Ruger Pistol Forums banner

Strike 2 with new LCP II

23K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  dher490 
#1 ·
Recently got a new LCP II and unfortunately it is on it's way back to Ruger for a second time. This issue I am having is that when you seat a magazine with the slide locked back, using the same or less force than is required for my LCP Custom or Glock 43, the top bullet in the magazine is rising up just enough that the round will not chamber. This causes a jam sufficient enough that the magazine will not release, and the slide cannot be manipulated to clear the round. The only way to clear the malfunction was to press down on the top bullet to force it to align on the feed ramp or reset in the magazine to chamber. I also had several double feeds as well. Ruger customer service was very friendly, paid to have the weapon FedEx to them and back. They said they didn't find anything wrong with the weapon and adjusted the magazine. I told them I was able to duplicate the malfunction with several magazines and 4 different types of ammo, so I was fairly sure I would have the issue(s) again. I got 12 rounds through the weapon before I had the same issues, in fact they got worse and one of the jams required two people to clear the weapon. The manual does say that it is "not necessary to slam the magazine" to get it to seat properly, but again I'm not using excessive force or anything that my LCP Custom can't handle. I know the LCP II is pretty much a complete redesign, but this should not be occurring. I have not read almost anything on multiple forums with people having a similar issue(s). My hunch is that there is something internal in the grip that is causing the magazine not seat correctly. Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
It's probably a production issue Ruger had or has, they will fix it.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Recently got a new LCP II and unfortunately it is on it's way back to Ruger for a second time"
Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the Ruger. Most of us have had to send back a gun at some point some more than others. Good part about it is that Ruger will stand behind the product. I had to have one sent back three times, the third time they just sent a new gun. It sucks, but just part of the game. I learned a long time ago to wait about a year after Production for the bugs to work out. Maybe this you Your lesson learned. Regardless, they will take care of ya. Good luck my friend.

Ps The last gun I had to send back was my LCR9mm. The blueing or whatever came off the cylinders. They re blued it and never had a problem since.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sorry to hear about the troubles on the new LCP.......I took a look at the new LCP II that a friend picked up and I gave him the best advice I could as an armorer.....GET RID OF IT!!!! The trigger is dangerous for pocket carry, which is the purpose of this weapon. Folks have been knocking the "long" trigger pull of the Generation 1 but I will keep my Generation 1 which goes bang every single time and has the built in safety of the long trigger pull, which would never even be noticed if the weapon ever had to be used for self-defense. My advice concerning self defense carry weapons, for what it's worth, is never trade up to a like or "improved" gun when the one you have always goes BANG.

#6 · (Edited)
I had a similar issue with the Glock 42 when it first came out. I got tired of the "we can't duplicate the problem", so I used my cell phone and made video clips of the gun malfunctioning. I emailed the clips to customer service, and that was the end of the discussion. May I humbly suggest that to you?

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
This makes me appreciate my LCP Custom that much more. Just sold my original 5 year old LCP with Lasermax and was considering buying the LCP II because I really like the idea of the slide locking back like ALL of my other guns. But I'm really happy with the Custom and in training I almost always know when I've shot my 7 rounds without consciously thinking about it. Maybe I'll upgrade after a couple of years of production.

#11 ·
When I seat a magazine using absolutely minimal force I have got the malfunction once, however, I have got multiple double feeds with a softer seating of the mag. I'm not sure if those are linked, since I got double feeds with a "harder" seating of the mag as well as a minimum force seating. Bottom line: I don't want to carry a weapon where I am concerned about the amount of force I may need to use in a rapid reload situation. I try to build muscle memory during rapid reload training for all of my carry guns, and I think it would be negative training to spend the extra few ticks of the clock thinking about what gun I have while determining what force to use seating the mag. I'm not trying to deliberately force a malfunction to determine the limits of the weapon. I have also found that when I try a mag change with minimal force, sometimes the mag will not seat which is a no go as well. If the malfunction occurs after they return the weapon this time, I will take some video to demonstrate what is occurring.

#12 ·
I realize the last shot lock open was a big issue with some but what does it do with slide closed? I'm trying to remember if I ever loaded my old LCP with slide open but I doubt it, with the slide closed the mag clicks when it's in place does the new one do this?

#13 ·
Welcome to the forum Nukes! Bummer you are having problems. More and more I believe we should shoot a video and download it to a thumb drive and send it with the weapon for repair.
I am in the auto repair industry and many times what is written as a complaint on the repair order is not the Client's complaint. Whatever it takes...make sure your complaint is understood.
Just for drill I locked open the slide on my LCP Custom (second time) and slammed a full magazine home about how I would under stress. I train/practice under stress regularly. I performed this action 5 times. One time the slide released and chambered a round and all the others the top round stayed put. Den

#14 ·
I took out my LCP Custom today and loaded magazines with the slide locked open (simulating the LCP II slide lock after last round). And wouldn't you know it, same issue I am having with my LCP II. If the slide is closed I have no issues at all, and the rounds chamber fine. Makes me think that Ruger may not have done enough testing of LCP II magazine loading with the slide open, since the slide lock back feature was not available with the original LCPs or the Custom. For all of my handguns with slide locked back after the last round is fired, I load the next magazine before racking the slide or hitting the slide release. I hope that the LCP II does not require releasing the slide forward prior to reload reliably chamber the first round. Again, I'm not trying to force a malfunction, but I think there may be an issue they need to tweak for magazine seating and alignment with the slide open.

#15 ·
For all of my handguns with slide locked back after the last round is fired, I load the next magazine before racking the slide or hitting the slide release.
Ruger LCPs do not have a "slide release". They have a "hold open" but it is not designed to be a slide release. They specify racking the slide as the method to allow the slide to move to the forward position if it's been locked back.

