Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a link to TacDaddy shooting the RUGER LCP. One misfeed clearly seen during the firing of the second magazine. Nice clean and clear, if I say so myself.... has this happened to anyone else?

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Here is a link to TacDaddy shooting the RUGER LCP. One misfeed clearly seen during the firing of the second magazine. Nice clean and clear, if I say so myself.... has this happened to anyone else?
Did you examine the pistol to discover what had happened? At the range, that would have been a very good thing to do instead of simply cycling the slide and continuing shooting. Troubleshooting and resolving problems can help to prevent future similar problems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was practicing cycling through 2 mags ASAP.... shooting Remington ammo, about 100-150 rounds into the gun, still in the break in period in my opinion. We did examine the cartridge in question and founds a small indentation on the side of the round. How would you suggest I further troubleshoot? I have not had any similar issues with this gun since, and just happened to get this misfeed on tape! Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
I was practicing cycling through 2 mags ASAP.... shooting Remington ammo, about 100-150 rounds into the gun, still in the break in period in my opinion. We did examine the cartridge in question and founds a small indentation on the side of the round. How would you suggest I further troubleshoot? I have not had any similar issues with this gun since, and just happened to get this misfeed on tape! Thanks for the input!
I would have stopped shooting and examined the jam to discover precisely what had happened.

You can practice problem-recovery drills any time. Just have someone load a magazine with a "snap-cap" round in a location unknown to you. However, it's far more important to figure out why a real jam occurred than to simply do the drill and get past it.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
OK Skip -"I would have stopped shooting and examined the jam to discover precisely what had happened."

What would you have examined to discover precisely what had happened?
I would have been trying to find if there was a failure to extract or eject the previously fired cartridge case. If neither of those occurred (that would be obvious if the empty case is not in the pistol and is where the rest of the fired cases get tossed), then I'd be looking for/at the cartridge that was supposed to be fed into the chamber. Where it is located is critically important to understanding what could be wrong. The position of the slide during the jam can also tell me a lot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was either: misfeed, stovepipe
bad round, pin mark shown but no fire,
or????? right? what am I missing here? Thanks again for the input, I guess posting vids is a good way to start a discussion?!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Ya know, sometimes a failure to feed just happens. I've seen it happen on my LCP a couple times before, and it's happened numerous times on the 22 Walther pistol we shoot. It's the nature of the beast. Unless it keeps jamming, just clear the jam and keep going. Sometimes, if the round fails to seat, and it's clearly not a double feed, striking the back of the pistol with the palm of your hand can motivate the round into getting into the chamber. I've become so proficient at this technique when shooting my wife's finicky Walther P22 that I don't even notice I'm doing it anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts