Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'meant finally the proud owner of a ruger 10/22 carbine!! Found one in great condition at a local pawn shop and I couldn't resist...
Now that I'm finally on the 10/22 train, I'm really looking forward to customizing it into my personal style of lightweight carbine.
that being said, I've already started my research on after market parts: first and foremost, a piece (made by volquartsen) that allows auto bolt release (still new to the gun game as you can see by my vocab) and an extended mag release lever. After reading a few reviews I've found out that others have had a rough time with certain magazine release levers with their rifles (most of which were made in the 80s/120 serial #s) what after market parts do you guys prefer for your 10/22s? I'm familiar with volquartsen but Im just curious if theres anything else I should look into

·
Registered
863 Posts
Congrats on the score, nothing like bringing an old gun to life !!!

I must confess..... I've never owned a 10/22 nor even shot one, been tempted many times over the years to pick one up but something else always gets in the way :)

I'm looking to get a takedown sometime in the distant future, I'm tapped at the moment but when expendable funds become available again I really need to pick one up before another gun gets in the way again..

·
Registered
491 Posts
There are three basic firearms everyone should have, a .22 semi-auto pistol, a .22 revolver and .22 rifle.

I have four (three threaded), one and two of these.

·
Super Moderator
4,595 Posts
NICE fine. Can you share with us some before and after pics when you customize it and a range report?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would love to! Thinking about ordering $100 worth of parts tonight, I'love keep everybody posted!
I really want to see some other custom 10/22s if you guys got em...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
10-22's are great rifles straight out of the box.
They're also easy to customize. Here's mine.
Some parts I made, but mostly stuff you can buy.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have a stock 10/22 that I got in the early to mid 80's. Great gun. All I added was an old Weaver 4X scope. But that is all it needs to be very accurate. I live in the country and that gun is has proven to be invaluable to me! Just make sure any of the extended mags have steel lips.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The stock on the bottom rifle is awesome!!! Is that handmade or available? Im leaning more towards mobility and versatility rather than bench-accuracy with mine. I really like that "ww2 paratrooper" esque look

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The stock on the bottom rifle is awesome!!! Is that handmade or available? Im leaning more towards mobility and versatility rather than bench-accuracy with mine. I really like that "ww2 paratrooper" esque look
Got that stock back in the 80's from a supplier in Boulder Co called 'Feather Enterprises'. I know he later moved to Denver. Don't know if they're still around or not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah... saw that on youtube. Wish I new that before I ordered a nice Volquartsen piece :(
Aw well, at least I'll have a spare right?
Care to recommend good scopes under $80? I don't need anything ridiculous for a .22 I was thinking more along the lines of a tough reflex scope for mid range plinking, possible run-n-gun obstacle courses

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
There have been some deals recently on optics. I got a Simmons 22 Mag on sale with a rebate that ended up about $32, and Midway had a deal on a nice Sightron that ran $130.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome, thanks again man!!
Just recieved: auto bolt release, extended mag release and my butler creek stock! Photos soon to come!!
(I've come to the conclusion that 10/22s to shooters are like LEGOS to kiddos... I might end up with a dozen of these by the time I'm too old to shoot)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't figure out this photo stuff to save my life... Anyway, this was at 15 yards, aim was off but the grouping was a testament to ruger

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The upper right and upper left were at 10 yards, the center and bottom ones were at 15. I'd credit this to my lack of skill though, pretty satisfied

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
before: my average reload speed was about 4.5 seconds, kept fumbling with the 10 rnd magazinemail but other than that, shot like a dream

After: haven't hit the range yet. But I'm honestly not expecting much of difference snice I didn't mess with the barrel or hammer. The extended mag release is awesome though!! Pretty sure it cut my reload speed in half (although a bx25 would be much easier im sure. Stupid colorado mag cap rabble rabble rabble..)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts