Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I previously posted about a multiple failure to eject (FTE) when running 200 rounds through my new LCP. I sent the gun off to Ruger and they replaced the barrel and the slide and returned the gun to me in two weeks. I took the gun to the range and shot off another 200 rounds( a mix of Winchester, Remington and PMC). The gun was flawless and it's obvious by the increased vigor of the ejections that the major parts replacement fixed the problem. BTW, anyone who thinks shooting off 200 rounds in an LCP is fun has never fired a Glock 17. The obvious ejection problem with this gun, as evidenced by the parts replacement, should have been caught by Rugers quality control and the original gun should not have been shipped.

I called Ruger customer service again last Thursday afternoon, and requested that they replace the original 200 rounds that I burned doing their quality control. The customer service rep said that her supervisor would call me right back. No call-back Thursday or Friday. I interpret this as a "no" to my request.

Bottom line on Ruger Customer Serivice: Yes, they fixed the gun under warranty with quick turnaround. No, they didn't "do the right thing" for their customer in a fact situation where their factory clearly dropped the ball.

·
Registered
210 Posts
JMOfartO:

Respectfully I think asking Ruger CS to replace the 200 rds you burnt up waiting for your LCP to malfunction was a waste of your time in requesting it, and a waste of Ruger Customer Service folks for having to hear it.

Ruger has NO idea what particular 200 rounds you fired through your LCP.. YOU know what rounds you fired, but they don't, and have no way of knowing, and they don't know you, and therefore aren't going to just take your word for it the ammo was new, and of quality manufacture, and not some off brand, or perhaps a particular round that is considered to be "+p", which is a no no..

The fact that they fixed the problem is an indication to me that they are doing their jobs, and that's about all you can ask...

Free ammo would be nice, but you will never get it because of such a situation. Just not gonna happen.

Everything made by man has the potential to break...

You just had the misfortune to have it happen to your pistol..

Sorry for you it broke, glad for you it got fixed under the lifetime warranty, and not surprised you didn't get 200rds of free ammo in the mail as replacement for that you had already fired..

Life is good, but life is not perfect.

No offense,

jesse

P.S. If the customer service you were dealing with was say, Beretta, or Taurus, you'd still be waiting for your pistol to come back, and when it came back it would be a toss up as to whether or not it had actually been repaired.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Some thoughts,

Any new gun needs to be shot-in, especially a semi auto, to get everything to "wear-in" and do the final smoothing and mating of the parts....

That takes 200-300 rounds of fire.....

I have a Colt Custom Shop tuned Python revolver....total cost well over $1000 in 1967....best revolver ever made IMHO (maybe equaled by some S&W' of the era - but I'm fond of my Colt revolvers and my 1911s).....After I received it back from them after custom tuning, I was advised to fire at least 50 single action rounds and 150 double action rounds to complete the job....read that "finalize the mating of the hand fitted parts...I did exactly that....after that "break-in", the gun had a glass breaking 2.5 pound single action let off and a butter smooth 7.5 pound double action let off...

Interesting, with a bit of polish and honing of the parts and similar "break-in", my SP101 is nearly as smooth (double action) and has a very clean single action let off in the 2.5-3 pound area.

Conclusion....a well made modern gun requires the same "break-in" .....Elsie included...

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
...yes, that would be nice, but not practical. I buy a new car and drive it for 5000 miles. The darn thing skips occasionally. I take it back to the dealer and they replace the entire electronic ignition system, no questions asked. I request the manufacturer to pay for the gas I used "test driving" their car that should have been perfect. Don't think so. As mentioned above, occasionally a product rolls off the line not absolutely perfect...it happens. They fix it. Decent customer care, IMHO. I do agree, however, that you should have been given an answer...good, bad or indifferent.

Tarheel

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nightbird

I respectfully think that your request would be a true "reach". Ruger has no idea or verifiable information on which ammo you were using. The mantra has always been "shoot it in". I personally believe this is 500 +/- rounds before a trusted carry. Others may have different opinions. I am happy to hear that it functioned well when returned to you from the factory.

My LCP functions without flaw. About 700 rounds now with no issues except one after market mag. I trust this pistol every day now. If you wish to press your complaint with Ruger, I would suggest the supply of documentation on ammo purchased that failed to fire and struck the primer, failed to eject, stove piped, etc. with pictoral examples. Other than that, enjoy the Elsie. It is not a fun range gun in my opinion, but very capable of its designed use. Close and personal combat when lethal force is required.

Rgds,
TJ

·
Registered
906 Posts
I had a problem with my new LCP, sent it back and got it back 4 weeks later fixed. No hat, no mag, no ammo, just the way it should have been the day I bought it. That's OK for me, but what gets me is, how many people bought a bum one, loaded it up and never tested it?

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
I would be happy to get Elsie back in good working order................ ;D

So far I have been lucky I guess......My Elsie has been flawless for 9 months now.... ;D

For $279 plus tax I didnt expect a Kimber.......but wow....shes been good to me so far....... :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
...you are a happy camper, Trigger. However, I think "unlucky" is a rather strong terminology. I know that is not what you intended. The minor issues with the LCP are, indeed, not extreme. I am always subject to correction...just connect an whip my ass ;D. Best to all.

Tarheel

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Tarheel ......I had to chuckle when I read your post....... ;D

I dont know who used the term unlucky but I do feel lucky.....

Ya know some had to send their Elsie in for some serious replacement parts......

Ruger will take care of those in need we all know that........... ;D

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Bottom line for me is that I believe Ruger has very well above average customer service....they take care of their customers......just don't "expect the un-realistiic"....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts