Ruger Pistol Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have an LCP as well as other handguns. I've had failure to eject, which leads to the next bullet being loaded right into the failed to eject bullet. Is this a stovepipe? Winchester white box and Corbin work best for me.
Yes, that is a stovepipe. I sent my LCP back to Ruger & they replaced the extractor. No problems since. (knocking on wood)

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
I have an LCP as well as other handguns. I've had failure to eject, which leads to the next bullet being loaded right into the failed to eject bullet. Is this a stovepipe? Winchester white box and Corbin work best for me.
Yes, that is a stovepipe. I sent my LCP back to Ruger & they replaced the extractor. No problems since. (knocking on wood)
I get the impression that Longeford actually had a failure to extract and not a failure to eject. They are very different but many newbies to pistols don't understand the difference.

A "stovepipe" jam has the just-fired cartridge case trapped sideways between the slide and barrel with the open end of the cartridge case sticking up like a stove pipe. There's usually no way that a second cartridge can be jammed into it.

Longeford - a "bullet" is simply the projectile that is fired through a barrel. A loaded cartridge contains a bullet (along with powder and a primer) but the assembled cartridge is not called a "bullet".

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I get the impression that Longeford actually had a failure to extract and not a failure to eject. They are very different but many newbies to pistols don't understand the difference.

A "stovepipe" jam has the just-fired cartridge case trapped sideways between the slide and barrel with the open end of the cartridge case sticking up like a stove pipe. There's usually no way that a second cartridge can be jammed into it.

Longeford - a "bullet" is simply the projectile that is fired through a barrel. A loaded cartridge contains a bullet (along with powder and a primer) but the assembled cartridge is not called a "bullet".
Stovepipes can also be live rounds trapped after firing. Usually a mag issue. I've experienced this on two pistols, usually tossing the live round completely out. Not splitting hairs, just mentioning that it can happen.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Stovepipes can also be live rounds trapped after firing. Usually a mag issue. I've experienced this on two pistols, usually tossing the live round completely out. Not splitting hairs, just mentioning that it can happen.
That's interesting. I've never seen that happen but obviously it can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new here and joined for advice on this exact problem. I had 3 malfunctions in the first 30 rounds through my LCP. Was using Winchester 95 grain FMJ target loads. Switched to Hornady Custom 90 grain XTP's and it cycled the box of 25 perfectly. At $22 per 25 I hardly want to put 500 rounds of this ammo through the gun to get that warm fuzzy feeling prior to carrying. Used to carrying an HK USP 40 that will cycle anything, so this is a new problem for me. Based on this thread I guess I'll shelve the Winchester and try something else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problems with Winchester white box but they cycle flawlessly thru my wife's lcp. My local gunshop owner told me that winchesters are loaded light and I have also heard of inconsistent loads in a box. So I'm guessing you are having the same problem as me. I bought a box of independence brand and have had no failures so far and they are close to the same price so check around for different brands. I know it is frustrating I've been pulling my hair out over it haha

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
WWB has a slightly smaller cartridge lip than most brands, thus pushing perfect extractor alignment/grip to the limit. It's been reported often in the old elsiepea forum. Most members resolved the issue by simply switching brands...and ditto Hobbyho on WWB manufacturing consistency...I've heard that a lot as well.

Tarheel

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have a pretty big stack of WWBoxes .380. By far my most used practice ammo. I've been really fortunate. 1000s w/o a problem. Hate to see others dealing with finicky guns.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm back, just forgot about this thread. Thanks for correcting my terminology. I am a newbie and trying to learn the terminology. I do know the difference between "clip" and "magazine" so I am moving forward. Thanks! Received some "bullets" not "cartridges" mistakenly from Natchess the other day. Since I don't reload and they won't take them back does anyone need 200 .38/.357 bullets? 110GR JHP?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine had a few failures when new. The lcp wouldn't eject some hollowpoints. I polished the feed ramp with some fine emery cloth on a small dowel, then with some metal polish. Now it feeds everything I put through it. I settled on critical defense for carry.
Same here. My lc380 hates hollows.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts