridge case, .380 of course. It's always handy and being brass it shouldn't mark things up too much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried tonight with a plastic knife and a spoon. Both worked at first, but only once and left some debris behind. Seems like the small screwdriver protected will be the best option; maybe the staple puller?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I use a plastic fork, It also helps to push the slide back just about 1/4" when prying out the take down pin.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I use the smallest Swiss army pocket knife, the file/screw driver blade is highly polished on one side and does not hurt the slide at all. It has to be the most useful + compact tool for life in general I have ever seen!

·
Registered
21 Posts
bob1o said:
Use the rim of a cartridge case, .380 of course. It's always handy and being brass it shouldn't mark things up too much.
ditto that....

Drop Mag

remove round from chamber

Use that round to remove pin

done

1 - 9 of 9 Posts