#16 ·
Thanks Skip. I should have been more specific, I use the slide release for my Glocks, but not the Rugers. The issue I am having is that when I load the magazine into the LCP II (or even testing it with the Custom) with the slide open, it jams the slide completely. My hunch that with the slide closed and the chamber covered it will not allow that top bullet to pop up at all. With the slide open it can pop up just enough to not chamber and prevent the slide from moving.

#17 ·
The issue I am having is that when I load the magazine into the LCP II (or even testing it with the Custom) with the slide open, it jams the slide completely.
If you have the same problem with both weapons and I can't replicate your problem with my Custom, you may be slamming the mag. too hard. I would like to see a video. Den

#19 ·
No they do no have the same frame. The LCP II is a pretty good redesign of the LCP. After more troubleshooting I'm pretty sure the issue revolves around loading a magazine with the slide open. Again, w/ an original LCP or the LCP custom you would likely never do this because it does not have a slide lock feature after the last round is fired. The covered chamber when the slide is closed prevents the top bullet in the magazine from being displaced enough (or maybe at all) to affect the chambering of the round. With the slide open the top bullet can move when the magazine hits the stop that is causes a jam. I'm being very diligent in the amount of force used to seat the magazine. With my LCP custom if I use less force the magazine will not seat. The LCP II does not require the same amount of force the LCP custom does to seat a magazine, but the top bullet should not move regardless of the position of the slide. When I have a chance I will post a video.

#23 ·
Dave the feed lips on your mag. may be bent. I can't get my top round to lift up like yours. My feed lips measure .325 wide from front to back. My cartridge measures .368 in the area that touches the feed lips. My top round won't pop up like yours appears to in the photo. Den

#26 ·
Petergunn I think you are right holding off on this one. And Dave Ruger should fix this problem for you. What is the use having a slide that holds open on the last round if you can't reload? Dave if you can't measure your mag feed lips, unload your mag and slide a round with the primer pointing down and have the extractor grove of the round slide down the feed lips. I have the same ammo as you and the round has no wiggle room from the front to the back of the mag feed lips. The lips should be parallel. Den

#27 · (Edited)
Got the LCP II back from Ruger today. They replaced the grip frame, hammer latch, hammer latch spring, and magazine latch. They repaired the barrel. They also tested fired 18 rounds of Black Hills 100GR FMJ, 18 rounds of Fed American Eagle 95GR FMJ, and 18 rounds of Fiochi 95GR FMJ with no malfunctions. I tested it out with snap caps and magazine loading and seating seems to be functioning normally. Hopefully I will get to the range tomorrow and get a full function check in.

#28 ·
Got the LCP II back from Ruger today. They replaced the grip frame, hammer latch, hammer latch spring, and magazine latch. They repaired the barrel. They also tested fired 18 rounds of Black Hills 100GR FMJ, 18 rounds of Fed American Eagle 95GR FMJ, and 18 rounds of Fiochi 95GR FMJ with no malfunctions. I tested it out with snap caps and magazine loading and seating seems to be functionally normally. Hopefully I will get to the range tomorrow and get a full function check in.
Don't forget to post up when you're done!

#29 ·
Well took the weapon to the range today. At first I used American Eagle ammo from Federal, and had 3 failures to eject with 50 rounds. Talked to Ruger and they asked me to try a different ammo. (They put about 70 rounds of different ammo through the weapon with no issues). I picked up a box of Winchester White Box and it ripped through that box with no issues. It also went through some Federal Premium with no issues at all. No issues getting the magazine to seat properly or jams caused by misfeeds. I did tighten my grip when using the Winchester ammo, to make sure all the energy from firing the weapon was being directed to properly cycle the rounds. At this point I'm confident enough in the weapon to carry it, but will be putting more rounds down range soon to double check all is well.

#30 ·
I had 3 or 4 FTFs in my new LCP II and decided to just sell it. When that kind of thing happens right off the bat, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I noticed a few odd things with mine...when I first got it, the magazine would not go in more than about half way. After many attempts, it finally went in. Also, it jammed up a couple times at home when I was just chambering a round. Finally, I noticed my recoil springs were both bent after the first range trip. I don't know; seems a bit buggy to me. Anyway, hope you have better luck!

#31 ·
2 days ago when I went to the range I used 7 older mags, (not the new Lcp II mags that has the last round slide hold open). I was really wanting to see if the older mags. would cause any problems of which they did not. Reading your posts above I think I need to check the newer Lcp II mags. If the slide is open with a full mag. inserted I always use my hand to rack the slide into full battery. I want to try using the slide release to see if I have good results. I always believed in racking the slide with authority using your hand instead of using the slide release.

#32 ·
I purchased a lcp2 December of 15 and have run 75 rounds of freedom 100 grain reman and about 25 rounds of HTP self defense hollow points using a mix of lcp, lcp 2, and promags magazines. I have not forced the mags in I just pushed until there was a audible click. Sounds like ammo and weapon are contributing to the malfunctions. I hope those lcp2 with issues get worked out good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#33 ·
I purchased a lcp2 December of 15 and have run 75 rounds of freedom 100 grain reman and about 25 rounds of HTP self defense hollow points using a mix of lcp, lcp 2, and promags magazines. I have not forced the mags in I just pushed until there was a audible click. Sounds like ammo and weapon are contributing to the malfunctions. I hope those lcp2 with issues get worked out good luck.
The LCP II was first announced in about October 2016. Are you referring to the LCP "Gen 2"? There's a huge difference.

#34 ·
Thanks, SkipD--was about to ask same question

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.