Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When CCI firm began to offer their CCI Quiet .22 Long Rifle ammunition at 720 FPS, I was bound and determined to get that ammunition to fully function in one of my Ruger Mark pistols. I chose my Ruger Mark III 22/45 because it has a threaded barrel and I wanted it as the host for when my suppressor arrived.
I tried everything I could that was included in MY "bag of tricks" learned over the years involved with helping these Ruger pistols reach a higher performance level.
Changing springs in NOT the answer and if anybody claims they have a Ruger Mark pistol that fully functions the 720 FPS by changing springs, quickly run out and turn on the BS meter:

After trying every spring I thought would work, I got to the point where the recoil spring was so dang weak the pistol would not function. Next step; lighten up a bolt to the point where that MIGHT work:

I milled and drill away metal to make this Ruger Mark bolt 2 ounces lighter than a normal weight Ruger bolt. Still not fully functional shooting the 720 FPS CCI Quiet.
Final solution; a custom made Ruger Mark style bolt made from a "secret" metal that wound up weighing less than half of the weight that a normal steel Ruger bolt weighs fully equipped with all the needed parts. Superb function, and completed without any ownership on my part of a personal "gunsmith":

Fully functional with CCI Quiet 720 FPS ammunition and with the suppressor attached, it's at the same decibel level as a chipmunk fart.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nice project.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts