Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a huge fan of the Ruger Mark II pistols, and have been working with and on these guns since 1969. Here are a couple of my favorites:

Both have better sears, better extractors, better steel triggers and have been smoothed internally to function much much better than before.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Bet they shoot as good as they look, Dennis!! :tears_of_joy:

My first MKII, a 93' Comp Target Slab Sided 6 7\8, was a stock sweet shooter. My oldest has had it since 96', so just recently found an un-fired 86' MkII 6" Std and all I felt it needed was an adjustable trigger. Now with just 1\16" total travel and a 2.6# "break-like-glass" action, it fits my hunting\plinking side carry needs perfectly and off a rest, actually shoots tight groups at 25 yds! :joyous:

Ted

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Nice pic! I too am a big fan of the Mk IIs.

I'd guess my fave is my 4" stainless bull barrel.

Kind of funny, because if I was pressed I'd say my least fave is my 5.5"
stainless bull barrel.

The best shooter is a 6 7/8 heavy taper in blue. A stainless would be super sweet.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Hmm, I've never see a stainless 6 7/8 heavy taper stainless.
Have to expand my collection if so.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the Ruger Mark II pistols, and have been working with and on these guns since 1969. Here are a couple of my favorites:

Both have better sears, better extractors, better steel triggers and have been smoothed internally to function much much better than before.
Beauties.

What extractors are you using?

Here’s my Mark II Competition and a Mark IV with integral Suppressor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
431 Posts
SGW, I tried to warm up this forum to no avail, the last post was my own vback in last year. Oh well.
I just joined and will attempt to warm up like you did. I get crickets at times but that's is how it goes. I got some responses at times so I will keep chiming in when I get a chance. Good luck and happy shooting. Be safe! I do love the pics in this thread though!!!!

Reactions: SGW Gunsmith

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, for the fella who has never seen a Ruger Mark II 6 7/8 ths Heavy Taper Target in stainless steel, here ya go:

This pistol had the Weigand no drill/tap optics base on it. It sat too high for my liking so I drilled and tapped the receiver for a base that I make.

Reactions: RICHGCOOP

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Looks really gud!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These, are by far, the MOST accurate Ruger Mark II pistols that I have:

When I test any newly acquired .22 Long Rifle ammunition, I first see what it will do at 35 meters. Why 35 meters? Well, I wasn't paying attention to what setting my 'range finder' was set for, so, instead of yards, my target stand is set-up at that distance.
About the only way I feel I can remove most all, if not all, of any human input from me, is to use this contraption to test .22 rimfire ammunition from my pistols:

If the ammunition I test at 35 meters proves to look like a load of buckshot hit the target, then, I don't feel any further testing at longer distances is warranted and I don't bother with that brand and style for these Rugers. And BTW, I have found that when one of my Ruger Mark II pistols like a certain .22 rimfire round, the others I have sorta like that one too.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
So, overall, which brand/type is the overall winner?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My Rugers mostly like CCI Standard & SK Pistol Standard velocity. I try many others from time to time, but for anything serious I usually go with those two.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi! What are the most powerful bullet rounds you suggest with LR22 hollow point for self defense? Also, is there a way to understand which LR22 bullets will be too strong for my Mark II 6-7/8" barrel? Do not want my Ruger to be ruined. What do you think?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi! What are the most powerful bullet rounds you suggest with LR22 hollow point for self defense? Also, is there a way to understand which LR22 bullets will be too strong for my Mark II 6-7/8" barrel? Do not want my Ruger to be ruined. What do you think?
Over the 50+ years that I've dealt with Ruger Mark pistols, most often, FPS, or velocity involving the normal high velocity .22 Long Rifle ammunition at around, or close, to 1200 FPS, like CCI Mini-Mags, will allow your Ruger Mark pistol to last through, and until your grandkids take over.
Ruger does admonish to NOT use hyper velocity rounds like the CCI Stingers at (1640 FPS) or even the Velocitor rounds at around 1435 FPS. There just seems to be too much "recoil impulse energy" involved from those hyper velocity rounds. I do have a bolt stop pin that I removed from an owner who admitted to using Stingers almost exclusively in his Ruger Mark II, and the bolt stop pin is slightly bent backward. What's not so apparent is how the bolt stop pin holes in the receiver have been elongated backward from the bolt battering the bolt stop pin. A bolt stop pin can be replaced for around $9.00, a receiver, much, much more. So, you decide as to what type of .22 Long Rifle for your Mark pistol. I prefer the "Stingers" for my Ruger 77/22 bolt action rifle, only.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts