Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new SR9c so of course I have been online watching utube vids on cleaning the SR9c. I found video comments in a couple places where people stated their gunsmith instructed them not to clean the factory packing grease out of the SR9c until after a few hundred rounds. The factory grease apparently helps the break in period occur as intended. Others say they clean everything before a round is ever fired. My plan is to take my SR9c to a range and feed it 4 boxes of different brands of ammo to break it in and see what it likes.

Should I do a major cleaning before or wait until after? Are there any experts on this forum who can answer this?

Thanks - Mark

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
The wet stuff applied by the factory is intended to be much more of a rust preventive material than a lubricant.

You should thoroughly wipe off the factory stuff and do a proper lubrication with a good gun lube. These days, I use Slip 2000 for all my firearms.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Clean it before the first outing. That factory stuff will gum it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did a quick cleaning before I went to the ranger and it ran like a Swiss Watch. Put 200 rds down range today no issues.

·
Super Moderator
4,605 Posts
When I got my new Springfield Mod.2 .45 sub compact the first thing I did was break it down clean it, oil it and then checked it out, dry fired it to get use to it. I went to the on Saturday and shot 150 rounds of Tula ammo through it with no issues. Got it home, broke it down again to clean it and oiled it. This is what I do to every new gun I get. Now my Elsie has a BIG brother. :thumbup:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I bought my Ruger SR40C and went right to a beginners class. They offered to inspect the firearm before we went to the range. Good thing they did it had all the factory junk all over it. So they showed me how to clean and oil it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts