Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm a nubie, and not just because it says so over on the left. I can't seem to find a forum area that fits my question, and so here we are in the General Discussion.

There are times that I take trips with my family that Elsie simply can't come along on. I have a case that I leave her in that is locked and placed in a darker corner of the house that in the event of a break-in wouldn't (hopefully) attract much attention. That said, I'm still uneasy about leaving her around without a babysitter. I'd like to be able to render her completely inoperable if I have to leave her alone. I would hate for her to be taken, but I'd hate it much worse if she were used to hurt innocent people. Any lock can be removed with the right tools and enough time...

My father has a Beretta Tomcat that he's had for years, and his favorite feature is the ability to remove the firing pin (that's what he says, and I don't have the expertise to confirm or deny. If he's misrepresenting the situation, don't hate me for it, and know that I'm not going to correct him...). As for me, I've considered simply removing the barrel and storing it separately, but somehow feel that that's not enough.

Am I over thinking this? Or is there a way to easily and quickly render the weapon completely useless that can be just as easily and quickly reversed? I'm somewhat of the mindframe that if I could remove the firing pin, I could tuck it into my toiletries bag when I travel...? TSA would likely get grumpy is I traveled with a barrel, but I doubt they would even see the firing pin in a scan?

Ok, I'm done. Wisdom and Experience, it's your turn. GO!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Lad welcome to the forum from Georgia. Glad you are with us. The firing pin in the LCP is not that easy to remove. Plus the odds are good you may lose it if you were able to remove it. There are a lot of safe places to hide a gun. I have several guns hidden in strategic places throughout my house. Just recently there was a thread here on how to hide a gun inside a book. Of course there are no small kids wondering around my house...that is something to consider.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A simple lockable ammo box, bolted to the floor or wall, will prove too much for most burglers. If it's in the garage, make sure the head for the cutting torch is in it too.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Coffee is ready, I walked to the kitchen and thought of 25+ places you could hide elsie. Maybe you could remove the worry from your life. For that you could look up worry in the back of your Bible and in 10 minutes you could be free. My 50cent. Den

PS welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well you could use the lock that came with your LCP or if your that worried take the barrel itself out and hide it else where.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Welcome Scruffy. Bro, IMO you are way over thinking this. Sounds like you are going to give yourself a heart attack over it. Your own idea sounds fine about removing the barrel and just storing it somewhere else if you feel you need to do that. But DO NOT take it on a plane. I think you are nuts to do that in this climate.

If there are any TSA on the forum what is their input on that?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have to agree on the over thinking as well. There is productive worry, and beyond that it just becomes intrusive and a drain on the quality of life.
Not to add to your dilemma, but they can steal any number of household items, your car, what ever and cause harm, too. It sounds like you've taken above and beyond precautions.
Trusted friend? Bank safe deposit box?
Hope you can relax and have a good trip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
RET.UMOS said:
Welcome Scruffy. Bro, IMO you are way over thinking this. Sounds like you are going to give yourself a heart attack over it. Your own idea sounds fine about removing the barrel and just storing it somewhere else if you feel you need to do that. But DO NOT take it on a plane. I think you are nuts to do that in this climate.

Considering the barrel is an easily identifiable component of a firearm, I would recommend against it.
'
My closet has a reinforced frame and a steel door with a lockable handle and dead bolt. The corner of the closet has a wood door with reinforced hinge and a quick-combo padlock. These guns are "quick access" guns I would need in an emergency. There are mags and ammo in there for those firearms. It houses a Mossberg 590, DD AR-15, AKM, Sig SP2022, and Sig P225, along with my LCP (rarely leaves my side). When I leave town I run a Kyrptonite cable through the action of each gun, which is ran through several hardened steel holes bolted to the studs in the wall.

The more valuable guns are in a safe in the corner of the closet, bolted to the floor.

Most robbers wouldn't notice a locked closet, most wouldnt try to defeat a steel door and deadbolt, and most wouldnt take the time to smash a solid maple cover for the quick access guns in the corner. Just a few ideas.

·
Registered
369 Posts
scruffylad said:
TSA would likely get grumpy is I traveled with a barrel, but I doubt they would even see the firing pin in a scan?
Actually, they could be more than grumpy if you are traveling with your Frame Insert. If you look at the Ruger parts list in the LCP instruction book, page 28, at the bottom says that the Frame Insert is a serial numbered part and is defined as a firearm by federal law.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah I would advise against trying to get the barrel through the airport. They might go looking in some "uncomfortable" places for the rest of the gun. ;)

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Denny4kids said:
Coffee is ready, I walked to the kitchen and thought of 25+ places you could hide elsie. Maybe you could remove the worry from your life. For that you could look up worry in the back of your Bible and in 10 minutes you could be free. My 50cent. Den

PS welcome to the forum.
...frankly, I agree with Den (and others). The LCP without a barrel or slide assembly isn't a potential threat. I certainly don't think taking the magic component(s) on a trip is a wise use of time and possble exposure to inquiries. Just remove the part in question and find a place to store it out of the knowledge and reach of others. Heck, I'd place the barrel (properly oiled) in an opaque baggie labeled "Calf's Liver" in the frig freezer if I wished to go to extremes. If the BG can find that, then my hat's off to 'um...better mind than mine. Just remember...when they enter they have limited time and they are not on a scavenger hunt. Also, depends on who has permisson to enter your home while you are away. That should be limited, IMHO.

Tarheel

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Western Pa.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
From a newbie standpoint, your concerns are well grounded, but as others have said, you might be worrying too much. Take the advice of these knowledgable members, find a great hiding place for you barrel, and stop worrying. A solid well built gun safe, big or small, is always a good option too! Good luck. Yogi ;D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Y'all rock. That's really all that needs saying. And I think I am over-thinking this a bit.

Perhaps to clarify, I only have one gun, and that's Elsie. Given its size, I didn't invest in a larger case, it's only a Pelican case that I have a padlock for... and that's the reason for me wanting to further disable the gun. I mean, a light-weight case for a light-weight gun, and it even comes with a convenient handle... yeah, that's almost an invitation. Keeps my 2 yr old out, but not anyone else. Barrel in a different hiding spot seems to be more than enough.

Again, y'all rock. Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
238 Posts
That Gun Vault comes with a security cable, so you'd be set. I do the same thing (cable a lockbox to the bed frame) except with one that is larger with push button code entry for easy access for when you hear a thump in the night.

·
Registered
664 Posts
patjmc said:
That Gun Vault comes with a security cable, so you'd be set. I do the same thing (cable a lockbox to the bed frame) except with one that is larger with push button code entry for easy access for when you hear a thump in the night.
That's my setup too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use the GunVault Nano and love it. It resides in my gun cabinet during the day and under my pillow at night, unlocked, housing my XD 40, 2 spare mags and a Streamlight tactical flashlight. Provides me with instant undetected access to my firearm and flashlight at the quiet turn of a handle. It is also handy for securing a firearm in your vehicle or home using the provided cable.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I"m not TSA. A colleague of mine was busted by them toting a handgun into the secure area. He spent the night in the lockup, got his picture published. There are rules for toting a firearm in non carry on luggage I don't recall them.

I have a safe. If it's not on me or near me, it's in the safe. I considered hiding the safe. I have a little safe in my car that will slow down an amateur burglar but it's good for when I need to go to the Post Office or work. My employers are very irritable about "guns!".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts