Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, just to give a little history, my LC9 functions almost flawlessly. I have no serious complaints. I have shot well over a thousand trouble free rounds with the gun. However, whenever I shoot that cheap Sellier and Bellot ammunition, the brass coating on the primers always finds its way into the firing pin channel and what I end up with are failure to fire issues because the firing pin cannot get passed the lodged brass material. I've experimented with this issue quite a bit. After I dig out the primer material, I shoot a brand without that coating of brass on the primers without issue. I can shoot every brand of ammunition out there without a problem - except S&B. Now, I'd rather not shoot it, but if it just so happened to be all that was available, I'd rather not have to put the LC9 away.

So, I sent an inquiry to Ruger to see what they recommend. I considered chamferring the hole a little bit to make it just a tick wider so that foreign material would not stop the gun. Of course, Ruger sent me back their canned response saying they'd want me to ship it to them so they could look at it and determine the cause of the failure, necessary actions, yadda yadda yadda. My only concern is that I'll send this gun go Ruger and they will shoot high quality American ammo through it and experience the same 100% reliability I do with every brand other than S&B. Then I will get it back with or without a letter saying nothing's wrong, go to shoot S&B through it, and watch the gun stop up after just a few rounds through the pipe.

Who here has chamferred that hole, and do you recommend it for me? Or should I get involved in the process of watching my gun go back and forth to Ruger a few times to see if there is something they can do for me?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I did not have the firing pin hole problem with S&B's, just terrible failure to fire and failure to eject problems. I will not use S&B 9mm again. The pin strikes the primer but no ignition, re-inserted in mag and fired a second time and they did fire, but would still not eject properly.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, extraction and light primer strikes definitely aren't my problem. The problem is with S&B, I get no primer strikes since all that extra metal finds its way into that hole. It really sucks when you are showing off the gun to an interested person and it stops its butt cold without even getting off an entire magazine. It's a real foot-in-mouth moment, especially after you've been raving about how reliable the gun is and how you'd bet your life on it any day. Then bang, bang, bang, click... rack, click... oh dang it! True story.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
James I believe this is a common problem and Ruger has a fix for it. Maybe call Ruger a few times and someone may let the cat out of the bag and you can perform the mod yourself. I saw there were a couple of youtubes that showed how to take the pin out but I didn't watch them. They may mention a trick for the problem you have. Good luck. Den

·
Registered
44 Posts
Over the years I've had a few automatics that were picky about the brand of ammo that was shot through them. I just avoided those brands. If it were me I would avoid S&B ammo and would probably send them email explaining your reasons for no longer supporting their product.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I quit shooting S&B a long time ago because of the same problems as mentioned. Gave it plenty of chances in different weapons, but I just don't fool with it anymore!8)

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only time that really bit me in the butt was when I went to an indoor range in Portland, OR called "The Place to Shoot." I had purchased 200 rounds of American Eagle for the occasion, but found out they only let you shoot the range ammunition they provide; and all they had was S&B 115gr FMJ. SUCK! Didn't get much trigger time with the LC9 that evening.

And I'm sure the hotel staff loved me for cleaning my gun in the hotel room.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Both the SR9 and SR9c eat it all day long too. Only the LC9 is the issue.
Guess it's just the restricted diet for the LC9 then. Dunno...maybe it would be time for a trip to Prescott. Not like you don't have anything around to tide you over there Deadbolt.;D

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'd probably tear into myself, if I felt I needed to stick with the one cheap ammo that makes it jamb, and certainly if it were my favorite carry round.
I guess I'd ask if its worth the time and effort, just to be satisfied it will run on S&B, or just buy another brand and move on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts