Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to rechamber the .380 ruger lcp into 9mm makarov?
It looks like the bullets are both the same length and so 9mak should fit .380 magazine. The bullet diameter for .380 is .355 and for mak is .363, which is only .008 of an inch difference. Even though the lcp barrel is very thin at one section, we are still talking about a tiny amount of metal removed, I believe. The max chamber pressures are ~21,500 and for 9mak, ~23,200 psi. What do you all think?

·
Registered
80 Posts
No idea, but I know the LCP is NOT rated for 380 +p ammo. So there's a very good chance that's a risky move. On the other hand, wouldn't 380 +p yield similar benefits?

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to rechamber the .380 ruger lcp into 9mm makarov?
It looks like the bullets are both the same length and so 9mak should fit .380 magazine. The bullet diameter for .380 is .355 and for mak is .363, which is only .008 of an inch difference. Even though the lcp barrel is very thin at one section, we are still talking about a tiny amount of metal removed, I believe. The max chamber pressures are ~21,500 and for 9mak, ~23,200 psi. What do you all think?
Simply rechambering the LCP barrel for the 9mm Makarov would be akin to making a bomb.

Thinning out the LCP barrel would be extremely dangerous because it cannot even safely contain high-pressure .380 ACP ammo (sometimes sold as "+P" even though there is no SAAMI specification for +P in .380 ACP caliber).

If you merely bored out the chamber to fit the 9mm Makarov and did nothing to the inside of the barrel itself, the chamber pressure when firing a 9mm Makarov cartridge would be significantly higher than normal for the cartridge.

In addition, the 9mm Makarov cartridge case is nominally .033" longer than the .380 ACP cartridge case. This means that you would be having to deal with the leade and that could cause additional problems.

It's very unlikely that you could re-bore and re-rifle the barrel without destroying it.

Bottom line - NOT an idea worth following up.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Skip nailed it on rechambering the barrel, a very bad idea.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 9mm Makarov round has the base size of a 9mm Luger but has a straight wall case. The pressures are similar to that of a 380 ACP. There is no SAAMI spec but tests indicate around 22,000 PSI.

The performance gain in making this conversion is marginal. You would need to replace the magazines, feed ramp and barrel. Just isn't worth it.

I would consider converting the LC9 to 9x18 if there was a reason for it such as ammunition problems obtaining the 9mm luger or if the US were adopt laws that forbid civilian use of "military ammunition". You'd need to rechamber the barrel, change the ramp geometry of the barrel linkage to accommodate the weaker 9x18 and go from there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This, I like to tinker too. However, I draw the line at the most basic functions.
The 9x17 has a rim diameter of .374", the 9x18 has a rim diameter of .390", the 9x19 has a rim diameter of .392.

SAAMI specs for 380 is 21500PSI, the Makarov is around 20,000 PSI.

I would recommend trying to convert the LC9 rather than the LCP. Safer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why would you want to? If you want a 9mm, buy a 9mm.

Jeff
A while back 380 ACP was as rare as hen's teeth. 9mm Makarov was easy to find.

Sometimes one could get 380 reloading components, sometimes they could get 9mm Makarov components.

It's kind of cool to have something American that shoots Soviet made ammunition. Isn't practical but it's cool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts