Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never met an owner of a .22 semi-automatic target pistol who didn't have some curiosity as to how accurate his newly purchased pistol would be. And, as for me, I wanted to get one of these contraptions to determine the "built-in" accuracy on every Ruger Mark pistol that I own, so therefore the investment in this Ransom Rest:

In use, the pistols grip frame, grips removed, is clamped between false jaws that are moulded to hold the grip frames profile perfectly rigid in the rest.
The rest is attached to a ½ thick plywood panel, which is then clamped solidly to the top of my shooting bench which is also solidly embedded in earth for all six of the 4 X 4 legs. So, the set-up is very rigid.
The trigger itself is not touched by the operator, so the rest has an adjustable 90° lever that has one end that touches the trigger shoe face. To fire the pistol, the lever is pulled back slightly.
All this "gizmo" is asked to do, is to allow the pistol in use. to shoot five round groups without any human influence, as best as what the built-in accuracy of the gun and ammunition used, will allow. For the pistol shown below, the group with it is typical of what it will do with the ammunition chosen for the testing involved:

Now, that's the group size I will try to emulate with that ammunition, when I have that pistol under my complete control.
Unfortunately, as some claim, there are NO kits being sold at this point in firearms progression, that will make ANY handgun more accurate than as it was sold. But, there are indeed "Performance Packages" that will help a particular pistol to PERFORM its functions much better, but it's still up to the human holding the grips to try and wring out all the "built-in" accuracy the firearm possesses.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what distance will you use?
I normally use my target stand that's 33 meters from the front edge of my bench. I messed up when I planted that target stand and had my Bushnell range finder set for meters rather than yards. I actually want it to be 33 yards.
That's the distance I start with when testing some .22 rimfire ammunition to see how well it groups BEFORE I try going out any further, if the particular pistol seems to like that ammunition. So, if it shoots well at 33 meters, I'll then know dang well that it should do pretty good at 25 yards and 50 feet, or shooting at my practice plates on my range behind my shop:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is the range of the target for that group?
Are you asking about the plates? If so, those are at 30 feet from where I shoot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts