Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ruger. 22lr but not sure of the model. It does not indicate Mark I. It just says. 22 cal long rifle automatic pistol. I've had it for about 30 years, serial number 18903x. Is this considered a Mark I?
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Figured it out. Was on the mobile site. Pick ok on full site. Your's looks like mine but with black grips. Are these rare pieces?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Mine were black also but I had them epoxied white for contrast. I am making a set of Custom grips from a piece of Paduk (African Blood Wood) as this will be my grandsons pistol someday. They are not rare but are getting harder to find.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was just wondering what they were worth, thinking about selling mine. Will have to research what they are selling for. Thanks for your responses.
Steve

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Steve, your Ruger was manufactured 1960-61.

Ruger Standard and Mark I Serial Number History

The Standard was manufactured from 1949-82. In 1951 Ruger made and stamped a variant as the Mark I Target...this pistol was primarily for military training. The Mark II came into play, with a few mechanical upgrades, from 1982 to 2005...the Mark III with additional upgrades from 2005 to present. Prices are all over the board for the Standard, depending on percent condition yours is in. They are not considered collectables at this point. There are simply too many of them remaining in circulation. The only ones that fall into that category are the ones manufactured 1949-51 with the authentic Ruger red emblem on the grip. It was changed to black when Bill Ruger died. Personally, I'd keep the pistol and pass it along if appropriate. Everyone should have a Mark series in their handgun inventory for general range work, especially with the prices of ammo being so high for anything larger than .22lr. JMHO.

Tarheel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the history! Looks like from 1951 to 1982 Ruger made the Standard and the Mark I since mine does not have Mark I engraved on it. My pistol is about 43 years old. It is in very good shape. I had it stored away for the last 30 years because I lived in states where it was difficult to get a permit. Will prpbably hang on to it as you suggest.
Steve

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
...my apology, Steve...the dates were not correct...not sure where my brain was at the time of posting, as I knew them quite well...corrected above.

Thx.

Tarheel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have those mornings too. You are right about ammo costs these days. Actually have not been able to find. 22 ammo either so my practice had been limited.
Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts