Ruger Pistol Forums banner

Suppressors

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  gbmills 
#1 ·
Anyone on here have a commercially made suppressor? Looking into getting one or two and just wanted to see what the general concensus on how well they work and what types (wet/dry) I should look at.

And yes I know about the required paper work and the wait time. Looking mainly into a rimfire suppressor and then one for centerfire rifle. Thinking about a heavy barrel .22-250 that would probably love to have one.

#3 ·
Couple of suggestions, if you get a suppressor you should get one you can use in several calibers, like .223 suppressor for a .22 lr, The best company coming from a guy that hand makes them with the proper forms, i would say Advanced Armament Corp. They make the lowest Db suppressors with and without being wet! Proved already to be better than gemtech and opsprey!

#4 ·
Re: Re: Suppressors

So if I buy a centerfire suppressor for a .22-250 then that will also work on a rimfire. 22 as long as the thread size is the same? I just assumed the internals were too different to use interchangeably like that. That would be great though!

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk

#5 ·
....Patrick, I would be extremely careful with the tought of shooting a larger bullet and charge than the suppresor is designed to accomodate. Please do not assume anything regarding this issue. I would check and see/have in writing from the manufacturer the compatability of the suppressor with a round other than what is stamped on the unit. In some cases they will give a thumbs up to a smaller caliber, say .17, for a suppressor for a .22, as per engineer1. I have the Gemtec Outback II mounted on a P22 and am totally satisfied with its performance and quality construction.

This is the caution statement from Gemtech:
"Your Gemtech suppressor was designed, tested, and intended to be used with a specific caliber. That caliber is stamped on the suppressor and listed in your Technical Manual included with your suppressor. We do not warranty or authorize you to shoot any other caliber through that suppressor. Any use of your suppressor with ammunition other than the caliber it was intended for is AT YOUR OWN RISK. Use of other calibers may result in damage or destruction of the host weapon and/or suppressor as well as injury or death to the shooter and/or bystanders. Any repairs made necessary by use of unauthorized calibers will be invoiced to the owner.

Subcaliber usage is not encouraged, but smaller bullet size and lower chamber pressure may be acceptable. Larger bullet size than stamped on your model, or higher pressures are most certainly not encouraged and voids warranty."

However, Gemtech does approve using a 5.56mm (.223) for a .22lr rifle/pistol if threaded properly.

You'll have to do some research...the higher the caliber the larger the suppressor...diameter and length in most cases. Example: the Gemtech .223 suppressor is 1.5" diameter, while the .22lr is 1.0". I don't want a huge suppressor hanging off my P22....and I would have no hard sight picture whatsoever.

Also, +1 for Skip on a home made jobber...an accident waiting to happen.

JMHO

Tarheel

#6 ·
Not arguing with what is said above, do the research, silencertalk.com good site for info, and review from all products, yeah gemtech would be second on my list, allot of companies are offering different lids for different suppressor on different calibers, yeah putting a bigger caliber suppressor on a smaller caliber is going to lose efficiency, just paying a 200 dollar tax stamp on different caliber suppressor can get into a pretty expensive hobby!

#9 ·
One of my cans is for a .308/7.62mm - it makes it hearing safe. Mostly what you hear is the sonic boom/crack of the bullet. You can shot almost anything .30 caliber or smaller through it with varying degrees of efficiency.

A .223/5.56mm will make much more noise. The sonic boom/crack is worse because the bullet is traveling so much faster.

A .22-250 could be shot using a .308 can. You would have to question the manufacturer about the .22-250 through a .223 can.
I am not sure if it would be hearing safe.

Once you get into sub-sonic loads it all changes, but then you have to have a faster rifling twist rate to keep the bullet from wobbling and hitting a baffle.

Be aware that a .22LR is a dirty round and will eventually fill-up a non-take apart can with lead and soot.

30 caliber cans usually have 5/8"x24tpi
22 and 9mm cans use 1/2"x28 tpi, or even European Left hand threading.
A 9mm AR used 1/2"x36tpi

Don't rush in - do your research and ask questions.

A .22LR can is a good one to start with. They can be as quiet as a staple gun, cheap to shoot, and loads of fun.

Here is the .308/7.62:

#11 ·
I have 2 suppressed guns. One is a Ruger 10/22 the other is a Ruger Target Mark 111 pistol. Both are them are made on their barrels. I love both of them. They were fixed for me by John Norrell in Little Rock Arkansas. Just type in John Norrell to find him website. He does not answer his phone. Texing him is the only way to get in touch with him. It is all on him website. He does a great job. A friend of mine called him about 4 months ago. John sent him to another man that he makes his like John. John said he is backed up for over 1 year and is not taking anymore orders for a while. i just have to wait and see. John is one man shop and he does it like he is fixing it for himself. When I get home I can post some pictures of John work if you would like me to. A person can take Johns apart and clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.