Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They mostly confirm what I already knew, the LCP MAX is a home-run for the 380 micro-carry category. The last reviewer considered it as revolutionary as the Sig P365 (I own both so that was a particularly interesting article to me) and I pretty much agree.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fresh discussion?

OK for anything LCP Max related?

...like rust? (I would've commented on the several year old threads that discuss the issue of rust in various LCP's, but they're so old, and generally deal with earlier models ...and the issue of rust on the Max, is, well, as new as it is.)

Like the OP, I too think the Max is a game changer (for .380's).

With 12+1 and an extra mag-in-the-pocket, you can easily IWB-plus-mag pocket carry 25 rounds of reasonable defensive firearm.

In a form factor that is summer-shorts-and-t-shirts friendly. (Let's just ignore the the .380-as-acceptable-for-EDC argument, eh.)

I was almost ready to buy an LCP II when I saw the reviews of the Max in mid-July. I bought one (and still do not regret the decision) as soon as I saw one at the local SW.

Again. No regrets.

But.

I just spent an interesting couple of hours cleaning rust off the thing. Including in the barrel. And another hour on the webz (which led me here).

Rust issues? On an essentially unused firearm (I still haven't fired it: don't ask)?

Yeah. There's light rust (including some spots in the barrel). I live in a high-desert, non-humid geographic location with central heating. The gun is dry, and has always been dry. (New leather holster, and it's always been dry too.)

Looking around the web, I see rusting is a known Ruger problem, and has been for years.

Note: For those of you thinking - and yeah, I've seen this argument made - "heck, it's a cheap non-heirloom gun, and whaddaya expect for $400+" ...well, I kind'a specialize in cheap guns. My 2-year old SCCY's haven't rusted ...the CPX3 has definitely been wiped down wet from a soaked leather holster a few times lol). My 2 year old RIA revolver hasn't rusted. My GS2 hasn't rusted. My Charter Arms revolvers are still shiny. And my tiny not-quite-1-year-old Beretta .32 is still spiffy and rustless. (Heck, the only cheapie I don't own is a Hi-Point ...and their carbine is on my list LOL.) So any such observations as "defense of shoddy Ruger workmanship" is beside the point.

Here's the deal. Would I buy the Max again knowing the things are rust-prone? Yeah. Probably. It is what it is, and I was in the market in July for a tiny-ish pocket carry (and specifically looking for a deal on an LCP II). And the reviews on the Max viz. accuracy, recoil, and number of rounds are all still sound (regardless of Ruger's still crappy factory finish practices). So yeah. I'm 98% sure I would've sprung for one even knowing there "might be" rust issues.

But I'm a noob', and I didn't know about the rust issue. I kind'a thought Ruger was an "up-brand" considering my typical budget LOL.

So. My bad: I should'a done more homework. "Live and learn" lol.

But my admittedly limited experience with inexpensive firearms just hadn't included rust as an issue.

So. I wasn't happy dealing with it this afternoon (prior to coming here, joining Reddit, and commenting).

Rust isn't great.

Frankly, I shouldn't have to deal with it.

And rust in the barrel sucks.

I'm glad I noticed it. Before, you know, pitting and whatever. (I'm a gun noob', I'm not a metals noob'.)

So while I will still recommend a Max to someone with similar carry needs ...I'm not going to ignore mentioning "rust" to them, either.

And as soon as someone else comes out with a double-stack micro-.380 in the $400 range, I'll be paying close attention.

But I just scrubbed Ruger from my consideration list for future purchases.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

...there's plenty of fishes in this pond.

Just sayin'.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bummer, I'm an oil-the-heck-out-of-it person, including covering the barrel in oil, no rust for me after 5ish months of ownership and lots of rounds in a warm humid environment. But good to know. I'll continue the lavish oiling.

·
Registered
385 Posts
First I've ever heard about a rust problem. I have 2 old ones. They've lost me with the model numbers but #1 is the original when it 1st came out, 2008, and #2 is the 1st improved model whatever it was, gen 2 or something. I pocket carry so i guess it's a little humid in there. And i am hardly fanatic with cleaning and oiling. Never saw any rust, never heard about it. Come to think of it #1 fell under ocean water once years ago too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts