Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone:
Ruger has agreed to re-blue my slide due to salt corrosion from my sweat (I know now to keep the firearm oiled especially when simply carrying it during hot/humid days).

They suggested that the slide only be shipped priority mail or UPS Ground to

SRC,
Attn: Customer Service
200 Ruger Road
Prescott, AZ 86301.

My question to you all, is what is the best way to package the slide?

Thanks!

-Gary

Cincinnati, OH

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
My question to you all, is what is the best way to package the slide?
I would use a rigid cardboard box. Wrap the slide so it won't take any hits as the box is bounced around. Tape the box up good and tight. Make sure you put the proper labels on the outside and duplicate the information about who you are and everything they would need to get the slide back to you inside the box.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Small priority flat rate box--free from USPS. Wrap the snot out of it with bubble wrap. It will be good to go. Add insurance for the value of a new slide if it cost more than $50. $50 insurance is free on a small priority flat rate box. Just in case Mr Murphy rears his head. Identification and contact info inside.

You can mail in your mail box. If you go to the post office don't tell them it is a gun part. Many don't have a clue on their own rules. You mention a gun part they are likely going to be told you can't do it. That is true for guns unless you have an FFL.

To avoid any USPS problems use UPS.

·
Super Moderator
4,595 Posts
Just get a mailing tube from the post office or from a UPS store. The tube will be sufficient to mail the slid back to Ruger.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Welcome to the forum devoegw! Too bad there isn't something else wrong with the weapon, you could send it back on their nickel and have one of their gunsmiths work it over. Den

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome - I'll post a message in the New Member Introduction forum as well!:icon_ lala:

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Welcome to the forum devoegw! Too bad there isn't something else wrong with the weapon, you could send it back on their nickel and have one of their gunsmiths work it over. Den
"Salt corrosion" from your own sweat. Salt is Salt and there should be a certain amount of due diligence to common sense firearm maintenance. I would imagine that it will happen again down the road. Might want to look at other coating. On the other hand is just bad blueing. This happened to my LCR. It is not from salt or chemicals. I wipe down my firearms every time I use them. Ruger fixed this and no problems since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts