Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my next pistol purchase will be some type of 1911.
What's your experience with the SR1911?
Is it considered an entry level 1911 or more of a premium pistol.
I shot a Kimber .45 and loved the feel of the ergos and the trigger
was sweet. The recoil felt milder than when I shot a Glock 21 but
I think it's heavier than the Glock.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
RIA or any of the other Philippine brand 1911's would be "entry level".
Ruger's SR1911 would be mid-grade - cheaper than a Kimber Custom II but comparable.
Springfield Loaded and Colt Gold Cups would be high grade.
Les Baer and Ed Brown would be premium.
I've had the Ruger SR 1911 since the first week they came out and have over 20,000 rounds thru it without a hitch. I can highly recommend it as a great 1911 for any shooter.
Recoil on any 1911 is what I consider to be "soft". They are my favorite of all handguns. Probably why I own a dozen of them. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had the same issue but dont go spending the money like I did :greedy_dollars:- I went with ruger first ( great 1911 ) then traded in for a RIA ( Nice looking but there is better ), then traded for a kimber ( loved the kimber ), Then ended with Springfield ( In my opinion the Springfield gave me more options and better design plus more mags and upgrades. )

Key point- Can't go wrong with a 1911 :tennis:

Reactions: VicDog

·
Registered
142 Posts
Even though the SR1911 is my first 1911, I don't consider it as entry level quality. The only entry-level characteristic is the price compared to some of the competition.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts

Shop around and be a bit picky. I’ve got 3 1911 45’s in the collection. I picked up a Ruger SR-1911 for $549.00. It’s well made and for the price a good deal. It would be a great starting pistol.

Back when I retired in 2012, I finally got tired of just wanting a Kimber Custom Shop Super Carry Pro and bought one for $1,328.93. Then I found a great deal on a Spanish Import, a LLAMA Minimax for $267.50. I've done a range trip with both of these and the Kimber rocks. The LLAMA is part of the "Curio" side of the house. Solid made and a good shooter but it's a Safe Queen now.

Colt decided to do a joint venture with Walther and the result was a Colt U.S. Government 1911, in 22LR. Not a .45 ACP but none the less a keeper.

Several of the local shops have put out some really nice old Colt 1911s but unfortunately I just put two checks out in the mail for Federal and State Taxes. So until next month, I’m going to have to adhere to some budgeting.

Reactions: VicDog

·
Registered
61 Posts

Shop around and be a bit picky. I’ve got 3 1911 45’s in the collection. I picked up a Ruger SR-1911 for $549.00. It’s well made and for the price a good deal. It would be a great starting pistol.

Back when I retired in 2012, I finally got tired of just wanting a Kimber Custom Shop Super Carry Pro and bought one for $1,328.93. Then I found a great deal on a Spanish Import, a LLAMA Minimax for $267.50. I've done a range trip with both of these and the Kimber rocks. The LLAMA is part of the "Curio" side of the house. Solid made and a good shooter but it's a Safe Queen now.

Colt decided to do a joint venture with Walther and the result was a Colt U.S. Government 1911, in 22LR. Not a .45 ACP but none the less a keeper.

Several of the local shops have put out some really nice old Colt 1911s but unfortunately I just put two checks out in the mail for Federal and State Taxes. So until next month, I’m going to have to adhere to some budgeting.

Nice collection! I envy you lol and very good points...

·
Registered
3 Posts
My next 1911 will more than likely be a Ruger CMD. To my way of thinking, the Ruger comes with the same "extras" that I paid to have done to my original Colt LW Commander: lowered ejection port, Novak sights, extended safety, etc. The biggest plus for me as a carry gun is that it's made of stainless steel, so I won't have to send it to Robar for NP3 finish. (Can't carry a blued gun because my sweat eats right thru it . . .). So, as already stated, the only "entry-level" thing about it to me is the price.

·
Registered
606 Posts
RIA or any of the other Philippine brand 1911's would be "entry level".
Ruger's SR1911 would be mid-grade - cheaper than a Kimber Custom II but comparable.
Springfield Loaded and Colt Gold Cups would be high grade.
Les Baer and Ed Brown would be premium.
I've had the Ruger SR 1911 since the first week they came out and have over 20,000 rounds thru it without a hitch. I can highly recommend it as a great 1911 for any shooter.
Recoil on any 1911 is what I consider to be "soft". They are my favorite of all handguns. Probably why I own a dozen of them. :)
Dagnabit... This will not influence me at all...

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with a SR1911. I love mine as much, and in some cases more than some that cost more. Go get it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love the look of the Ruger SR1911. I have either it or the CMD model on my wish list. Can't beat the price for what you get.

·
Registered
142 Posts
SR1911 is my first 1911 and I'm quite pleased with it. Not the plan, but I will be content if it turns out to be my only 1911.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My first was also a SR1911 and I love it. I've fired many since that purchase and still would never sell my SR. I recently purchased a Kimber ultra carry II and as much as I like it I'd give it up for the SR if I could only have 1.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I own a Kimber STS and sold an Eclipse Pro a couple years ago. also have owned three Springfields over the years. recently ran into an SR1911CMD for 629 obama bucks and couldn't resist. took around 300 rounds and second good cleaning to break in, but now it is in the "carry" category. the Ruger is tighter and about 40% less expensive than the other five pistols. I think it is a hell of a deal. I would not be afraid unless you shoot with gun snobs

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Sure love mine . Got about 1200 downpipe with zero hickups . It is by far the dirtiest gun I own...but love it totally. I get groups of 2-3 " at 10 yards

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have owned a number of 1911's over the years. I no longer own a 1911, but am "thinking" about fix'n that problem.

I have to believe that one of the Rugers would be a great example to get.

Just my not so humble opinion :excitement:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had one and could never really warm up to it truth be told. I've owned at least 7 or 8 full size 1911's in my time and I bought a brand new Ruger SR1911. It shot well after the first couple of magazines were run through it (failed to fully go into battery a few times) and was okay..I found the trigger somewhat creepy and rough but I'm pretty sure the roughness would have smoothed out with more range sessions.However I was very unhappy at the front sight blade departing the gun with less than 3 boxes through it. Now this was around two years ago and they probably have fixed that MIM sight issue by now but it still bugged me. Long story short when I got it back from Ruger I traded it at my favorite LGS for a Springfield Armory range officer and have been 100% happy with the RA pistol. This is just my personnel experience with the SR1911 YMMV...

·
Registered
36 Posts
bought the CMD about one month ago and am impressed. 40% less than my Kimbers and as reliable/accurate. another dollar for dollar good buy from Ruger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm new to the forum, but I do have a Ruger sr1911 and really enjoy it! It's a really good 1911 in that it's got what you want in a 1911 without being custom and over $1000. I bought mine for $600 and really enjoy it. I've put about 500 rounds through it and haven't had problems myself...some family members and friends have limp wrist-ed it and gotten it to fail to feed, and fail to eject but it's been perfect for me. It's also a very good looking gun; I get compliments all the time on it. I'll post some pictures I've taken of mine, and you'll see. It'd say its a mid level 1911. Kimber from what I've heard is hit and miss, they have some that are flawless, and other's that are a little troublesome, but I don't have any personal experience and if you liked the Kimber you shot, I'd say rent the sr1911 and see how it compares to the Kimber. Springfield Armory also makes some great entry to higher end 1911s that are pretty well priced. Basic line, you can't go wrong with a 1911...they're just awesome. Hope I helped.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts