Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Rohrbaugh 9mm
Does any own one, know someone who owns one, or have you shot one ?
I have been thinking about getting one. John

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
jwardiii said:
That thought's been growing in my mind, also.
Don't hear to many complaints on the Rohrbaugh. Nice gun. damn hard to find anywhere. They are alittle more ammo sensitive than most 9's but once you find the ccw rounds that works right, just stay with it. This certainly is not a range gun, just so small, recoil is not really pleasant.

but it is quality through out..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey Jocko

Always nice to get your input. I was reading in one of the rags recently someone's loading a ccw round tailored specifically for the Rorbaugh. But if I recall right it was an 80 or 90 gr. round at 11 or 12. When I read it I had to wonder... No gain there I can see. I'd have to put some 115 grainers in there I think and endure the pain.

t

·
Registered
38 Posts
jwardiii said:
...... I was reading in one of the rags recently someone's loading a ccw round tailored specifically for the Rorbaugh. But if I recall right it was an 80 or 90 gr. round at 11 or 12. When I read it I had to wonder... No gain there I can see. I'd have to put some 115 grainers in there I think and endure the pain.
t
From what I've learned on different sites:

The Corbon 9mm 80gr DPX is a standard pressure round sporting a copper projectile. Full copper bullets supposedly have different characteristics than lead based bullets. Copper bullets penetrate deeper than lead bullets of comparative weight.

The bullet will expand reliably at about 850 fps. After the expansion, the velocity drives how deep it penetrates. This load penetrates 15" and expands consistently to .60" in properly prepared ballistic gel with a 4 layer denim barrier (I think this is from a 4" SAAMI barrel).

www.corbon.com

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at the Rohrbaugh site and they sell the Corbon DPX in 9mm and .380. The 9mm pushes a 80gr solid copper HP slug @1300fps, and the .380 uses the same slug and travels 1050fps. the 9mm is $35/20rds
John

·
Registered
144 Posts
MurrayNevada said:
jwardiii said:
...... I was reading in one of the rags recently someone's loading a ccw round tailored specifically for the Rorbaugh. But if I recall right it was an 80 or 90 gr. round at 11 or 12. When I read it I had to wonder... No gain there I can see. I'd have to put some 115 grainers in there I think and endure the pain.
t

The Corbon 9mm 80gr DPX is a standard pressure round sporting a copper projectile. Full copper bullets supposedly have different characteristics than lead based bullets. Copper bullets penetrate deeper than lead bullets of comparative weight.

The bullet will expand reliably at about 850 fps. After the expansion, the velocity drives how deep it penetrates. This load penetrates 15" and expands consistently to .60" in properly prepared ballistic gel with a 4 layer denim barrier (I think this is from a 4" SAAMI barrel).

www.corbon.com
A copper bullet would be lighter than lead. Why would it penetrate deeper? I would expect it would not penetrate as deep.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
yankee2500 said:
I looked at the Rohrbaugh site and they sell the Corbon DPX in 9mm and .380. The 9mm pushes a 80gr solid copper HP slug @1300fps, and the .380 uses the same slug and travels 1050fps. the 9mm is $35/20rds
John
I wonder why anyone would want the corbon dpx 9mmin 80 grain. it flys at 1300 FPS and gives 300 ft# of energy
sounds great but one can shoot the corbon 115 dpx and fly it at 1250 FPS and get 400# FT# of energy. A no brainer IMO.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
maybejim said:
MurrayNevada said:
jwardiii said:
t

www.corbon.com
A copper bullet would be lighter than lead. Why would it penetrate deeper? I would expect it would not penetrate as deep.
why would that be??/115 grain lead and 115 grain copper bullet weight the same???or am I missing something here???

·
Registered
38 Posts
jocko said:
.........I wonder why anyone would want the corbon dpx 9mmin 80 grain. it flys at 1300 FPS and gives 300 ft# of energy sounds great but one can shoot the corbon 115 dpx and fly it at 1250 FPS and get 400# FT# of energy. A no brainer IMO.
Jocko,
The 80gr 9mm DPX is a standard pressure load. The 115gr 9mm DPX is a +P load. Rohrbaugh recommends NOT using +P loads.
Mike

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
MurrayNevada said:
jocko said:
.........I wonder why anyone would want the corbon dpx 9mmin 80 grain. it flys at 1300 FPS and gives 300 ft# of energy sounds great but one can shoot the corbon 115 dpx and fly it at 1250 FPS and get 400# FT# of energy. A no brainer IMO.
Jocko,
The 80gr 9mm DPX is a standard pressure load. The 115gr 9mm DPX is a +P load. Rohrbaugh recommends NOT using +P loads.
Mike
sure didn't know that about no +p. In that case that is the only 9mm round u could shoot with the name corbon on it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
jocko said:
sure didn't know that about no +p. In that case that is the only 9mm round u could shoot with the name corbon on it.
You are correct Jocko. I've heard that this is the reason for development. It's for the Rohrbaugh and others not wanting a +P load but looking for +P type performance.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems from the Chuck Hawk article they are some pretty good bullets that hold together well upon impact, that will also help in penatration if they do not break apart like jacketed bullets can. John

·
Registered
112 Posts
maybejim said:
There are several factors which affect penetration.

First, a lighter bullet accelerates faster because it has less inertia, so muzzle velocity tends to be a bit higher with lighter loads. Since the energy of a bullet follows an equation generally in the form of -
bullet mass*velocity*velocity (velocity squared), increases in velocity have a greater effect on bullet energy than increases in mass. Making a slightly lighter bullet go a lot faster makes a more powerful load.

Second, copper bullets have a different shape than lead bullets - in order to achieve a similar weight they have to be longer. This subtly changes the sectional mass of the bullet - shifting it slightly toward being more like a spear with more of the mass behind the point than just around it like an ordinary lead cartridge.

Third, the metal characteristics of copper are very different from lead. Copper is more "ductile" which means that the metal holds together more under duress. Copper, for example, can be drawn into long thin wire while lead (due to its more granular crystaline structure) would fragment. Lead bullets will often fragment, and the bullet mass breaks up into numerous smaller, less massive, projectiles which lose their momentum rapidly. Copper bullets almost always retain 100% of their original weight so all their momentum ends up driving the bullet forward and deeper.

·
Registered
122 Posts
argyle said:
maybejim said:
Large Snip - -- -- ---

Second, copper bullets have a different shape than lead bullets - in order to achieve a similar weight they have to be longer. This subtly changes the sectional mass of the bullet - shifting it slightly toward being more like a spear with more of the mass behind the point than just around it like an ordinary lead cartridge.

Large Snip - - -- - - --- - - - -
Argyle,

Good post. Well written and good information.

Concerning the extra length of the bullet due to shape: If this lengthens the entire cartridge, even if only a several thousands of an inch, it will create a problem for very close tolerance pistols like the Rohrbaugh and the Seecamp 380. I know. I have one of each and they are both very ammo sensitive. With the Seecamp it is "documented" that the overall cartridge length is a critical issue.

It may or may not affect performance in the LCP. It will take a few range reports I guess to sort that out. Also, it would be interesting to have someone measure the overall length of new cartridge vis a vis other proven products like Gold Dot.

Regards, Quiet1

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Quiet1 said:
argyle said:
maybejim said:
Large Snip - -- -- ---

Large Snip - - -- - - --- - - - -
Argyle,

Good post. Well written and good information.

Concerning the extra length of the bullet due to shape: If this lengthens the entire cartridge, even if only a several thousands of an inch, it will create a problem for very close tolerance pistols like the Rohrbaugh and the Seecamp 380. I know. I have one of each and they are both very ammo sensitive. With the Seecamp it is "documented" that the overall cartridge length is a critical issue.

It may or may not affect performance in the LCP. It will take a few range reports I guess to sort that out. Also, it would be interesting to have someone measure the overall length of new cartridge vis a vis other proven products like Gold Dot.

Regards, Quiet1
humm they don't seem to be longer in any of my semi's. They have to clear the magazines don't they???? OAL is a critical issue in any semi..

·
Registered
122 Posts
jocko,

We're talking a few thousandths of an inch. You'd probably be surprised at the variance of overall cartridge lengths sometimes even in the same cartridge but different lot numbers.

Sure they'll all clear the magazine but in the Seecamp for sure, due to tight tolerances and its overall design (I'm not a gun design engineer and do not play on on TV) overall cartridge length is a critical issue and cartridges that are too long will cause FTF problems. I can not state with any certainty that is the case in my Rohrbaugh but I do know that it is an ammo sensitive pistol.

Regards, Quiet1

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just a post script to my previous post: If you take a look over at the Rohrbaugh Forum you will see that many of the members who have tried the new Corbon round have had problems and have decided to stay with their previous ammo of choice.

Also, regarding the Seecamp, when I said FTF I intended to mean Failure to feed problems. (Not failure to fire.)

Regards, Quiet1

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Quiet1 said:
Just a post script to my previous post: If you take a look over at the Rohrbaugh Forum you will see that many of the members who have tried the new Corbon round have had problems and have decided to stay with their previous ammo of choice.

Also, regarding the Seecamp, when I said FTF I intended to mean Failure to feed problems. (Not failure to fire.)

Regards, Quiet1
both models are more ammo sensitive for some reasons. Have no doubts the rohrbaugh as small as it is is very ammo sensitive. find what works buy a 1000 rounds and just shoot it like you stole it..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.